Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, new around here and have been learning so much about my 2013 900 Custom from reading this forum. While my wallet says no, my head keeps saying yes and I have been ordering several pieces for my new baby. One that I am currently conflicted on is the exhaust. Does one exist that is only marginally louder than stock? I really enjoy the sound they provide but from what I have been reading most can be deafening. Vance/Hines and Cobra seem to be the popular choices, is one far louder than the other, and am I overlooking others that could potentially be quieter? Whatever I get I would plan on getting the quiet baffles regardless.

Currently, I have ordered a big air kit, powerpro tuner, solo seat, and a pair of black Arlen Ness Teardrop mirrors, considering adding a bullet faring in the future. Really looking forward to tearing into this bike. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

And a picture of the new bike for good measure:

·
Registered
35 Posts
i just put cobra longs on my classic and its loud! i had a guy next to me the other day on a custom with V&H slash and they sound real nice! but i love my loud pipes and well, thats why i got them. I think if you didnt want to loud i would go V&H, plus they look real clean too!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I liked the V&H the best but was worried about them being too loud.

have you considered debaffling?
Somewhat, I was trying to locate the thread describing how to do it but have not had any luck. Would you happen to have a link? I may try debaffling first. Thanks!

·
Registered
357 Posts
full debaffle: get a 2 1/2" hole saw and a sawz-all.

a 3/8" drill bit will cleanly take out the rivets on the baffle shields (the part you see with the 3 rivets)

if you want to try just drilling the baffles first it is a little louder but not really loud, I used a 5/8" drill bit and did 4 holes first in each baffle plate

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Most Cobra Pipes = Loud and wonderful! Proceed at your own risk!

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Does one exist that is only marginally louder than stock? I really enjoy the sound they provide but from what I have been reading most can be deafening.
I think it is safe to say, anything aftermarket is going to be loud, then there is also obnoxious ... Vance and Hines and Cobra's are loud .... Hard Chrome's, IMHO are obnoxious.

I run American performance on my bike ... they are also available in the matt black finish. They are also loud and come pre baffled. having said that, I can not hear them over 50 mph with all the wind noise and my ear plugs in. Here is the look.

Some makes have a baffle option as well. Its what ever floats your boat. You could try the de-baffle on the stock pipes and if that does not do it for you, go to after market pipes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interesting, thanks for the suggestions fellas! I think I'm going to give debaffling a try.

Whiting that is a beautiful bike, really pops.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Nice bike by the way - looks cool in the white paint scheme for 2013.

Before you drill holes in the back, which tells everyone what you have done, consider drilling or punching one hole down the middle of each pipe (harder to see) - that way you get more sound without the 'can't afford aftermarket pipes' jibes.

Best of luck whatever you decide to do.:)

·
BOTM Winner, October/2012
291 Posts
I went with debaffled for awhile, but I wanted loud so I also went with freedom performance

·
Registered
70 Posts
Debaffled pipes are great but nothing compares to a top aftermarket system with a classy growl to do the 900's pedigree performance real justice. When I open the throttle on my V&H Big Radius pipes, very few cruisers of any brand can compete IMO. Some genuinely don't mind if their bike sounds a bit tame but to my way of thinking a great bike deserves a great pipe. ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts