Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
1. After emptying the tank, remove the little bolt holding on the speedo & it's cover.
2. Remove the speedo cover by lifting the rear & moving it forward. A little side to side wiggling may help here.
3. Remove the speedo the same way.
4. Remove the seat and then the bolt that holds on the tank.
5. The tank comes off like the speedo, but after you lift the rear you'll have to take off the fuel line before completely removing the tank.

What's the paint job? Flames & naked chicks?

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
1. After emptying the tank, remove the little bolt holding on the speedo & it's cover.
2. Remove the speedo cover by lifting the rear & moving it forward. A little side to side wiggling may help here.
3. Remove the speedo the same way.
4. Remove the seat and then the bolt that holds on the tank.
5. The tank comes off like the speedo, but after you lift the rear you'll have to take off the fuel line before completely removing the tank.

What's the paint job? Flames & naked chicks?
The fuel line has a quick disconnect that blocks the fuel from siphoning out of the tank. Take a small screw driver and back the holding clip away from the connector then separate the two halves. There are two other hoses to slip off as well. Then you have the fuel pump connector to unplug as well as the fuel gauge sensor to unplug. It sounds complicated but it's quite easy.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Clutch switch wire came apart

Where is the fuel guage sensor located? I think I know what all is involved in removing fuel tank. It appears that everything that needs to be unattached from the tank is on the left side of tank but I did notice a couple little wires attached to a square thing-a-ma-jig on the right side, is that the fuel guage sensor? Also, I'm thinking the red clip on the fuel line is what slides to disengage the fuel line?

All this just to re-attach a little plug on my clutch switch wire. Any other tips with tank removal will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Where is the fuel guage sensor located? I think I know what all is involved in removing fuel tank. It appears that everything that needs to be unattached from the tank is on the left side of tank but I did notice a couple little wires attached to a square thing-a-ma-jig on the right side, is that the fuel guage sensor? Also, I'm thinking the red clip on the fuel line is what slides to disengage the fuel line?

All this just to re-attach a little plug on my clutch switch wire. Any other tips with tank removal will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Remove the instrument cover and cluster on the top of the tank.
Remove the bolt holding the rear of the tank, raise it and place a 2X4 under the tank to hold it up. There are three hoses to disconnect. The fuel line that you previously mentioned then there's the fuel return line which goes to the top right side of the tank and the third line is the breather which is mid way back on the right side. You will need to remove the coil cover on the left side in order to disconnect the fuel pump. Then the fuel level gauge sensor which is next to the return fuel line on the tank.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
...and set a couple of short 2x4s where you plan on setting it down. You don't want the fuel line tube taking the weight of the tank. Also keep in mind that there's no good way to drain the tank in advance. You have to burn in dry or pump fuel out thru the filler tube. That was the part that surprised me.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
...and set a couple of short 2x4s where you plan on setting it down. You don't want the fuel line tube taking the weight of the tank. Also keep in mind that there's no good way to drain the tank in advance. You have to burn in dry or pump fuel out thru the filler tube. That was the part that surprised me.
No need to drain the tank for what the OP needs to do but a less than full tank is easier to handle.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Mission accomplished!

Hey thanks for the input guys. I managed to get it done by only disconnecting speedo cable, overflow and guage plug. Didn't have get to the lower left hoses, had wife reconnect plug while son held light and I pulled out tank and tilted it to the left. Voila! Everything works...now I have to buy them all Dairy Queen for lunch. :cool:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts