Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to find clear or smoke turn signal lens for a OEM driving light bar.
I've been all the way to the end of the internet and back but to no avail.

Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
I just got a full set of smoked turn signal lenses from customdynamics.com. The smoked lenses aren't too dark and look pretty nice with the black/white theme I have going. I also got the Dynamic Ringz (front) and Dynamic Clusters2 (rear). I have the Dynamic Ringz installed and they look freakin' cool. Just waiting for the led flasher relay to arrive so I can get rid of the hyper flash. Then I'll install the Dynamic Clusters2 and the flasher indicator resistor to get the entire system back to a normal flash rate. I will post pics/video when I get that done (hopefully this weekend).

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks.
Yes, I have Dynamic Ringz and Clusters. They are great.
When I got the light bar I discovered that the front turn signals are smaller than the stock fronts. I had to change out the Ringz with a version for Honda (as recommended by Custom Dynamics). They fit well. The lenses on the light bar are amber and the ringz look better with smoke or clear.
I need to find the smaller lens.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
AZgeek
You'll need the diode kit or replacement of the turn indicator bulb to led to prevent cross over flashing.

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
AZgeek
You'll need the diode kit or replacement of the turn indicator bulb to led to prevent cross over flashing.
I think thats what he meant by "indicator resistor". I didn't know replacing the incandescent bulb in the indicator with led would stop the crossover. Where do you get an led bulb to replace the indicator? You can also take the bulb out of the indicator to prevent the cross over from what I've been told.

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
And that eliminates the need for the diode kit?

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
I'm doing LED all around...I have the show chrome amber turn signal led replacements for the front, and am putting in LED run/brake on my fender and LED run/turn on my hard bags. I have the flasher relay to replace the stocker, but if a bulb swap on the signal indicator will save me from having to install the diode kit I got, then that's the way I'm going to go. Less work for me :)

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
yes - much easier.
works for me with the Dynamic Clusters and Dynamic Ringz set-up.
Cool beans, thanks. I may have to give that a try just because it is more plug & play (not that I mind doing the resistor connections). Swapping out a bulb seems like a really easy fix. I did verify the cross-over last night when installing just one of the Dynamic Clusters2 after installing the Dynamic Ringz up front.

I know I will have to open up the instrument cluster anyways to install a GiPro gear indicator just as 2lucky did, but that's a separate project that I will consolidate into one activity.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
One thing to note that may push you back to the diode. The turn indicator light on the dash only flashes for one direction (can't remember now if its left or right); it stays dark for the other.
For me the plug and play had me do this rather than the diode.
I would do the diode if I had clear (simple) directions on exactly how to do this on the 900.

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
I don't really look at the light SO I might go with just taking the bulb out vs replacing the light or doing the diode.

I wonder, if anyone has utilized the crossover glitch into putting a switch in to cut power to the light, and when the switch is on, makes a 4-way flasher. I'm assuming would be close to the same trouble as the diode kit, with the added job of installing the switch. To use, flip on your signal to move off the road, and while signal is on, flip the new switch on to make all signals flash instead of the one side. Might be something to look into and would be cheaper than the Signal Minder (If you arent one to forget to turn off your signals that is)

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
I wonder, if anyone has utilized the crossover glitch into putting a switch in to cut power to the light, and when the switch is on, makes a 4-way flasher. I'm assuming would be close to the same trouble as the diode kit, with the added job of installing the switch. To use, flip on your signal to move off the road, and while signal is on, flip the new switch on to make all signals flash instead of the one side.
That's a pretty cool idea. I think you would have to go with a switch that is hard wired around the diode kit. As soon as the switch is closed then the electrical current would take the path of least resistance and should cause the cross-over effect. Open the switch and current would only flow through the diode kit for normal signal operation. Sounds doable.

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
That's a pretty cool idea. I think you would have to go with a switch that is hard wired around the diode kit. As soon as the switch is closed then the electrical current would take the path of least resistance and should cause the cross-over effect. Open the switch and current would only flow through the diode kit for normal signal operation. Sounds doable.
Taking the bulb out, if I'm not mistaken, stops the crossover effect. So if you put a switch in that interrupts the power to the light, it would be as if the bulb was not in = no crossover. Flip the switch to close the circuit, power continues to the light causing the crossover effect = 4 way flashers. At least I THINK that's how it would work.
When I start the wiring on the bagger I might try it and see if it works. If so I'll post details.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts