Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, today I did my first oil change on my 9 since picking it up last December as it ticked over 12,000km yesterday. Oil filter came off OK (obviously been changed by the PO) with a little help from a pair of stillsons. Put the bike up on my wood frame jack and drained the old oil through the sump drain.

While draining, thought I would take out the side plug/screen and check it as well. After undoing the plug, guess what I found???? no screen!! zip, nada, nought!! The spring I pulled out doesn't even match that shown on other posts either, it is about 3/4" in dia and shorter than that shown in post pics of the screen.

Being an Australian model and an 11/07 build, would Kawi have changed this in later models and from US models?? Should I talk to my local dealer?? :confused:

I welcome any comments.

Ride safe!!

·
Registered
166 Posts
stick your little finger on there, the oil screen sits firm in there so you should feel it and try to wiggle it out (easier when you have small / skinny fingers ...)
If the screen is not there contact the dealer and nail him !!

Hope that helps

Cheers

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Cruiserone, so what you are saying is the screen is actually further back inside the opening?? I stuck my finger inside as you indicated and picked up a thin flat washer at the back. Is the screen in behind that??

·
Registered
227 Posts
Well, today I did my first oil change on my 9 since picking it up last December as it ticked over 12,000km yesterday. Oil filter came off OK (obviously been changed by the PO) with a little help from a pair of stillsons. Put the bike up on my wood frame jack and drained the old oil through the sump drain.

While draining, thought I would take out the side plug/screen and check it as well. After undoing the plug, guess what I found???? no screen!! zip, nada, nought!!

Could you guys explain what is the purpose of this oil "screen" ? I have heard of it before but can't make out what purpose it serves (since we have a good size filter)...
Thanks

·
Registered
782 Posts
Thanks Cruiserone, so what you are saying is the screen is actually further back inside the opening?? I stuck my finger inside as you indicated and picked up a thin flat washer at the back. Is the screen in behind that??
Yes, the screen is behind that washer. I have fat fingers so I use my pinky finger (little one on opposite end from thumb) to pull it out. It is a tube shape screen about 3-4 inches long (75-100mm). It has to bend a little to get past the frame rail. Pay attention to how it comes out. One end of the tube is open and the other end is capped. Put it back the same way.

As for what this does compared to a regular oil filter... I have no idea. I do know that all of your old inline 4-cylinder sport bikes had these screens. Maybe it is just a Japanese bike thing that has flowed over into the cruisers as well. But it is pretty easy to pull out and clean, so I figure it can't hurt. By the way, this screen is not mentioned in the Owners Manual or even the Service Manual. I guess they don't figure it is worth messing with at Kawisaki.

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
By the way, this screen is not mentioned in the Owners Manual or even the Service Manual. I guess they don't figure it is worth messing with at Kawisaki.
Huh?? That's news to most of us who have the service manual! I believe it's in the owner's manual also. Here's a little pic from the service manual:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
The screen filters out larger chunks of debris like metal shavings and chips before they go through the oil pump. The smaller stuff gets taken care of by the spin-on oil filter.

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
When changing the oil filter, fill the new filter about half-full or more with fresh oil. Apply a little grease to the gasket, and then install.
On full-flow oil systems, all the oil from the pump goes through the filter before any goes to the engine bearings. By pre-filling the filter, your engine doesn't have to run as long without oil pressure while the pump is filling up the filter.
Your engine will be happy!:)

·
Registered
782 Posts
Huh?? That's news to most of us who have the service manual! I believe it's in the owner's manual also. Here's a little pic from the service manual:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Let me clarify, I did not see it in my service manual in the section titled "Periodic Maintenance - Engine Oil Change / Oil Filter Replacement". I also do not see it listed on the "Periodic Maintenance Chart" as one of the things to check regularly. Odd that.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, the screen is behind that washer. I have fat fingers so I use my pinky finger (little one on opposite end from thumb) to pull it out. It is a tube shape screen about 3-4 inches long (75-100mm). It has to bend a little to get past the frame rail. Pay attention to how it comes out. One end of the tube is open and the other end is capped. Put it back the same way.

As for what this does compared to a regular oil filter... I have no idea. I do know that all of your old inline 4-cylinder sport bikes had these screens. Maybe it is just a Japanese bike thing that has flowed over into the cruisers as well. But it is pretty easy to pull out and clean, so I figure it can't hurt. By the way, this screen is not mentioned in the Owners Manual or even the Service Manual. I guess they don't figure it is worth messing with at Kawisaki.
Thanks Jeep Pirate, I will check more thoroughly at the next oil change. As I mentioned in my original post, the old oil filter came off relatively easily and the oil that I drained out didn't look too bad (ie. not too black), so obviously not the first all change, just a 'peace of mind' thing, thats all. Thanks to all who responded.

Cheers & ride safe.:cool:

·
Registered
711 Posts
If you cant find it I wouldn't worry too much. I checked my oil screen at 6k miles and then again at the 12k and found zero of anything. I figured I would check ever 10k after that.

·
Registered
295 Posts
If you cant find it I wouldn't worry too much. I checked my oil screen at 6k miles and then again at the 12k and found zero of anything. I figured I would check ever 10k after that.
+1. I don't see how that screen will catch anything that the oil filter wouldn't. It seems redundant to me. I've never had mine out and don't plan on taking it out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts