Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, not sure if I should have posted this in "wrench heads", or the "engine" sections but needed to see if anyone has experienced this, or I am just worrying for nothing...

Went riding yesterday & today, and had my 900 Classic just stop (stall) while coming to a stop at an intersection. It happen only once each day, but since I have had it now (8 months, or 4,000 miles) she has not died, stalled or quit on me. Is there anything I should be concerned with or look for now? She runs great otherwise, and starts right back up. Just found it weird to have happend two days in a row.

Could this be bad gas? Idle seems fine. I'm not hearing any funny noises. Apologize if this is stupid, or I'm worried for nothing.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Okay, not sure if I should have posted this in "wrench heads", or the "engine" sections but needed to see if anyone has experienced this, or I am just worrying for nothing...

Went riding yesterday & today, and had my 900 Classic just stop (stall) while coming to a stop at an intersection. It happen only once each day, but since I have had it now (8 months, or 4,000 miles) she has not died, stalled or quit on me. Is there anything I should be concerned with or look for now? She runs great otherwise, and starts right back up. Just found it weird to have happend two days in a row.

Could this be bad gas? Idle seems fine. I'm not hearing any funny noises. Apologize if this is stupid, or I'm worried for nothing.
You mean it happened just the one time, or just once a day the past two days?

I had something like that sorta happen, I was slightly low on gas. But not extremely low. I was able to get to a station right away, barely though. Thankfully it was only a mile away when this happened, but after that it never happened again. So did this happen on the same tank of gas? Have you refilled since then? How long before this happened had you riden it before? Had it been sitting for awhile?

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You mean it happened just the one time, or just once a day the past two days?

I had something like that sorta happen, I was slightly low on gas. But not extremely low. I was able to get to a station right away, barely though. Thankfully it was only a mile away when this happened, but after that it never happened again. So did this happen on the same tank of gas? Have you refilled since then? How long before this happened had you riden it before? Had it been sitting for awhile?
It happened each day (so twice this weekend). Just filled the tank last weekend, and has over half a tank after today's ride. That's why I thought maybe it's a bad tank of gas (water??). Rode last weekend without any issue.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Same thing happened to me a few times in the last 6 months, usually a short way after riding off to work, I stopped at the light and just as I was to give it some throttle to move on, it died. Did this 2 days in a row.
I believe it has something to do with the bike being still in the 'warming up" stage.
I usually starts the bike a few minutes before riding, it does its high revs for a little while then quieten down and off I go but I have noticed that idling speed is still a bit low at around 940 rpms ( i have a tacho) after 4 or 5 kms it is back up at around 1000/1050 the dying thing never happened when the bike was fully warmed up.
This thing is too infrequent to worry me.
We are at the end of summer down here, I expect this might happen again in the full of winter.
We are lucky in Australia as we can ride all year long, we do not have snow or ice and very low temperatures like in the US or Europe but it can be on the cold side early morning.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Happened to me twice before I did the ECU recall and then it never happened again. Have you had that recall work done? Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Happened to me twice before I did the ECU recall and then it never happened again. Have you had that recall work done? Just a thought.
What recall? I have a 2010 Classic, purchased in July 2011. When was the notice sent out? Thanks...

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
What recall? I have a 2010 Classic, purchased in July 2011. When was the notice sent out? Thanks...
Mine's an '06 but I did a quick Google search and it appears the 2010 is also affected. I'm not sure when the notice was sent out, I bought mine in September of 2011 and received the notice a couple weeks after buying it. Took it to the dealership, took about an hour, they even washed the bike for me!

The recall specifically states that it could "Cause the engine to stall when coasting with the clutch pulled in due to an improper setting". Which is what happened to me. Once while slowing to a stop, another time while stopped at a stop sign. Just died.

-John

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Man sounds like bad gas but who knows? Stay away from high ethanol gas like at the walmart stations etc.. my bike does not like it nor does my honda civic. Gas mileage in my car will drop 4 to 5 mpg if I fill up at a walmart. Could be a loose battery connection too possibly.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I think bad gas, and like Frenchy said if it wasn't completely warmed up and funky gas. New tank of some hopefully ethanol free non-oxygenated, and a little Seafoam. Hopefully clear it up. Throw it on a trickle charge for a the week time if you ain't riding and make sure the battery is good.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mine's an '06 but I did a quick Google search and it appears the 2010 is also affected. I'm not sure when the notice was sent out, I bought mine in September of 2011 and received the notice a couple weeks after buying it. Took it to the dealership, took about an hour, they even washed the bike for me!

The recall specifically states that it could "Cause the engine to stall when coasting with the clutch pulled in due to an improper setting". Which is what happened to me. Once while slowing to a stop, another time while stopped at a stop sign. Just died.

-John
Man sounds like bad gas but who knows? Stay away from high ethanol gas like at the walmart stations etc.. my bike does not like it nor does my honda civic. Gas mileage in my car will drop 4 to 5 mpg if I fill up at a walmart. Could be a loose battery connection too possibly.
I think bad gas, and like Frenchy said if it wasn't completely warmed up and funky gas. New tank of some hopefully ethanol free non-oxygenated, and a little Seafoam. Hopefully clear it up. Throw it on a trickle charge for a the week time if you ain't riding and make sure the battery is good.

Thanks guys! Just ran my VIN out on Kawasaki's website (letting me know my warranty is up in July and can buy extended.... always selling :snicker:) and there are no outstanding recalls for my bike. The dealer must have already completed prior to selling the bike. I am going to use up the rest of this gas, and try a different station to fill up. If it continues will take it in for service. Still have a few months left on warranty.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Thanks guys! Just ran my VIN out on Kawasaki's website (letting me know my warranty is up in July and can buy extended.... always selling :snicker:) and there are no outstanding recalls for my bike. The dealer must have already completed prior to selling the bike. I am going to use up the rest of this gas, and try a different station to fill up. If it continues will take it in for service. Still have a few months left on warranty.
Get some seafoam, dump a little in. If it's bad gas, more often then not that'll take care of it.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Mine's an '06 ....
....The recall specifically states that it could "Cause the engine to stall when coasting with the clutch pulled in due to an improper setting". Which is what happened to me. Once while slowing to a stop, another time while stopped at a stop sign. Just died.

-John
Thanks for the info!
It does definitely sound like our stalling problem.
Mine is also a 06 model I bought in may last year, I actually asked the first owner if he had ever heard about any recalls for this year model and he said no.
The Wikipedia on the Vulcan 900 states a recall regarding some rubber petrol line that might get disconnected...
Otherwise nothing on Google...
Perhaps our australian model did not get affected...
Gilles

·
Registered
77 Posts
Another possibility would be water absorption in the current ethanol blended fuels we have these days. Several nights of condensation cycles in the gas tank can and will produce water droplets. When a water droplet hits the combustion chamber, no fire.

Another thing some don't know is that water droplets in our current fuel can drop the octane to dangerous levels.

Interesting read on that here........ http://www.fuel-testers.com/gasoline_octane_and_ethanol_E10.html

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Thanks for the info!
It does definitely sound like our stalling problem.
Mine is also a 06 model I bought in may last year, I actually asked the first owner if he had ever heard about any recalls for this year model and he said no.
The Wikipedia on the Vulcan 900 states a recall regarding some rubber petrol line that might get disconnected...
Otherwise nothing on Google...
Perhaps our australian model did not get affected...
Gilles
Recalls for Australian Kawa Bikes
http://www.recalls.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/952850

·
Registered
231 Posts
Happened here! 2009 Classic. Had only about 500 miles on it when it happened. hasn't happen since. Thing is...aside from the others, is that I was on the fly; doing about forty fifty and stalled. Pulled over and restarted no problem. I had about 1/4 tank of gas at the time and luckily a station was less the a mile away. Since, Ive not let it go that low. I thought about carrying some extra fuel. But just lazy and kinda dangerous ( I know it's all dangerous) besides that, I almost forgot about till I read this post...thanks for posting

1 - 16 of 16 Posts