Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading and all that wonderful stuff; how to tell if the lines/cables are good and right fit for apes. What I haven't found yet, is if a +2 baron cable kit would work for a 12 " with 1" risers. I know there has to be measuring done to determine how much slack i really need. But if any one out there has used +2 from barons, what were your end results? I am considering going for 14-16" ape cables, they are the same price on many sites.

I also know that the +2 means there are two additional inches compared to the stock cables - at least that is what i have read. thanks for your input!

-Albio

·
Registered
918 Posts
I can tell you that the stock cables will work with a 10" mini-ape bar w/o modifications. I would do a +4 if going to a 12" bar. My bike came with +4 cables and it had a 10" mini ape attached to 2" pull back risers. Still had room for a taller bar. I've since gone back to stock height risers. I think I could fit a 13" bar on there and it would be ok. Those longer kits should include extensions for bar electronics, too.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Crazy Rider,

thank you for the response. I have been looking around and seems like there are a lot of kits without the electronic wiring, most people seem to have only the cable and brake line. I will keep searching for a good price on a good cable; motion pro seems the best option for throttle and clutch, but then a separate brake line purchase is required.

thanks again.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Measurements... I measured my cables this afternoon and here is what I have; keep in mind this is on my bike '09 Vulcan custom 900 and these are my stock cables; I hope it helps give you all guidance for the future.

Throttle cables are about 40" clutch is about 35 1/2" and (front) brake is about 44 1/2"

So with that said, and based on what I have read, I will probably get motion pro cables with about 10" added on. So throttle will be 50"-51" and clutch will be 45"-46". The brake line will be about 54"-55".

Motion Pro doesn't sell hydraulic brake lines, so this will be a separate purchase. I may got a bit higher than those numbers. I'm going to talk with my local shop first.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts