Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI folks,

I am convinced that I need lowers on my 2007 Vulcan 900 LT. The Kawy set is pretty pricey. I keep running into the name Edmunds but I can't figure out a way to contact him. I have seen a couple of good plans for home built. The price of aluminum is up so that isn't cheap either.

Any other manufactures out there?

·
Registered
95 Posts
I got you covered

HI folks,

I am convinced that I need lowers on my 2007 Vulcan 900 LT. The Kawy set is pretty pricey. I keep running into the name Edmunds but I can't figure out a way to contact him. I have seen a couple of good plans for home built. The price of aluminum is up so that isn't cheap either.

Any other manufactures out there?
I bought the Kaw OEM lowers at www.shopxps.com They are a Kawasaki/Yamaha dealer in NJ and they are by far the cheapest place online to buy OEM parts and acc. The lowers with them are $131 Check them out and let me know if I can help any further :)

·
Registered
397 Posts
I'm convinced I need lowers too. Thanks for that link pasnbyu, but I'm trying to find them listed on this site. Am I missing something? I followed the links, brought up the parts list for 2009 Vulcan 900LT but I don't see Lowers (or Windshields either for that matter) listed anywhere. I must be dense or it's just too early in the morning.:confused:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Vulcan 900 Lowers

I'm convinced I need lowers too. Thanks for that link pasnbyu, but I'm trying to find them listed on this site. Am I missing something? I followed the links, brought up the parts list for 2009 Vulcan 900LT but I don't see Lowers (or Windshields either for that matter) listed anywhere. I must be dense or it's just too early in the morning.:confused:
You might take a look at mine, have had lots of good feedback, big enough to do the job, chrome plates match windshield plates, very solid with good chrome and really reduces the "buffeting" to nil, especially for the passenger, wife loves them.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I picked up my Kaw lowers from eBay, at better than list. Yes, they are the most expensive, but imho, the best looking.

·
Registered
397 Posts
You might take a look at mine, have had lots of good feedback, big enough to do the job, chrome plates match windshield plates, very solid with good chrome and really reduces the "buffeting" to nil, especially for the passenger, wife loves them.
Say, those are nice looking! I especially like how they snug up to the windshield making a more complete barrier to wind. They look like they belong on the bike and now are definitely on my "short list" of things to get in the very near future! Thanks for the tip, Waterboy. You'll probably be hearing from me soon.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Vulcan 900 Lowers

You are welcome! Making the shield snug up against the windshield behind the turn signal certainly eliminates the wind through that gap that comes up around the tank, quite strange aerodynamics of the wind around and up from the tank on the 900, you honestly won't believe the difference, it was my first "creation" for my bike. You can hang your hand/arm down by your side and out and the wind doesn't blow it away! I've had a South Dakota "ringneck" pheasant bounce off mine at 45mph, saving my leg and did no damage to the lower or bike, they have caught many a bug and road debris from passing motorists. The adjustable feature will let you raise them as you raise the windshield if that is an issue. Coming soon is a "Windshield Tilt Mod Kit" with both vertical and rearward tilt option replacing the factory brackets on the windshield which should help with buffeting even more and make the windshield more pleasing to the eye by being in alignment with the forks. I will never have a bike without the lowers again. Thanks again, would love to be able to help (a displaced Minnesotan from Spicer!). Click on site photos to open more.
http://ironsinthefire.webs.com/apps/photos/

·
Registered
487 Posts
Are lowers really the answer? Depending on wind direction I get buffeting as low as 50mph. Over 60mph sometimes it gets unbearable. The problem I have is that I wear glasses with my full face helmet and when the helmet starts vibrating my glasses vibrate along with it. Makes me want to hurl.:p I'm 5'6" and have the wind shield as low as it will go. Still cannot see over the top of the wind shield. I was wondering if that was the problem. If lowers are the answer that would be great!

·
Registered
84 Posts
You are welcome! Making the shield snug up against the windshield behind the turn signal certainly eliminates the wind through that gap that comes up around the tank, quite strange aerodynamics of the wind around and up from the tank on the 900, you honestly won't believe the difference, it was my first "creation" for my bike. You can hang your hand/arm down by your side and out and the wind doesn't blow it away! I've had a South Dakota "ringneck" pheasant bounce off mine at 45mph, saving my leg and did no damage to the lower or bike, they have caught many a bug and road debris from passing motorists. The adjustable feature will let you raise them as you raise the windshield if that is an issue. Coming soon is a "Windshield Tilt Mod Kit" with both vertical and rearward tilt option replacing the factory brackets on the windshield which should help with buffeting even more and make the windshield more pleasing to the eye by being in alignment with the forks. I will never have a bike without the lowers again. Thanks again, would love to be able to help (a displaced Minnesotan from Spicer!). Click on site photos to open more.
http://ironsinthefire.webs.com/apps/photos/
Will these lowers work with an OEM lightbar? It looks like they would mount behind one if it were there

·
Registered
117 Posts
Vulcan 900 Lowers

Will these lowers work with an OEM lightbar? It looks like they would mount behind one if it were there
To answer "jfarley"'s and "emt 271"'s questions in one post: First, I can't speak for others riding styles, but as for myself, the only time I attempt to look over the top of my windshield is in heavy rain when the windshield is covered with running rain droplets. Otherwise I am looking through the top 1-2". I am 5'7" (my wife says I lie!) and have to sit tall and straight to look over it. I rarely wear a helmet (shame on me) but when I do I experience some of the "helmet buffeting", I think a common experience when the windshield isn't high enough. This helmet buffeting is most likely a result of your height, the windshield height, and the angle of the windshield, a common complaint with 900 riders. Lowers have a positive effect in blocking (redirecting) the wind that comes up from legs around the tank and into your face. My wife says that the felt wind around her is noticeably decreased. I think that if the windshield were adjusted to where you were looking through the top 1-2" you would experience considerably less helmet vibration. Afterall, it is a "windshield" and getting used to looking through it is a small adjustment in riding style. You'll take a lot less debris and bugs to the faceshield and helmet also, give it a try. There is a large degree of safety to credit the lowers with in addition to comfort and appearance. As for fit, I know that my lowers will NOT work with Cobra light bar as the rearward side of the repositioned turn signals are past the "plane" of the windshield. If one looks down the edge of the windshield and the turn signals are not past this "plane" to the rear, the lowers should work fine. There is little if any room between stock turn signals and these lowers, perhaps this is why I didn't lose my turn signal when hit by a pheasant as the lower absorbed some of the shock, both were fine (no not the pheasant!). Hope this helps some, Waterboy

·
Registered
487 Posts
Thanks for the reply "Waterboy13". Actually I am looking through about the top 2 inches now. Maybe I will raise it an inch and see if that helps. I really like your products. Things are a bit tight right now, but like "Forestlake_900LT" said, I hope to get back to you soon on your Lowers!

·
Premium Member
42 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Are lowers really the answer? Depending on wind direction I get buffeting as low as 50mph. Over 60mph sometimes it gets unbearable. The problem I have is that I wear glasses with my full face helmet and when the helmet starts vibrating my glasses vibrate along with it. Makes me want to hurl.:p I'm 5'6" and have the wind shield as low as it will go. Still cannot see over the top of the wind shield. I was wondering if that was the problem. If lowers are the answer that would be great!
I really think the Kawi OEM lowers have made a big difference for me. I couldn't believe how much difference those two little pieces of plastic could make. Before I got them, I thought I was going to have my helmet torn off my head while riding. I did raise my windshield when I put them on though so I would be looking through it and not over the top. I really like the mounting brackets as they don't have the clamps that go around the forks but they attach up where the windshield attaches. Makes a nice clean look. Just my 2 cents worth. :p

·
Registered
83 Posts
Based on this thread, I placed an order online with the site below. I got an email confirming my order. Now 10 days later I'm trying to get a status. I have called over the past few days and only get a voice message saying that the person with this number is not available. I've left messages and no one responds to my email either. Is this place ligit?

I bought the Kaw OEM lowers at www.shopxps.com They are a Kawasaki/Yamaha dealer in NJ and they are by far the cheapest place online to buy OEM parts and acc. The lowers with them are $131 Check them out and let me know if I can help any further :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Based on this thread, I placed an order online with the site below. I got an email confirming my order. Now 10 days later I'm trying to get a status. I have called over the past few days and only get a voice message saying that the person with this number is not available. I've left messages and no one responds to my email either. Is this place ligit?
I sorry about your troubles with them, but I ordered about $500 worth of OEM stuff back in the spring and had no problem. Try looking for anouther phone # to call from the yellow pages in NJ. They are a HUGE dealer, so try that. I did have a wait also due to them not having everything in stock that I ordered.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Memphis Shield Lowers on 900 Custom

Hi guys. I just purchased a set of lowers for my 07 V900c. I use a Big Shot windscreen from Memphis and ordered their lowers to help stop the buffeting. Like a lot of others, I wear bifocals and the wind was ratteling them inside my full face shield. The lowers are made to fit on the outside tube of the shocks which on the Custom are inverted. That means the higest I can mount the clamps puts the shields about four inches or more below the turn signals. It's another 2-4 inches to the windshield, depending on where you mount those clamps. The wind flows in, around the tank and right up under your chin. Now, I have to admit it's better with the installation but at about the speedlimit the bouncing starts again. I talked to Memphis Customer Service and they confirmed my install was correct but offered no suggestions to fix the problem. The clamps are great but the blade is just too short. I'm looking to do something to close the gap. Had a suggestion to put a tool bag under the standard light bar and I might try that or cut a longer blade and attach it to the clamp. Any knowledge out there?
Thanks.
sdc

·
Registered
76 Posts
Another source for OEM lowers:
http://www.accessories4bikes.com/product_info.php?cPath=38_61_389&products_id=7236

I think they direct ship from Kawasaki so shipping takes a little longer but prices are good.

I bought the ones for a lightbar and later decided not to get the Kawa light bar so they were shorter than I would like. Just got some 3/16" lexan from a local vendor for an extra $20 and made some a little taller to use with OEM mounts. Really pretty easy. Now I have both sets.

·
Registered
32 Posts
i am 5'6" i ride faster than i should but i have memphis shades lowers and windshield. windshield is 13.75" inches high (custom cut) and lowers are snug to the turn signals and angled back slightly. the windshield angle is parallel with the forks @ 80 mph no buffeting. none at legal speeds either!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Which Version?

I am looking at a Cobra light bar. I will probably be using Kawasaki OEM lowers. I have noticed they come as a "with light bar or without light bar versions.

The with light bar version seems to be for an OEM with the directional signals under the bar; the Cobra version the directionals ar level with the bar.

My question, does anyone know if the Kawasaki OEM lower "without light bar would fit? I was just thinking that it would be a bit tighter to the windshield of the bike.

I have plenty of parts to install when the garage gets warm enough to work in. A Linby multi bar - crash bar, and a set of phat II risers. I figured I may as well go ahead with the lights and lowers. I like the extra lights so I can shine one right..I have an adversity to hitting deer at night and we have plenty of them around.

I also need to say that the Ironsinthefire lowers version looks sharp, but won't work as mentioned. I have a luggage rack from there and it is great, not to mention it has style and blends in with the bike...solid and strong!

Getting back to the subject, does anyone know which lower is appropriate for what I have in mind.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts