Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So on a charity ride this weekend I heard a Harley that had a jake brake kit installed on it. I never got a chance to ask how he did it. I do know that it was a newer fuel injected Harley. Does anyone know if it can be done or how to put a jake brake on a 900 vulcan. I have a powerpro auto tuner. Anyway I could put a switch to the ground to shut off the injectors or would this harm the tuner?

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Seems to me (if there is such a thing, never seen one) that it is just a do-dad that will mess up on your and cause more headache than what it is worth. Motorcycles hold back so well anyway why add something to it.

IMHO it sounds pointless to me.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Seems all it would take is a relay wired into the fuel pump circuit to cut power by a switch on the handle bars. Perhaps one that is spring loaded that you have to hold in to cut power. Should work on any FI vehicle. Would need a normally closed relay that opens when power is applied by the switch.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Why not just hit the kill switch?

I'm not sure why you'd want to though. A jake brake OR use the kill switch. There's PLENTY of decelerating power on these 900's, you could probably lock the rear up just by downshifting and dropping the clutch! The REASON for a jake brake is that 18-wheelers are heavy and their diesel engines don't provide much engine braking. (And riding the brakes can cause the brakes to overheat or catch fire!) We have neither of those problems, our bikes are light, and the engines brake excellently.

So; guess I'm confused but, why?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses. I'm not looking at doing it for more braking power, I agree the 9s have plenty of engine brake. It turned a lot of heads and I was more interested in it for the uniqueness not as a daily use. I think a to shut down the injectors is the way to go, does anyone know where I could source a wiring diagram?

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
My Clymer manual for my 800 has the wiring diagrams in the very back. If you plan to do any of your own maitenance, highly suggest you get a manual. Am sure they all have wiring diagrams.

·
Registered
432 Posts
A truckers opinion, I think someone is pulling your leg. No company is going to go through the trouble of creating an engine brake for a bike.

Jake brake is a name brand but the general term is engine brake. It works by closing off the valves during deceleration to provide more back pressure. So we're talking about extra springs and mechanical connections and relays to turn them on an off, and connections to the throttle, clutch and brake to ensure it only comes on when desired. They are useless at low rpms and only become really effective at 1700 rpm and up on a 6 cylinder diesel engine. Oh and they usually have multiple position selectors so you can choose to operate only 2,4 or all 6 cylinders or sometimes just 3 or 6.

I'm guessing what you heard on the HD was some kind of exhaust sound that isn't normal and the guy had some fun with you saying he had a jake brake. Ask him to pop the valve covers off so you can take pictures and compare them to factory valves, it should look very different from factory with the extra stuff on them.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Vrooooom-brr, vrooooooom-brr, vrooooooooom-brr, vroooooooooooom-brr, vroooooooooooooooooom-brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, vro-brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

·
Registered
546 Posts
my vn 2000 has as oem

back in the 60's I had a two sroke off road bike with a compression realese that scew into one of the spark plug holes, cable/ hand lever operated next to the front brake lever

my vn 2000 came fom factory with decompression system as original equipment not sure about other vulcans, the 2000 has all the components needed as eom I guess the guy had alot of free time on his hands

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
back in the 60's I had a two sroke off road bike with a compression realese that scew into one of the spark plug holes, cable/ hand lever operated next to the front brake lever

my vn 2000 came fom factory with decompression system as original equipment not sure about other vulcans, I guess the guy had alot of free time on his hands
Yeah, that way that starter can turn that monster of an engine over. I believe all it does is keeps an exhaust valve open and it operates with the starter button. I am not 100% on it but I think that is how it works.

I have had ATV's that has compression release valves on them so you can pull/kick them over easier.

·
Registered
24 Posts
A truckers opinion, I think someone is pulling your leg. No company is going to go through the trouble of creating an engine brake for a bike.

Jake brake is a name brand but the general term is engine brake. It works by closing off the valves during deceleration to provide more back pressure. So we're talking about extra springs and mechanical connections and relays to turn them on an off, and connections to the throttle, clutch and brake to ensure it only comes on when desired. They are useless at low rpms and only become really effective at 1700 rpm and up on a 6 cylinder diesel engine. Oh and they usually have multiple position selectors so you can choose to operate only 2,4 or all 6 cylinders or sometimes just 3 or 6.

I'm guessing what you heard on the HD was some kind of exhaust sound that isn't normal and the guy had some fun with you saying he had a jake brake. Ask him to pop the valve covers off so you can take pictures and compare them to factory valves, it should look very different from factory with the extra stuff on them.
A friendly correction from a diesel mechanic. An engine brake (Jake Brake) opens the exhaust valves with an hydraulic slave energized by engine oil pressure just prior to the injector spraying thus unloading all compression (and heat to ignite the fuel). This turns the engine into a huge air compressor using the compression for slowing the vehicle until it is no longer viable to hold the compression in the cylinder and with gear reduction through the transmission can provide very good braking effect depending on the engine/engine brake set up. I know of no company that has ever applied this concept to ANY gasoline engine. My Victory Cross Country "sounds" like a Jake brake when you gear down and decel and I'm guessing this HD guy was just trying to show that he was "cool" by doing the same thing but that is merely having the right bike and exhaust set-up to make that sound and has nothing to do with actual braking other than the braking effect you get from engine vacuum when the throttle plate closes.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks bamadrive and 40xc. I am good with any gas engine (i worked maintenance a rental equipment company) but diesels are not my strong point and i assumed that they just killed the fuel injectors to engine brake.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I imagine a 'real' jake brake wouldn't sound cool for very long because it'd get you stopped in a hurry!

I accidentally hit my kill switch one time, began to go uphill and add throttle and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't 'go'. After a second I hit full throttle which, will kill switch engaged (thus engine 'off' but still rolling due to doing 40 or 50 and being in gear) it definitely had a throaty jake-brake sound when the throttle was WIDE OPEN, but I wouldn't recommend doing it. But, having done it on accident; I know how a person could make that sound! Luckily I noticed the kill switch was off and after a quick backfire she was up and running!

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Jake Brake (as mentioned, a brand name)/engine brake would be a fairly big endeavour to develop or try to refit using existing parts. However, an exhaust brake probably wouldn't be terribly hard to implement, but then you don't get the "Jake Brake" sound either.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts