Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok... it's time I bit the bullet and started looking for a shield for my custom. I'm a free spirit who just doesn't want to ride around with a full face helemt on all the time, but I struggle with bugs in the face in the mornings and at dusk! :eek: I'm sure it will help a bit with these chillier mornings as well

Trouble is, I love the lines of my Custom, so I was wondering if any of you taller riders (I'm 6'3") with shields on your custom would discuss what you use and how it performs in keeping wind flow OVER your head. Pics are appreciated, as well as discussions on quick disconnects.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
The Customs look bitchin' with those little cafe shield/fairing thingies. Unfortunately, you said you want the air directed over your head. You'll need a bigger shield for that. I'd look at Memphis Shades (or similar) for a detachable shield. You can get a fairly tall one to keep the bugs off ya and still be able to get rid of it when you want to look good.

I've got a detachable batwing fairing and I can tell you that their attachment system is great. Easy on/off, but when it's on there is no movement or vibration.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'm 6"-1" and have the Kawasaki OEM Touring Windshield which sticks up about 17" above the headlight. With the Mustang seat, I can just barely feel the wind buffeting the top of my helmet. But on the OEM seat I don't notice the wind at all. I took the shield off one weekend and couldn't stand the wind in my chest and face much over 45mph, too old I guess. I've seen a few bikes with aftermarket detachable windshields and I wasn't all too enamored with how they latched. A buddy has an HD Sportster 1200 with the HD detachable unit and it isn't that much better. Call me silly, but I want my windshhield secure because if it comes off at 60 or so, that's a disaster I'd rather avoid. I don't have a real good front/side shot that would show a decent 1/4 profile, but these two should give you an idea. FWIW, Kawasaki doesn't recommend using a windshiekld any bigger than the OEM one I have, probably lawyering up. And I can say that in 30mph crosswinds; I can really feel the wind affect against this one. But trucks passing by from the other direction while I'm doing 60 or 70 don't seem to affect it much, go figure. And it's nowhere near as bad as on my brother-in-law's GoldWing with a full fairing.

Attachments

·
Registered
711 Posts
Howdy,
Am shorter than you at 5.8" the cafe looked best but sucked on what is designed to do. Then I upgraded to the OEM Short with way better results but then again at high speeds or long touring days it didn't offer full protection. The cafe will take the wind of your chest but will put it right on your face. The short will put the air on your uper face but again at high speeds unless you are wearing a shield helmet then this will bother you. I have sold both and just rec'd my new 21" windshield today. Just putting it over the head light looks like a perfect fit to me but we'll find out tomorrow. My best advise is go to your local dealer and ask them to be fitted for a windshield and they will advise you on what will offer much protection for your size. Don't make the mistake or ordering the same size as others of your size. Am 5.8" but short on my legs and taller on my upper body so what fits me did not fit my 5.9" friend. Good luck.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have the Cafe racer style shield and it does not stop the bugs. It does take wind off your chest but the bug go right to the face lol....

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have the Cafe racer style shield and it does not stop the bugs. It does take wind off your chest but the bug go right to the face lol....
I heard that!! Wanted a little more wind protection. I guess I'm a little too tall.
I was wondering if I heated the shield if I could bend a little more of a lip at the top try and direct more air upward and over my head. I'm worried the heat will cloud the lexan. Anybody got any thoughts on this.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I heard that!! Wanted a little more wind protection. I guess I'm a little too tall.
I was wondering if I heated the shield if I could bend a little more of a lip at the top try and direct more air upward and over my head. I'm worried the heat will cloud the lexan. Anybody got any thoughts on this.
I've seen people heat it up to where it was like liquid almost and bend it to shape their needs I didn't see it get cloudy but I don't know if that's indicative to all Lexan. I would be a little scared to do that.

How about this?
http://a2-engineering.com/category/shields/

·
Registered
48 Posts
I went with the Memphis Shades Demon. Works very well.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I went with the Memphis Shades Big Shot. Unlike the Demon, the Big Shot uses fork mounted brackets and seems to me a bit more stable than the handlebar mounted models I've used in the past. Even without the quick release, you loosen 4 screws with the supplied allen wrench and the shield is off in about 45 seconds.

My only complaint is that I can't find lowers that look right with that shield and above 50mph the wind hits my shins and blows up into my face. It's only a problem at temps below 50 though. When the air's warm I don't notice it.

BTW, I'm 6' 0"

Attachments

·
Registered
427 Posts
Not sure how much help I'm going to be since I'm not sure what I have, but thought I'd toss in my two cents.

The windshield came with the '08 bike when I bought it used earlier this year. It's 15.5" from the cutout above the headlight to the top of the shield (anyone know which one I have?). I'm 6'1" and while it takes the pressure off the chest, it does not do anything for my head...so I would suggest if your desire is to get the buffeting off and over your head, you'll need to certainly go higher than my 15.5".

The only advantage to mine is that it doesn't mess with the Custom's lines/appearance nearly as much as the larger shields. For me, that's important (plus I don't do any long-distance touring on it), and so I won't be changing it.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I have a National Cycles Heavy Duty Windshield on mine. It was too tall for me. I like to look over the top not through it. So I cut it down to fit me. I ride daily with just my regular eyeglasses on and have no problems with wind in my eyes. Since I cut it down I do get some helmet buffetting, but not a whole lot.

·
Registered
109 Posts
RE: At-Home-Daddy

I'd be willing to bet that you have the Kawasaki OEM Short Windshield, Item # : K46001-086, and the height measurement is within a 1/4 inch of the online product description. I see black supports which are similar to the ones I have with my Kawasaki Touring Windshield. I'm sure both use the same brackets with a different piece of polycarbonate.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I'd be willing to bet that you have the Kawasaki OEM Short Windshield, Item # : K46001-086, and the height measurement is within a 1/4 inch of the online product description. I see black supports which are similar to the ones I have with my Kawasaki Touring Windshield. I'm sure both use the same brackets with a different piece of polycarbonate.
I originally thought it might be that as well, but the few pics I've seen of that model show a shield that's relatively straight/parallel on the sides, so :confused:. Mine tapers a bit, as seen here:

·
Registered
39 Posts
I went with the Memphis Shades Demon - smoke transition

MEM-2313-0090 Sportshield Speed Deam - 9 inch Headlight
And
MEM8934 Sportshield Trigger-Lock Mounting Kit

So far I like it, have the screen tilted all the way back. top of screen is about my chin height.

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
I originally thought it might be that as well, but the few pics I've seen of that model show a shield that's relatively straight/parallel on the sides, so :confused:. Mine tapers a bit, as seen here:

Here's the thumbnail from the Kawasaki accessory website and it looks tapered to me.

Attachments

·
Registered
427 Posts

Here's the thumbnail from the Kawasaki accessory website and it looks tapered to me.
I'll be darned...maybe that is that one. I had seen the photo below used at a number of sites w/ that part #, so assumed that was the style. Good to know...thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Have a 19" on my Custom that works well for me if that's any help to you. I'm 6'1". It's a Memphis Shades Fats with quick release brackets. My thinking when I got the brackets was I would take the windshield off in town. Hasn't happened, after using the shield I don't like riding without it. The Memphis Shades quick release brackets seem to be very secure and are nice to remove the shield when cleaning or if it goes to the shop. I did the online research thing and talked to my local bike shop guru about shield height and still wasn't sure what to buy so just made a semi-educated guess on size.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts