Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those that may have missed before, i tried to go Darkside (car tire on motorcycle) before but could not get the bead to set. For some reason no amount of sun or air pressure could get the bead set on my spoke rim using a tube. After some searching and waiting on ebay i was able to come across a rear rim from a Custom for only $160. Had to get it!!! I was able to mount the tire with 100 lbs of air and letting it sit in the warm CO sun. Now for the info.

General Altimax 195/60-15. Directional tread tire for better wet handling. Took it on a test ride of about 100 miles and LOVE IT!!! I actually enjoy the handling, takes a little more push into the corners like a bike with a big rear tire (215+) but it feels like I have more control. The traction is amazing, and after dragging the floorboards I noticed I am nowhere near the sidewall of the tire, still plenty of tread, almost an inch before the side. Braking is more stable and it handles bumps way better (probably do to the softer car tire rubber).

I will not kid there is a downside I noticed already. One of the freeways I tested it on is grooved and it really wanted to wobble, but since I hardly ever ride that road and most of my riding is on the way to work or back highways through the US I don't see this being a problem. I was also doing 90 which could have been slowed down to alleviate this tendency.

I will post some pics in a day or two when I get around to it (kinda lazy, ask the parents about posting recent pics of their grandkid) but will get it up with a comparison of the two tires as well. If anyone has questions feel free to ask and I will post updates as I ride in different weather but so far so good!!!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Congrads.

Well Done................

I like your "stick to it" attitude. I remember your prior efforts and was wondering if it was just a lack of pressure, remembering I once need over 80 PSI to seat a tire. The p[erson that told you that the pressure was more sideways and not on the tread as much doesn't/didn't understand pressure in the least amount. It's always equal, it's the resistance to the pressure that varies.

Again, well done.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I bought the same tire for mine (195/65R15), but on the day it was delivered the local shop that was going to mount it for me closed for the winter.
Did you mount it yourself or take it to a shop? How did you go about balancing it? I'm giving serious thought to throwing in a bag of beads as opposed to weights.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I mounted it myself, it wasn't that hard. For a bead breaker there is a guy on youtube that shows how to do make one with a spare piece of wood and a 2X4 and the undercarriage of a truck. I then just used one of those door rivet fork things to work the bead on and for lube I used PAM (way better than soapy water). Once on I used dyna beads for balance which I have been using in my motorcycle tire and they are amazing. Any other questions just let me know but so far it is amazing.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I most certainly want to see some pics...soon please!!!

·
Registered
1,554 Posts

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I most certainly want to see some pics...soon please!!!
I won't be mounting mine for a while. I'm going to get pulleys this winter and do the pulleys and tire at the same time... maybe not installed until spring.
The pictures will have to be up to you, vulcan08.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pics

Attaches are some pics of them side-by-side and of it mounted on the bike. There will be a couple since I can only do 5 at a time. Enjoy :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Lookin' good, Vulcan. Thanks for showing the tire on the kickstand, it really demonstrates that the bike can be in a turn without running on the sidewall.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Nice!

Vulcan08, are you still running the original spoked wheel on the front? Could you by chance take a picture of the side of the bike? I would just like to see how the two wheels match up.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
To answer the first question, it didn't take very long to get used to at all. Right after I put it on went on a 100 mile ride and it felt great. I would compare it to riding a bike with a fat rear tire and think that people who hate the car tire typically go over a 205 to get the REALLY wide look and it will naturally ride horrible. Being a 195 it is still fairly narrow and easy to toss around. I have actually been dragging my floorboards more often then I used to.

Second, I will try and get a side view but you can hardly tell what with the pipes, bags, and pully you don't even see the rear wheel so it looks fine in my opinion. Everyone I have shown it to I have had to point out that the rim is different because since it is so tucked under everything you don't even notice it, first you look at the rear tire, then the rest of the bike and the front standing out all by itself. I am extremely happy with my decision and look forward to 20,000+ miles before needing to think about another tire. Bonus, this tire including shipping was only $70 to my door from tirerack.com. $50 less then a comparable motorcycle tire and will last 2-3x as long. Nothing to say about that except, AWESOME!!!

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
"I will try and get a side view but you can hardly tell what with the pipes, bags, and pully you don't even see the rear wheel so it looks fine in my opinion."
I'm gonna agree with vulcan on this too. From a side vantage point, you can't even tell it's a car tire with the casual glance... only from the rear.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I was more interested in the look of the wheel than the the tire. Black rubber is black rubber. I agree that the rear wheel is mostly covered up, but I just was curious in how it looked.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts