Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 900 Custom SE. I'm opting to change & balance both wheels myself after having hideous issues w/bad dealer/mechanic installs. It's an 'if you want it done right' kind of thing. Anyway, the front wheel on the custom seems to only accept crimp on weights & not the more common stick on ones. Is this correct? Does anybody know where I can get the appropriate weights? Also, I assume there's a special tool to crimp the weights on. I'd like to know what's recommended & where I can get one. I did a search on this forum but couldn't find any info. There was tons of stuff on Dyna Beads but I've heard mixed reviews & figure tried & true is the safest way to go. Searched the web as well but nothing I was sure would suffice came up. I can't be the only guy out there opting to change & balance his own motorcycle tires. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Try searching the companies Bada and PlombCo. They're wheel weight manufacturers.

I've never tried to find wheel weights as an end-user/consumer. I know who makes the ones we use in the shop, but they come in through corporate supply anyway.

·
Registered
253 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Go with the Dynabeads or Tyre Beads and don't look back. I've got them on three of my bikes and have reused them repeatedly when installing new tires.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Try impactkawasaki.net and see if they have what you are looking for. They carry K&L wheel weights for motorcycles. Or search on K&L weights and see what you find.

Later ... Larry S.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I just bought a pack of balance beads and had them thrown in when I had my chrome wheels mounted on new tires... rides smooth as can be, no problems so far with like 2000 miles on them... not to mention it looks more appealing without weights stuck on

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I think external weights will fade away as products like Ride On , Dyna Beads , and the Counteract beads I used will make them a thing of the past.

Keep in mind as tires wear there balance with change , ever have your cage tires rotated AND balanced ? Ever take your bike in for a tire balance ? Beads and gel continually balance , weights are balanced right on a new tire till the tire wears a little. I'm hoping for better tire life with beads.

J&P cycles has external weights in there catalog if you want to go with them.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Be aware, some tire manufacturers won't honor their warranty if you use a liquid in their tire. Best to read the fine print before using something like Ride On.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I've been looking at dynabeads, but since I don't do my own tire changes I'm worried about what happens when you pull the tire off. It seems like you'd end up with beads rolling around the floor. None of the information on their website addresses removing tires that have beads. Am I over thinking this?

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
I've been looking at dynabeads, but since I don't do my own tire changes I'm worried about what happens when you pull the tire off. It seems like you'd end up with beads rolling around the floor. None of the information on their website addresses removing tires that have beads. Am I over thinking this?
Ha ha, I've been there myself. The tire changer needs to know to take his time removing the tire from the wheel. There's enough of a dip in the shape of the tire where the beads will just be there in a clump once the tire is off of the wheel. Stand the tire up slowly and then the fun begins. IF you can (this is no joke) borrow a portable vac like a Dust Buster and ask the wife for an old pair of panty hose you're home free. Take a piece of the panty hose and place it at the opening to the Dust Buster. Let some of the panty hose go into the inlet about an inch or two. Now fire up the vac and vacuum away sucking up all the Dynabeads. DON'T SHUT IT OFF until you have a ziplock bag ready to catch the beads. Now you can simply pour them back into your new tire once the first bead is over the wheel rim.

·
BOTM Winner, March 2015
124 Posts
I use Dyna Beads as well and love them. Two tips on using them:

#1) You'll see youtube videos of people claiming they "failed", usually with them all clumped up or stuck to the inner wall of the tire. This is caused by the person mounting the tire getting soap all over everything inside the tire while mounting and / or using a fix-a-flat like product during the course of the tire's life.

#2) When the tire has reached the end of its serviceable life, I drill a one inch hole in the top of the tire using a carbide hole saw, spin it around and pour the beads into a coffee can. Ready to reuse... Cheers!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts