Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone question for you!

I'm looking to get bigger tires on my bike. It currently has the stock 80/90x21 on the front, and 180/70x15 on the rear. Anyone know how big I can take the tires? I may have to get new wheels as well, but I would love to take the tires as big as the bike can handle.

Thanks so much for any info everyone may have!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have a 200 on the rear - needs no modification. You can go bigger. I would not want to go bigger personally - there is quite a wide strip not used as it is so I wonder what advantage there would be? Fat tyres look nice mind you!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Make a search on this forum you will find very good info about this !! I run 90-90/21 in the front and 230 on the rear

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That back tire looks amazing, did you need to purchase new wheels at all, or do the tires still work with the stock wheels. Also on the front did anything need to be done with the front fender?

·
Registered
347 Posts
JT, yup, I went with the rather more expensive "Low & Mean" option on the rear signal light LED & plate bracket. I bought the LED strip when L&M had their introductory special on (before it was released on their website) and got a few bucks off the price. Others have fabbed up their own LED strip. The L&M version is "split" into 3 segments - the middle 1/3 is a brake light, while the outer 1/3's are right & left flashers:

http://www.lowandmean.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypagelm.tpl&product_id=245&category_id=155&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=60

The rear 230 does mount right onto the stock rim. Some say it "balloons out" to much, but I am happy with the result. The stock rim is (IIRC) about 1/2 inch too narrow for the Avon recommended rim width, but no one has had any issues. Gillisfire has done a write-up on the 230 install here:

http://s759.photobucket.com/user/gillisfire20/library/230 install?sort=6&page=1

I did not use the Low & Mean plate light as supplied by them, but rather, used those cool little LED bolts that I bought at Custom Dynamics here:

http://www.customdynamics.com/illuminatorz_licence_plates.htm#LED_Tag_Bolts

As for the front fender, some have said they have to move the fender up a little, perhaps by oval-ing out the mounting holes or by other means. I don't know for me yet, as I have yet to mount the front tire. I expect to remove the front fender, mount the new Avon front, then assess the situation after that. This will be a fall project once the bike is off the road for winter.

Overall, I am very happy with the look of the rear of the bike now.

Now, to just play with the bars and mirrors...<<sign>>, then maybe the headlight...then maybe the front turn signals...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Shadow, thanks for those websites! It will help out so much when it comes time to purchase and install! Your bike looks mean.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts