Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To those that don't know, Darkside is the practice of running a car tire on the rear of a motorcycle. After reading up on everything I have decided to go this route. I will have it mounted tonight and let everyone know how it feels and how it is going, mainly tomorrow after my first ride to work and back as well as trying to comment every week or so. I'm expecting it to handle like a bike running a big rear tire (240+) and since I hardly ever hit twisties should work just fine for me. For balancing I am going to run dynabeads. Should be fun!!!

·
Registered
782 Posts
Out of curiosty, what tire are you actually putting on? I looked at this, but all the tires I found were really squarish. Maybe you could take some pictures too. I am all for saving money, but not at the cost of a bike that freaks out in a corner. Here's hoping you keep the shiny side up.

·
Registered
167 Posts
im going to run this as well...195's or maybe 205..what do u think..how wide is the stock rim?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am going to run a 195/65-15 General Altimax HP. I went with that because of the directional tread pattern (read it handles rain better being a single tire). It cooled off fast after work last night so no go on the bead, currently baking in the sun so hopefully when i get home 60 lbs and the bead will set. It looks awesome sitting on the rim and next to the Dunlop looks like it will handle the job quite nicely. When it gets mounted I will follow with some pics of it on the bike as well as offf next to the Dunlop. Hopefully today ends with more success and less dissapointment then last night.

For future darksiders, don't plan on setting a bead when your tire sat in an air conditioned shop all day, lol.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I can't wait on your opinions about cornering........ride careful!
Hopefully your experiment works!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Noob question..........

what is/are dynabeads? Bead setting?

thx

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok, so some bad news. no matter what trick i tried i couldn't get the other side to bead. the tire guy said it looked like the tube was trying to inflate to much vertically instead of laterally. so this leaves me searching for a vulcan 900 custom rear rim in order to go tubeless without spending a fortune. doing research i saw bikes with tubes running a car tire so i am at a loss. the half of it beaded and under the fender looked awesome so i am quite dissapointed because it would have been sweet. if someone else attempts this and is able to succeed by all means let me know what you did to make it work. i have not given up completely yet, just hoping i can find a good deal on a 900 custom rim before my rear tire is due for a change. sorry i couldn't experiment with this and hopefully spread the good word of the darkside, but i am out of trying for right now. good luck to whoever the next person is to try this.

·
Registered
84 Posts
another guy on here got his installed by leaving the tube inflated to 40-50 psi overnight and used a 50/50 mix of dish soap and water as lube. He also said that after letting it sit for awile with pressure in it, he would inflate the deflate over and over again until it seated. I have also hear of it taking 80+ psi to seat a bead.

·
Registered
139 Posts
ok, so some bad news. no matter what trick i tried i couldn't get the other side to bead. the tire guy said it looked like the tube was trying to inflate to much vertically instead of laterally. so this leaves me searching for a vulcan 900 custom rear rim in order to go tubeless without spending a fortune. doing research i saw bikes with tubes running a car tire so i am at a loss. the half of it beaded and under the fender looked awesome so i am quite dissapointed because it would have been sweet. if someone else attempts this and is able to succeed by all means let me know what you did to make it work. i have not given up completely yet, just hoping i can find a good deal on a 900 custom rim before my rear tire is due for a change. sorry i couldn't experiment with this and hopefully spread the good word of the darkside, but i am out of trying for right now. good luck to whoever the next person is to try this.
Hey vulcan08, I know this sounds shadetree but it used to work with our lawnmower tire ;) We'd tie a real stout rope around the tire following the middle of the tread to get the tire to seat. Seems like it would work in this instance. If the tube can't inflate UP then it should inflate OUT.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
tried each of those tricks. also, when i did the rope trick (with a really strong ratchet strap) at about 40 psi the strap snapped. did the sun soak and dish soap. however, when i need to replace the rear tire i will try again since it will be off and putting my motorcycle tire back on i think i may have stumbled across the answer on another forum, PAM cooking spray. the motorcycle tire got put back on and beaded at 20 psi. i will try again, but for the time being i just wanted my bike back together because even though i was able to ride my wifes gladius i missed my bike too much and it hurts seeing it up on a jack with no rear wheel. thanks for the ideas and if someone tries this before i give it another go, USE PAM!!! it may be the secret, but i won't know for awhile.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i would if i was you because you have the cast wheel and therefore have no tube, which was my major problem. if you take yours off, clean the rim with some steel wool, pam it up it will probably go on no prob. if i get my hands on a customs rim this is definitely the route i will be going. no rear tire change for 20-30000 miles, sign me up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts