Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I am new to this forum. I just bought an 09 900LT this past summer and I am in the process of accessorizing and customizing for this years riding.
One question I have not seen address in forums so far is the angle of the handle grips. I am a 6' 4" medium build individual and when I sit reasonably comfortably I find that my wrists are really bent out in order to grip the bars. I did some measuring and found the stock bars (09 900LT) come back @ 75deg. When I checked my wrist comfort angle using a couple of broom handles I found that my comfort zone was around 135deg. Has anyone else noticed this issue?

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
I have noticed, but it isn't really an issue. There are always after market bars, to solve your problem.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have researched a number of aftermarket bars and the standard measurements don't really cover this angle. I am primarily curious as to how many others have found this issue a problem, and if anyone has found bars that solve it.

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
Got it, I'm still using the stock bars, but have thought about drag bars or something similar...

·
Registered
451 Posts
If my stock handle bars are set too high, the grip angle is wrong. I rotated the handle bars to find the most comfortable wrist position, and then mounted pull-back risers to position them where my arms naturally put my hands. Did that make sense?

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I rolled mine back, so the grips are about 2" or so lower than they used to be. I find it much more comfortable.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I appreciate the feedback. I have though of rolling the bars as well and using risers but, while that will alter the horizontal angle, I really don't want to fight gravity too much on top of the wind resistance (the grip will end up a little more vertical). I also thought of just having the stock bars (bent) out to a more comfortable angle and then re-chromed, but if I am going to have a shop involved, I would rather just have new, custom fit, bars created. This is my current direction, modeling custom handle bars.

·
Registered
782 Posts
As said above, I had to roll the bars up or down to find my comfort spot. When I first got the bike, the dealership had set them as low as possible without hitting the tank at full lock. This had me hunched and killed my back. But if you go to high, then your hands fall asleep.

I doubt this tells you any more about your situation, but I think the Kawi engineers used a dummy that was somewhere between 5ft 9in to 6ft 1in tall. This is a very average size for most guys. Being 6ft 4in tall, I can imagine that you may have trouble with the bars and also the foot positions. Your best bet may be to get a custom shop to make or order you some bars. It may be possible to bend the stock bars, but that may damage the chrome at the bend point so keep that in mind. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
but I think the Kawi engineers used a dummy that was somewhere between 5ft 9in to 6ft 1in tall.
That must be me .... 5 10 1/2", and i havent had an issue with the bars after 10 to 12 hrs in the saddle. I would also say a lot of the wrist issues could have something to do posture and riding position as well as handle bar positioning..

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I would suggest just to try rolling them back. It didn't make mine feel "vertical" as you described. It actually made them feel "flat", like maybe they were a little upright before.

Anyway, it only takes about three minutes to do (it actually took me longer to find my allen wrenches!), it's easily reversible, and if you don't like it you can still go the rebend/replace route you spoke of.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Actually, I do plan on playing with it a bit tonight. I will review the rolling issue. I am also realizing that I may just have to go the home made custom route. I was noticing that there is a company called Motion Pro that sells extended cables for clutch and throttle. Has anyone bought from this company?
I am not interested in doing any more than I need to, but I also know that I want to be comfortable and if that means extended cables, so be it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The bars seem very pulled back and I have the stock risers. Someone on one of the forums suggested using bars from the 900 Custom.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Last year I simply tried just closing my eyes and putting my hands where I would like the bars. Solving the problem was not that tough. The basic hand grip angle was okay but by wrist/throttle grip and upper back needed some relief on long rides.

A Phat Riser-3 up and 2 back along with sweeping the bars down a bit solved everything. I set my handle bars down so that the just clear the gas tank by a few inches....works for me. Or you could get new bars, cost is a wash between the two. I did not need to replace any cables, just a minor re-route.

This is a much better cruising position, I am straighter as the bars are back further. I also use a Mustang seat which does pitch me a tad forward from that sorry excuse for a seat that it came with. By pitching the bars down my shoulder drpos a bit and the elbows come in a little closer. that took care of the occaisional sore upper back....The Mustang took care of the other sore parts.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It appears that a lot of people are getting relief from risers. That is really great. I have reviewed this option but it still doesn't solve the hand angle. I rotated the bars and found some positions more tolerable than others, but I am currently looking at custom bars.
Actually, I just created a model with some pvc piping. I bent it until it was comfortable (hand angle, width, etc) and compared it to the stock bars. Significant difference. I am now looking for a fab shop that can bend 1" steel tubing to match the pvc model.
It will look quite different.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts