Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sold my 05 1500 Fi classic and looking at coming to a 900 for less weight and issues with heat on the 1700 classic engine. I really love to ride and commute to work about 70% of the time with shield and bags. Color schemes on both classic and custom are great, but I wonder if anyone has opinions in regards to ride differences between the two models. The obvious differences are thinner front tire but advantage of alloy wheels vs. wire. How does that custom front end effect the ride?

The other question is ref down-grade of displacement being missed? Perhaps less weight will counteract that matter. Most of my riding is at 55 to 65 on highway and back roads at 45 mph. Very little interstate long hauls planned.

Thoughts on these issues are greatly appreciated.

Hutson

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've got a Classic with shield and bags. Ride it to work whenever I can. Eight years ago I got a VTX 1300, but my girlfriend (now wife) would ride because the seat wasn't comfortable. Got a Gold Wing and kept it five years. She rode three times. So, two years ago I got a Victory Crossroads. Loved the bike. Big, comfortable in stock form. Lots of power. Then, I lost my job and it had to go in Jan, 2011.

Got back on my feet and got the 900 Classic this March. Half the size. A third the price. But, it does what I want. It seems to like running at 65 to 70 and feels like it can run all day at that speed. You probably won't miss the power that much in commuting. If you run the super slab a lot, you will notice the difference.

As far as the Custom vs Classic. I had the same choice. When I went to the dealer, I was back and forth sitting on them. In the end, my personal preference was the look of the Classic. Look at them both. Sit on both. Ride both, if you can. In the end, choose what YOU like.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank much

We have similar bike histories. I had a Voyager for a short while; great bike; wife rode all of 5 times if temps were perfect. I'm going today to ride a 900 classic LT that was traded to a harley dealership; will let you know for sure.

I agree it's about looks and I lean more towards the classic look vs. the sports cruiser. I've been looking at the Yamaha 950, but the air cooling and overall look of the bike does not do it for me. It's all about taste I guess. I've tested a HD Switch Back recently, but WOW; what a difference in feel with the vibes; feels loose at low rev and speeds. I really feel KAWA is the most reliable and engineered bike for what we do on average not to mention cost differential.

Thanks again,

Hutson

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I think it's a matter of taste and what you like to look at. I may be corrected here, but in my experience, the larger front wheel is more susceptible to lineal irregularities on the road surface, such as pavement cracks or ripples, or rain grooves cut into the pavement. The smaller diameter, fatter tire on the Classic and LT feel, to me, to be more stable and solid feeling. For the rest, I don't see much difference between the two. Oh yeah, nearly forgot, the Classic & LT have floorboards, and I love, love, love those floorboards. The Custom has footpegs that appear to be farther forward than the floorboards, which wouldn't be very comfortable to me on anything but a short ride. But that's just me. Others love the pegs.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I love my Custom....but go with your gut!
I haven't noticed any problems with the thinner front tire, it catches grooves way less than my Ninja ever did.
For me it was all about the blacked out Special Edition!

·
Registered
365 Posts
I think either would suit your purpose just fine. I chose a Classic, based on the fat front tire, figuring it would be better over potholes, road debris etc that I might encounter in commuting.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I took a while to decide too. Everyone told me that I was "old school" so the Classic SE was for me. I was coming from a 112hp, DOHC V-4 Suzuki Cavalcade and a Honda Shadow 1100 with 64 HP. So yes, the 900 isn't as fast, but I'm also older, avoid the Interstates and we moved to the country with secondary highways where most of my riding is done at 50-55MPH, 60 on straight aways with the engine "purring". The 900 will carry you anywhere you want to go at those speeds without straining and probably last as long as you want it to. I'm glad I have the wide front tire. As for spoked wheels, My 120 Suzuki, Honda 305 Super Hawk, Sukuki TS 185 and Sukuki Titan 500 all had spoked wheels. Never had a flat.

·
Registered
170 Posts
If you like the Custom, you know it right away. It was never a question for me. I like my feet out front so the pegs and 21" front tire is appealing to me.
I chose the Custom because of the way it is set up and at 5'7" it is a perfect fit. The two bikes are the same but very different.

Yes, my front tire finds every groove in the road!

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
So many opinions and preferences.

I have 900 custom. I weigh all the benefits...
economics - gas mileage, large tank 5.3 over 200 range
looks - I like it overall and have no problems with taller thinner tire
power - its got it when I want it even though I'm in the 45-55 mph average on 2-lanes
height - sits tall enough and don't scrape pegs plus both feet on the ground at stops
fun delivery - excellent!

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
I immediately went to the Classic and the old school look. As you can see I stayed with the school add-ons as well. This pic is about two months old, just put larger saddle bags on & a back rest of my wife. I have never been happier riding a bike, it just fits great. At the end of the day it's personal choice, but Classic or Custom this bike fits the bill.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
but I wonder if anyone has opinions in regards to ride differences between the two models. The obvious differences are thinner front tire but advantage of alloy wheels vs. wire. How does that custom front end effect the ride?
I have both a 09 classic and a '10 custom ..... the classic is my touring bike of choice and for 2 up riding, the custom is my solo day rider ....

Both bikes sport 200 rear tires, hard bags and batwing fairings,, the custom has a 5" shield and the classic a 9".

The classic sports a wider more spread out lower handle bar set up, much more comfortable for the longer ride, i have no issues with hand numbness or wrist cramp. It has floor boards which allow a more versatile foot position and you can move your feet around as needed.

It has a mustang seat which raises you slightly and moves you forward about an inch, I'm 5'10" tall and have no issues with putting both feet on the ground. I find it a more comfortable ride with the wider front tire but is a little slower when putting it into a turn due to the front tire width.

The custom handle bars are raised higher and the grips are closer than the classic. With the bar set up and the skinny front, turning into a corner is "quicker" and less cumbersome than the classic. The larger front rides over "pot holes and seams/cracks" a little easier and smoother than the smaller classic rim. I have a saddle man solo seat on the custom, it drops you about a 1" lower than the stocker but the seating position is the same. Foot positioning is fixed and there is no relief method to moving them (your feet) unless you hang the whole foot over the peg. It is a different riding position than the classic, much more stretched out.

It all comes down to personal choice and wants .... the custom is a little more stylish and the classic has the more traditional feel. Mechanics wise, both bikes sport the same frame and mechanics sans the wheels, handle bars and pegs. Both are very capable rides for the commuter and touring at highway speeds. Both have a ton of available accessories. While the custom feels a little lighter on its feet, the weight difference between both bikes is minimal.

The debate over tubeless vs tubed tires is a personal preference and both have +'s and -'s.

I have come from a 1250 in line 4, water cooled, FI ABS sport tourer, i was worried about the lack of power etc .... i have not been disappointed in my purchases, both are fun, capable rides.

Like i tell everybody, they don't do all things great, they just do most things well.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Whiting - your classic looks stunning.

I'm a classic man myself. To me the custom looks like it's trying too hard. At the end of the day you can only tell by sitting on each. Mechanically they are pretty much the same although again I prefer the fatter front tyre. Tubeless on the custom is an advantage but then I've never had a flat.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Whiting - your classic looks stunning.
Hey thanks ..... where are you down under ... im coming home this sat. For ten days. Driving from hervey bay Qld to goolwa SA.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I had the T/S 185 when they were building I-20 and we spent the weekend riding up and down the overpasses while they were still fairly lose dirt. Got the Titan 500 afterwards. So it must have been around 1975. Red tank with gold stripes, chrome fenders, spoked wheels. Would blow out a smoke screen if you really got down on it. Kick start, oil injection, carbs and two stroke. It was so simple. No repairs ever.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Always a fan of the lt/classic....then I seen the tangerine/black custom....well.....lol.
Truth is, personally, I've always found the custom to look a little"smallish"....just my perception....and the lt, when I sat in it...I knew immediately it was the bike for me. Sit on both...ride both if you can, the floorboards on the classic are a deal/maker for me.....then I seen the tangerine/black custom....lmao.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Always a fan of the lt/classic....then I seen the tangerine/black custom....well.....lol.
Truth is, personally, I've always found the custom to look a little"smallish"....just my perception....and the lt, when I sat in it...I knew immediately it was the bike for me. Sit on both...ride both if you can, the floorboards on the classic are a deal/maker for me.....then I seen the tangerine/black custom....lmao.
Tangerine...... :eek:

Sir, I am insulted! :mad:

Officially known as Candy Sparkling Orange, this bike is definitely not tangerine. :cool:

And everyone knows that Candy Sparkling Orange is way less gay than tangerine!;)

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
And everyone knows that Candy Sparkling Orange is way less gay than tangerine!;)

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
I think if I owned that bike and didn't wanna sound 'fruity' (hehe, get it?)... I'd just call it orange.

Not candy apple tangello princess off-yellow. Or whatever :p

Just messing :p

1 - 20 of 27 Posts