Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Friends.

I'm currently riding a 2010 900 custom, but I found someone a couple hours aways from me selling a 2012 Vaquero for a pretty good price. It only has 8000 miles on it.

I'm really considering going up to see it. The 900 is the largest bike I have ever rode, but I feel like I got used to it really quick. Did you guys notice that on the Vaquero as well. Anything I should know about them, or a bike that large?

·
Registered
701 Posts
The same thing will happen. You will get use to it pretty quick. There is a night and day difference between the bikes. The vaquero weighs in around 850-900lbs depending on how many extras are on it. It handle really good for its size. I went from a 900 to a 1700 nomad.Best thing I could have done.

·
Registered
256 Posts
The same thing will happen. You will get use to it pretty quick. There is a night and day difference between the bikes. The vaquero weighs in around 850-900lbs depending on how many extras are on it. It handle really good for its size. I went from a 900 to a 1700 nomad.Best thing I could have done.
Same here.

Had a 900 for 7 years and got tired of feeling beat up after a day of riding. Traded it in a Voyager last year. Took about 10 minutes to get used to the Voyager. Never looked back. Still smiling.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Haha, I just went from a Vulcan 800 to a Vaquero, took a few days of riding to truly get used to it. Now I don't even think about the extra weight any more, and my 800 feels like a toy in comparison!

Go for it, just put some miles on 'er and you'll be fine.

-John

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, friends.

I put the 900 on craigslist this morning. Gonna try to get rid of her so I can grab the vaquero!

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Haha, I just went from a Vulcan 800 to a Vaquero, took a few days of riding to truly get used to it. Now I don't even think about the extra weight any more, and my 800 feels like a toy in comparison!

Go for it, just put some miles on 'er and you'll be fine.

-John
What he said. Went from 05 800 classic to a 2012 Voyager and loving it. Kept the 800 also.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Same here. Went from the 900 Custom to the 1700 Voyager. Did not regret it, oh wait, only one thing I'm missing - the fuel economy of the 900 engine - but the engine of the 1700 is nearly the duoble of displacement, so I don't care.

Cu,
Sven

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Love my 1700 Nomad after upgrading from the 900. There are time I miss my 9 (it was a little more nimble around town), but for most of my riding, the Nomad is the right bike for me. The upgrade was very fast. It's heavy, but you get used to it. I'm not tall and can't quite flat foot it, but I still got used to the weight quickly. Once you're rolling, it's great to ride.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Anything I should know about them, or a bike that large?
Yes it is VERY heavy and above 15 MPH it is a dream to ride. However, unless you are naturally gifted and can do a U-turn on a residential street with your feet on the boards, you will need to take a course similar to "Ride like a pro". It will be the best $175 bucks you can spend.....or you can do U-turn like a grandpa, meaning turning very slowly with your feet on the ground and walking the bike all the while praying you won't drop it.

You don't have to be macho! it's ok to admit that the weight is scary. I took a course and now enjoy the bike so much more in parking lots, gas stations and making U-Turn on small streets.

I should ad that I know all about turning a bike around like a grandpa since I did it with a Goldwing for years. But after 50 years I finally learned to do it the right way.

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
From a 900 to a Vaquero here. I'd ridden other big displacement bikes but not owned one. Did a couple laps in the residential neighborhood behind the dealership, then rode it home. Honestly, the 900 is a pretty heavy, fairly big bike for a midsized bike. The 1700's aren't actually THAT much bigger. They are heavier but, you'll find it feels pretty familiar pretty quickly.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I also just upgraded from my 900 to a Vaquero. Took it out for the first time lat weekend. So easy to ride and i don't feel like it is that much bigger.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I also just upgraded from my 900 to a Vaquero. Took it out for the first time lat weekend. So easy to ride and i don't feel like it is that much bigger.
It's amazing how quickly one can transition from the smaller bikes to the Vaquero - it's scary how you can toss around that big bike!

Did you keep the 900? Whenever I throw a leg over my wife's Sportster 1200 or my VN800B, it feels like a toy, haha!

-John

·
Registered
357 Posts
I went from a 900 to a 1700 Voyager. The "cockpit" is just about the same size so it feels like the 900 to me. There is a weight difference, but for me that only comes into play when lifting it off the stand and pushing it around. Its not quite as nimble as the 900 as most have pointed out, but for my kind of riding, that is fine with me. I was only getting 40-45 mpgs with the 900 (pipes and fuel controller so I was a bit heavy on the throttle) so as long as the Voyager is in the same ballpark, I will be happy.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I went from a Honda Shadow 750 (bike weight about 510 lbs fueled) to a 1200 V-Max (bike weight 520 lbs fueled) (yes, I lightened both from stock) to a 1700 Nomad with a Quadzilla fairing added. Took less than a week for me to be fully use to the Nomad. Had no problems with it even when she was fully loaded down for long trips at parking lot speeds. This is is Celestia all packed up for my ride to Baltimore.

·
Registered
490 Posts
From a 900 to Vaquero to a Gold Wing, no problem adapting to any of them.
What sold you on the Gold Wing, as opposed to the Vaquero? Also, did you get the full-bore Wing, or the F6B? The latter is a GW but without the trunk pack, AFAIK.

-John

·
Registered
434 Posts
What sold me was my wife, she suddenly decided after about the 2nd year with the Vaquero she wanted to ride. She was never comfortable so test rode a as you call it full bore gold wing and now I have one. 3 years later still have the wing and love it, still miss my Vaquero. The main difference is no need for a fuel controller intake exhaust and much less heat. I'm sold, it will chew up the miles and normally ride 2 up every where.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts