Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
BOTM Winner, March 2015
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always been a fan of the low-rider bagger style (I know a lot of folks aren't a fan as well), and I never really cared much for the hard bags that were available as "bolt-ons" for the 900 Custom, so I decided to custom adapt and fabricate what ever it took to get stretched hand laid fiberglass bags and matching fender, intended for a "flock" bike, to fit my Custom. I also set myself a budget of $1,000 for the whole project (including the bags and fender)... I did it... with money to spare, finding a great deal on the hardbags, lids, and fender was a great help... the rest came from ebay mostly. I've attached a photo of where the bike is currently at, if there's interest, I can post pictures of what I had to do to get to this point. I'm currently waiting for my new "old school" rawhide saddle to show up so I can finish the fender installation and make it all look like it was meant to be there. Let me know if I should post further... Thanks for looking.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Looks great!!! I so want to do this. I love my 900 Custom and don't want to spend 20K or more for a Street Glide. I have a more reliable bike than any Harley. And best of all mine is paid for.

Please keep all of us updated on this project.

·
BOTM Winner, March 2015
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lonestar R & Graybush~ Thanks for the feedback! I'll re-wind the clock a little and post more detail of how I got here, including pictures so i can prove it happened. :D I'll also list a total parts list and tool requirement... I've been known to use a wrench as a hammer, and a hammer as a screw driver... so my tool list may be skewed a bit. :p

·
Registered
658 Posts
nice work. looking forward to more pics.

·
Registered
253 Posts
nice love it!!! really!!! put much pics you can!!! love your work!!

·
Registered
133 Posts
I'm interested not that I can afford to do this but I all about the bagger look.

I will be watching. BTW how the heck are you gonna run duels?

M

·
BOTM Winner, March 2015
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Morningstar~ I have two 1930's Ford taillights / turn signals I intend to put in the exhaust openings on the bottoms of the bags, they look to fill out the space nicely and should "class up" the rear a bit. I got such a great buy on these bags and fender, I couldn't pass them up... dual exhaust or no. Doing a dummy pipe also crossed my mind... but I like the sound of my Britt pipes too much to swap them for a two-into-one arrangement. At the very least I could fiberglass in the openings to make them look like a solid back... but I think the lights will look pretty sweet. ;) I'm working on uploading some additional pictures now...

·
BOTM Winner, March 2015
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Shopping List:

Hand Laid Fiberglass Hardbags, Lids, and Fender $420
Latch and Hinge Hardware for Lids $130
Rawhide leather solo seat, passenger pillion, hardware $220
16 feet of 1/2" steel rod $12
10 feet of 3/16" x 1" bar stock $16
Assorted hardware, washers, bolts, spacers, etc... $20
Total Cost: $818
Budget: $1,000

Money Left over for Beer: $182 %P

The Inspiration...

This bagger belongs to a friend of mine... they were kind enough to let me climb all over it inspecting the factory brackets and spacings, snapping pictures and takings measurements. I decided to save about $200 and fabricate all of the brackets and supports versus adapting the "flock brand" ones... besides, what fun would that be. :D

·
Registered
365 Posts
Looks good so far. I've been fantasizing about doing a full on custom 900 bagger ever since I thumbed through my first copy of American Bagger. Can't wait to see your results.

·
BOTM Winner, March 2015
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry for the delay in updating this... busy week of working late, working on bike, and school orientations with the kids. I guess I'm going to post the essential pictures of what needed to be modified and fabricated to mount these bags and fender. I'm still waiting on my new seat to show up so I can determine what to do to make it all tie in with the fender. If there's something anyone would like to see in more detail just ask...

After removing the factory fender and laying the newer fender in place, it became immediately apparent that I would need to either widen the gap between fender struts, or bring them closer. I opted to cut off both struts and move them inward towards each other by about 5/16" each. This allows the fender to lay over top of the struts, hiding them. It also allows me to use the factory drilled and tapped holes to mount the new fender.

Before Strut Removal

After Strut Removal

Level the mototrcycle, then level the fender struts, tack in place and double check.

The fender should snuggly lay over the struts...just ignore that extra rod hanging down from the fender for now. ;)

·
BOTM Winner, March 2015
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
On to the bags:

HD style touring bags, whether OEM or "stretched", have a support rail that runs along the bottom of the bag. The rear portion of the bag support rail connects to a vertical fender support rail. The forward portion of the bag support bolts to the frame (on HD bikes). I could have bought OEM support rails and modified them to fit but decided since this is essentially a custom installation, I'd fabricate them... to make it "mine". I also decided to take the extra time to make everything "bolt on" versus welding everything in place. This way I can remove everything and get it all powder coated for a more professional appearance.

Bottom of left side bag showing the beginnings of a support rail being formed and fitted. I used 1/2" diameter mild steel bar stock. It welds nicely and is easy to cleanly bend using a MAP gas torch and small bench vice.

The bottom support rail after being dry fitted to bike and cut to length.

This is with everything tacked in place before final welding and cleanup. The hard bags have two bolts on the top that fasten to the 1/2"-13 threaded standoffs that are welded to the fender strut and fender support bracket. Scroll through the next few photos and you'll see.

This shows the bolt locations in the top of the hard bags. I have thick nylon washers for on the inside once they are mounted for road use.

This is the front mount location of the lower bag support. I decided to make a small plate which mounts under the passenger foot peg and weld everything to that. Why drill and tap more holes when we can just use the factory ones.

·
Registered
245 Posts
That is looking great. I would love to do that to my bike. Keep the pics coming. That way I can drool some more.

·
BOTM Winner, March 2015
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
One thing I like about matched fender and bags is you can greatly reduce the gap between them versus traditional universal bolt on bags... this is the main reason I went this route. It's tricky to photograph, but the bags aren't touching the fender, they are solidly mounted with a 3/8" gap running between them at the rear.

·
Registered
140 Posts
One thing I like about matched fender and bags is you can greatly reduce the gap between them versus traditional universal bolt on bags... this is the main reason I went this route. It's tricky to photograph, but the bags aren't touching the fender, they are solidly mounted with a 3/8" gap running between them at the rear.

you are very talented and I for one am impressed! I couldn't fabricate anything if my life depended on it... thanks for sharing!!:D
more pics more pics... as you go..

·
BOTM Winner, March 2015
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you everyone for your comments... it's nice to hear that there's some interest and approval out there of what I'm doing. I know of a few :pig: riders that won't be fans of this. :D

·
BOTM Winner, March 2015
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks Trempus, I can't go any further until my new seat arrives, hopefully by Tuesday. If anyone wants to see anything specific just ask and I'll post it up. :camera:

1 - 20 of 88 Posts