·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A guy got off his 1400 yesterday and said,

"That's a nice bike mate; what is it?"
"A VN900."
"Oh what's that - a Yamaha?"
"The clue's in the name," I replied pointing to the word KAWASAKI on the side (doh!)
"Kawasaki eh - thought it was a Victory at first. Nice innit?" he replied.

Victory hmmm - I suppose that was a compliment.

So what's your favorite compliment on the 900?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Wednesday I met the mechanic from National Lampoon's Vacation. There are some truly interesting people in Arizona ghost towns. He said, "Thanks for bringing my bike back." He also said, "Just leave the key in it." After that we had a nice conversation, then I went in to see his boss who is a new client.

I hear "Nice bike" from people walking past my office quite often.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I get asked what kind of bike my 09 custom SE is all the time, and get regular compliments at gas stations ect. Ive even been told by Harley guys its the sharpest jap bike they've seen. The only one im sick of is "that's a nice Harley wannabe" and "why don't you get a real Harley". But for some reason those only come from the stuck up HD riders.

·
Registered
340 Posts
The only one im sick of is "that's a nice Harley wannabe" and "why don't you get a real Harley". But for some reason those only come from the stuck up HD riders.
Tell them ... "no thanks, I got what I wanted"
It may only be karma, but I heard that same thing at a gas station when I was out with the non harleys.
Then theirs wouldn't start at all. I got to remind them that mine runs.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I always just tell them its twice the bike Harley will ever build, smile, and start it up amidst their protesting. Its strangely satisfying.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The best compliments come from non bikers - they just take the good looks of the VN at face value. Bikers get all tangled up in other agendas. A neighbour's visitor came over the other day and said 'what a beautiful bike!'
Yep that about sums it up.

I dig showy bikes - if it's a Harley, I'll say so. If it's a Yamahonkasuki, that too. In my mind the only ugly things in the biking world go round on two legs. :pig:

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
"I dig showy bikes - if it's a Harley, I'll say so. If it's a Yamahonkasuki, that too. In my mind the only ugly things in the biking world go round on two legs." - Bay Rider

That about sums it up for me as well!

·
Registered
260 Posts
A few weeks after I bought my 900, I stopped in at the bank to put in some paperwork. When I was finished, I came back out to the street and hopped on the bike, started her up, and was putting my gloves on when this old lady came walking down the sidewalk. She was going slow, had one of those medical canes with the four stumpy legs at the bottom. She got about ten feet away from me and said "Nice bike!" and winked at me quite suggestively.

So yeah, my 900 will get me the attention of old cougars. Who knew?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Its funny my bike is "clean" as in it has no, markings at all. I get, "man wicked harley" all the time. My response is usually its just like harley but it starts

·
Registered
47 Posts
I get the "nice bike" too, and an occasional "nice color" from Harley guys. (even a half smile) I have a Harley dealer 1/2 mile from my house....Kawasaki dealer right across the street. I've been in the Harley shop just to check out prices (OMG !)....then head over to the Kawasaki dealer. The Harley dealership shop/repair part is larger than the show room. (heheheee)

·
Registered
340 Posts
Its funny my bike is "clean" as in it has no, markings at all. I get, "man wicked harley" all the time. My response is usually its just like harley but it starts
Got a little bigger pic of it than the avatar?

·
Registered
370 Posts
I have heard several times that my paint job is nice on my 09 se. To bad they are only stickers lol

·
BOTM Winner, October/2012
291 Posts
coming out of walmart the other night, I was putting on my helmet and this lady walked by and said "Good God that's a nice bike!"

·
Registered
87 Posts
I to get a lot of comps on mine . A coworker and I go to strokers at lunch on Fridays . Last friday he had his wife with him . We were outside looking over the bikes in the parking lot . He rides a heritage and as we were standing there his wife said honey I like your bike but I like Chris's bike better . Boy I thought the fight was going to be on . All I could say is ya the red and silver really pops out . Had a good laugh under my breath .

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Did a write up about this a spell back....the best compliment I ever had was when I was parked next to a few bikes (Harley's, a few yamaha's) and a road crew pulled in...steamroler and all....they all hopped out, strode by all the other bikes...and came to mine and asked all the typical questions...then they turned, walked by the other bikes again, and went in and got their coffee's....that was pretty cool.

Oh, and the looks on the Harley guys faces was priceless.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sometimes no words are spoken to give a compliment....a nod, a smile or a turned head as you pass and you get the message ok. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just picked up my 900 Custom and with no more then 14km on the bike I stopped a local custom bike shop, I order parts through regularly. Every bike there is a Harley, and everyone of the guys there liked my bike. It's nice pulling up to a place like that and hearing compliments. Gives some respect back to some Harley owners, and shows that there are guys out there that don't care what you ride, just that you ride...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Random dude in a truck: Love your Harley, man!
Me: Thanks! Actually, it's a Kawasaki.
Trucker dude: Oh. Is it a 1700?
Me: 900.
Trucker dude: Oh. Well, it's pretty nice anyway.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts