Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't ever remember hearing my radiator fan kick on, I have put about 2k miles on the bike

I have ridden in 80+ temps, maybe 90 degrees.

Should I be worried about it?
What temps does it take to kick it on?
is there a way to test the fan?

·
Registered
643 Posts
These bikes are air/liquid cooled. They have to get really warm before the fan kicks on. My fan will normally only come on when it is 80+ and I am in stop and go traffic.

·
Premium Member
1,610 Posts
There should be a way to check the fan and the radiator temp sensor. Download a copy of the service manual. The tests and the specs for the sensor should be in there.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
There should be a way to check the fan and the radiator temp sensor. Download a copy of the service manual. The tests and the specs for the sensor should be in there.
Per the OEM service manual, 1) remove the fuel tank, 2) disconnect the 2-pin connector, 3) using to auxiliary wires, supply battery power to the fan motor

This bypasses the fan relay. If the fan powers up then you know it's not the fan but could still be the relay. The manual also has instructions for removing and testing the water temp sensor.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Per the OEM service manual, 1) remove the fuel tank, 2) disconnect the 2-pin connector, 3) using to auxiliary wires, supply battery power to the fan motor

This bypasses the fan relay. If the fan powers up then you know it's not the fan but could still be the relay. The manual also has instructions for removing and testing the water temp sensor.
Thanks for the info,
I hope I am just being paranoid, but may give this a shot!

·
Registered
698 Posts
Even in mild temps it will kick in when idling for a while. Just leave it sitting there for 10 mins or so after a ride. It should kick in reasonably quickly. Well mine did anyway.

·
Registered
412 Posts
This always works for me: find an empty parking lot and practice your friction zone very low speed skills. Should kick on after a few minutes assuming above about 80F or so.

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
Mine has only kicked on once in the last year and that was on a 98 degree day in heavy stop and go traffic. And even then it wasn't on very long. Come to think of it, I can only think of twice my 800's fan ever came on and both of those were on hot days with a lot of mountain riding and 2 up. My buddy was on his GSX-R and his was on consistently and ran for quite a while after we stopped to admire the views.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Just to let you know mine kicks in quite regularly especially in stop start traffic even when the temperature is under 60f. However maybe the UK spec 900 has different thermostat/temp switch to the US bikes?

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Just to let you know mine kicks in quite regularly especially in stop start traffic even when the temperature is under 60f. However maybe the UK spec 900 has different thermostat/temp switch to the US bikes?
Mine also kicks in very frequently in stop/start traffic, so I don't think your experience is limited to a difference between country configurations.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
low/Mid 80's today, took a 20 mile ride, no traffic, then parked it in my drive running for 3 minutes and the fan kicked on.

Guess I was just paranoid :D

·
Registered
729 Posts
Better to ask a Dumb question, than to be proven by not asking.
Not saying it was a dumb question.

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
low/Mid 80's today, took a 20 mile ride, no traffic, then parked it in my drive running for 3 minutes and the fan kicked on.

Guess I was just paranoid :D
All the responses saying theirs kicked on quite a bit vs me not hearing mine kick on had me a bit paranoid as well. It's close to 90 today, so I took her out for a quick jaunt and never heard my fan kick on. When I got home I let her idle (as you did) and after a few minutes I didn't hear it kick on, but I saw it kick on. Am I the lucky or unlucky one that has a really quiet fan, or maybe my bike is just too loud to hear it :D

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I'm curios of this also. I changed my coolant today and per the manual after the coolant change it says to let the the bike idle until the radiator fan kicks on. Then shot off the bike and recheck the coolant level. It was 66 F in my garage. I let the bike idle for 10 minutes. Fan never kicked on. I got tired of waiting and buttoned everything up. Should that have kicked the fan on? I sweR I heard a relay clicking periodically during the 10 minute idle but no fan. Should I check this out or was it just not hot enough?

·
Registered
761 Posts
I'm curios of this also. I changed my coolant today and per the manual after the coolant change it says to let the the bike idle until the radiator fan kicks on. Then shot off the bike and recheck the coolant level. It was 66 F in my garage. I let the bike idle for 10 minutes. Fan never kicked on. I got tired of waiting and buttoned everything up. Should that have kicked the fan on? I sweR I heard a relay clicking periodically during the 10 minute idle but no fan. Should I check this out or was it just not hot enough?
I'm guessing the bike just did not run long enough to kick the fan on.The clicking sound you heard seems to be more prevalent in the Custom than the Classic for some reason.I have noticed it in both of my VN900 Customs but not in my Classic.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I get mine to come on in almost any temp above 32f, buy turning up the idle knob 1# turn for a high idle (about 1800-2000rpm) let her run about 15 min.
Works for me every time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I left my bike running for 35mins this winter (0°C) in a garage... after that time the fan kicked in...

·
BOTY Winner 2015!, BOTM Winner, July 2015
145 Posts
I left my bike running for 35mins this winter (0°C) in a garage... after that time the fan kicked in...
This is about the same for me, fired my bike up in the garage and it takes usually 20-30 minutes to kick on in that temp. zone. During warm summer rides up the canyons the fan will kick on periodically while cruising, but other than that it stays off.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts