Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thoughts from anyone that has come across this idea?

I really like the 900 around town and it's a great bike!

But, on the highways i'm always reaching for 6th gear (basically lower rpms/less whine)...it's just i feel like i'm pushing bike pretty hard to get to 75/80 whatever.

I did some quick research and maybe i'm wrong but...looks like dry weight of these two bikes are pretty close...610lbs vs 625lbs...so, I would think they are pretty similar except more cc's ci's and hp's.

i totally understand it's almost personal preference...but, just curious what people have come up with for pros/cons, etc.

I did a forum search and there were a couple postings but, just looking to hear more. I might have found a mean streak for a pretty good deal and that's why this is coming up.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
From a styling viewpoint you can't get any closer to a 900 Custom than the Mean Streak. I used to park next to one at work. The engine and front wheel are about the only difference. These are from the Cobra website:

Attachments

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One thing you may want to do is sit on one...I have a 900 Custom and when I sat on the Mean Streak, it felt smaller. Just an observation.
alright, cub-fan! I definitely will do that. thanks for the heads up!

stevieb, yup, thanks...i think that's why i like the meanstreak so much...styling is very similar but, more power. :)

·
Registered
166 Posts
If you have the money - go the Meanie !! I still love my 900 classic though but I should have gone the Meanstreak 4 years ago.

Great bike IMO !!! But that's just me ....

Cheers

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
One thing you may want to do is sit on one...I have a 900 Custom and when I sat on the Mean Streak, it felt smaller. Just an observation.
+1 on this feeling... but when I got down to it, I think it was because the foot position changes. The pegs are closer to the rider on the mean streak, so some forward controls may help with that feel. I did actually park my 9'er long enough to test ride the meanie, though, and all I can say is...

WOW!

It's not all that different from the 9, real easy to flick into the corners and navigate at low speeds, with that face splittin' grin power built into the throttle. It was a really comfortable transition, though, switching from the 9'er to the meanie, then back again.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
+1 on this feeling... but when I got down to it, I think it was because the foot position changes. The pegs are closer to the rider on the mean streak, so some forward controls may help with that feel. I did actually park my 9'er long enough to test ride the meanie, though, and all I can say is...

WOW!

It's not all that different from the 9, real easy to flick into the corners and navigate at low speeds, with that face splittin' grin power built into the throttle. It was a really comfortable transition, though, switching from the 9'er to the meanie, then back again.
thks pretzel and cruiserone...i think you guys cemented my idea...i'm going to definitely explore the meanie! :)

·
Registered
300 Posts
Just went the MS (Marauder 1600 in my case) route myself from a 900 Custom. It is/does feel smaller (primarily due to front wheel dif). Frame itself is a bit "tighter" as was mentioned previously. But, it's almost as much fun (not as since I've only had it very short time) as the 9. Handling/power are great. Best thing is that many of your 9 mods will fit on the MS. Lots of MS/Marauders out there if you want to drive to check them out. The highway thing also is much better too.

·
Registered
274 Posts
the mean streak feels like you sit way over the gas tank for some reason just a thought I to always reach for 6th gear but from what i understand no matter what you buyy your always going to reach for the non existing gear LOL I just hope the 900 is ok running at the cray rpms over 70 80 on the highway so far no problems 10,725 miles

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the mean streak feels like you sit way over the gas tank for some reason just a thought I to always reach for 6th gear but from what i understand no matter what you buyy your always going to reach for the non existing gear LOL I just hope the 900 is ok running at the cray rpms over 70 80 on the highway so far no problems 10,725 miles
i just had a crazy thought...the Vulcan 500 has a 6th gear...

I owned one a while back...I can't remember if it revs high in 6th gear at 75mph?? i think it still does a little bit, right? like 5000rpm at 70mph??

maybe I need to downgrade instead of upgrade! :)

the 500 is no slouch with it's parallel twin (same engine as ninja 500)!

·
Registered
711 Posts
I would instead look for a newer bike as the MS was discontinued back in 2008. Nothing wrong with the MS but I too sat on it and it wasn't for me. I couldn't get passt the visible shock on the rear. Also when I was looking back in Jan of 2007 I read some reviews and came to find out that on a quater mile the MS is faster than the 900 for less then 1 second. On the other hand it does have more torque but agin it's bearly faster than the 900. Vaquero is a nice bike!

·
BOTM Winner, December 2013
1,172 Posts
900 custom owner here....and I LOVE the meanie.... quite quick and nimble for a v-twin cruiser.....only a second quicker on the 1/4 mile but a second translates to a lot of bike lenghts.....the handling on the meanie would make it fun on the twistie backroads and the larger engine is a little more relaxed on the highway.....only bad thing i can say about it tiny tank...or should i say too small capacity for highway runs.....not 100% sure but i think its only 100-150 miles, not good if the next stop is 175 miles away lol

·
Registered
112 Posts
+1 to whoever said you'll always look for a nonexistent higher gear. I've done that on every bike I've ever ridden, including an MT-01 ... maybe I wouldn't do it on a Rocket III Touring (150 ft lb at 2500rpm!), who knows.

I've always loved the look of the Meanie, in fact that was one of the things that sold me on the 900 Custom :). I'd be tempted to upgrade that way too. I do like my great big tank and my belt drive but the overall quality of cycle parts and finish on the Meanie is in a different class. It doesn't quite walk the 'power cruiser' walk compared to some more recent bikes, but it is prettier than any of them.

Weights are not as close as you'd think though, the Meanie is around 290 kg dry compared with the Custom's 278 kg curb mass.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
i just had a crazy thought...the Vulcan 500 has a 6th gear...

I owned one a while back...I can't remember if it revs high in 6th gear at 75mph?? i think it still does a little bit, right? like 5000rpm at 70mph??

maybe I need to downgrade instead of upgrade! :)

the 500 is no slouch with it's parallel twin (same engine as ninja 500)!
In 6th gear my 500 does not feel pushed at all at 70-80 mph.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts