Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Living The Dream
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I ride 2 up and loaded a lot. (And I mean loaded) My question is, will I eventually damage my clutch riding in the friction zone too much? I know they are built for doing such a thing. I have both overdrive pulleys, and when taking off from a stop I notice that when I have a passenger and all our luggage, I really need to feather the clutch and ride that friction zone for much longer than I do when solo with no payload. Thoughts?

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
Of course whenever a clutch is slipping, that is when the wear occurs, but when heavily loaded you have no choice so do not worry about it.

·
Living The Dream
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well it's not slipping, I just realize I am really riding in the friction zone a lot heavier when loaded. Thanks much Sfair for easing my mind. I read a few threads today where others are actually having/had issues. One boiled down to a plugged hole between the main and secondary reservoirs on the master cylinder I think. And the other seems to be simply slipping or worn clutch plates. But that always gets me thinking about my situation when I read about problems others are having. Just trying to be pro active, always nice to have these discussions. Thanks again!

·
Registered
536 Posts
With both overdrive pulleys it is probably like taking off in 2nd gear. It will definitely shorten the life of your clutch but I have seen very few post here relating to a bad clutch so here's hoping it lasts a long time. At least you are aware of it and can take it easy.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
Well it's not slipping, !
Anytime the clutch is between complete disengagement and full engagement, it is slipping. Actually, with a wet clutch, even with the lever pulled, the clutch is still dragging slightly.
It is between these two zones only for a short time so it is not much of a concern. Its is when you are parading or learning between the cones and constantly slipping to maintain a slow speed that it could become an issue.
I always ride two up and sometimes starting on an uphill, some major slipping has to occur to get rolling. Nothing I can do about it, so worrying will not help. Just normal wear and tear.

You clutch is cable operated, so the cylinder holes are not an issue for you.

·
Living The Dream
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gotchya! I had a feeling that's what you were saying. I haven't felt any ill effect from such actions. In fact I use that friction zone maybe more than normal, while dragging the rear brake. The technique was drilled into us in the MSF course for maintaining consistent slow speed operations, like when slow there's moving traffic at intersections in town and what not, hairpin turns and so forth. I was told the bikes are built for that, not overly concerned about it. Gotta do it!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts