Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my post-back surgery world I'm thinking of replacing my '06 650R Ninja with a cruiser. I recently looked at the Vulcan 900 Custom and Classic, along with the Star 950. I kinda like the Classic but..... I am not a fan of floorboards or the heel/toe shifter, though I may be able to get used to the brake pedal. The heel/toe shifter appeared to be mounted on a splined shaft. If this is correct, could the shifter be repositioned on the shaft so that I could get my toe under the front portion of the shifter to use it for both upshifts and downshifting? Or is the Custom my only option? To me, shifting with my heel seems like it would be an unnatural act in God's eyes. Thanks.

·
Registered
657 Posts
You should be able to reposition and even saw off the heel if you want. Personally, I use both and have found it to be a bit kinder to my body.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Unless you stole Herman Munsters' boots you can still get your toe under the toe shifter. I do it all the time.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Never use the heel shifter. Don't like having to move my foot back to shift. Have had no problem fitting 11EE under toe shifter even w/ steel toe work boots. Take one for a ride and try it out.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I love the heel/toe.
Best thing is you don't have to use the heel, if u don't want to. Shift as per regular shift. But, there is something satisfying about nailing the heel and hearing that big ole clunk.....

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
In my post-back surgery world I'm thinking of replacing my '06 650R Ninja with a cruiser. I recently looked at the Vulcan 900 Custom and Classic, along with the Star 950. I kinda like the Classic but..... I am not a fan of floorboards or the heel/toe shifter, though I may be able to get used to the brake pedal. The heel/toe shifter appeared to be mounted on a splined shaft. If this is correct, could the shifter be repositioned on the shaft so that I could get my toe under the front portion of the shifter to use it for both upshifts and downshifting? Or is the Custom my only option? To me, shifting with my heel seems like it would be an unnatural act in God's eyes. Thanks.

I looked at both bikes before deciding on the Vulcan over the 950, the major reason was watercooling as well as fuel injection, HP and a decent shield, In summer in AZ i would almost consider watercooled a must .... , the shifter has been fine for me, i rarely use the heal, just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Vulcan 900 Classic is my first bike. But I learned to ride on a little Suzuki 250 cruiser/standard at the local bike safety class. I have never gotten used to the heel shifter. The toe shifter is mounted at the factory so that you can still use it like a standard shifter. I have occasionally thought of cutting off the heel part, but haven't because I may want to sell the bike one day. I really like the floor boards. On longer rides they are really nice to give you multiple places to put your feet and legs to try and be comfortable. I know we are all biased here, but the 900 is a great bike. Just read some of the magazine reviews.

·
Registered
397 Posts
The heel shifter was new to me too. For the most part I tend towards the toe shift. But there are also those times when starting out from a dead stop, and when I plant my feet on the 'boards sometimes the heel shift is just easier to step on to get into second right away.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Never use the heel shifter. Don't like having to move my foot back to shift. Have had no problem fitting 11EE under toe shifter even w/ steel toe work boots. Take one for a ride and try it out.
Lightweight. I don't have any problems with my 15 4E's. Don't have to shift my heel back either! Road my buddies Bobbed 800 at Spring Fling this week. It was pretty cool, a little rocket ship BUT had the hardest time getting my toes between the shifter and peg. Finally gave up and just left it in third. That's good to 105 anyways, faster than I was going to ride someone elses bike.

Oh, and Wonderboy (the bikes name) was COOOOOOLLLLL.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I sold my CBR600rr and bought the classic Lt almost two years ago. never had the heel toe shifter thing before. wouldnt take anything for it now. Except for when a bolt fell out of the left side floor board on a trip. Thanks ACE hardware.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts