Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried a 1700 Classic the other day and I think I prefer my 900!! WHOA!!! I was actually suprised and a bit disappointed because I really wanted a six speed and a little more power. The gearing seemed spread out more with higher ratio's. Meaning cruising down the beach at very slow speeds, you had to be in 1st or a big jump to 2nd. The bike does not like to be lugged! The bike felt very clunky from 1st to 2nd. The belt whine was a lot louder at very slow speeds and the front end seemed to jump up and down a bit when I got on the throttle at higher speeds. Almost like an unbalanced front wheel or a front engine mount. Not sure if this is normal or just this bike. Anybody else have experiences with a 1700?

·
Registered
74 Posts
...I put a Baron's front pulley on my nine....small improvement, but excellent. The Baron pulley is excellent quality....belt is dead quiet.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
To tell you the truth , I have been looking at getting something bigger, I sit on the 1700 every time I go to the dealer for parts, To hear that the 1700 might be a little difficult at low speeds seems about right. 1700 great on slab and just ok in city is what I hear from other riders.

I would say there is something wrong with the front end if it is bouncing

·
Registered
74 Posts
tires?

...when I put a new front tire on my V9 recently...we went through two Metzelers that "bounced"...third try I just went back with a Dunlop, and now, rides like velvet....I had read that Metz's were great, and I have one on the rear that is perfect...but two I tried were "out of round" for the front...and my wheel, and spokes checked "true" before the changes.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
I really, really, really wanted to buy a 1700 Classic, and went in intending to buy one several times. It just wasn't meant to be, and I'm happy about that now.You're right - on that big engine, you're down in first at lower speeds. You have to work that clutch!

·
Registered
847 Posts
Larger bike

I also would like a larger bike, but none of those I tried felt right, balance wise etc. The Harley Soft Tail Classic is nice but the engine heat is to be thought about. I have had larger bikes in the past but the 9 has spoiled me for fit and feel..

·
Registered
847 Posts
tires

I have run Metzlers for years. The set I have on now has a tremendous amount of wgt. on the rear tire. They may have lost something in quality control. Next time I am looking at another brand...

·
BOTM Winner, February 2016
265 Posts
The balance on the 1700 is a bit difficult to deal with, its considerable heavier and sits a few inches higher than the 900 making it feel a lot more top heavy. Not really all that great on the twisties though.

The 900 is a super fun ride, but that said for 2-up the 1700 is awesome!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the comments guys. I'm not giving up yet on the 1700. I'm going to look at a 2009 this weekend. The bike should be well broken in with 11,000 miles on it and has a new set of tires. When I first got my 900 I had a hard time getting used to it, but now it feels fine (except for that non existent 6th gear). My wife rides with me quite a bit, so the extra power would come in handy. And no, she's only 140lbs!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just "upgraded" to a 1700

I am certainly no expert since I have less than 200 miles on my new Vulcan 1700 Classic LT, but I moved from a 2006 Kawasaki Concours and the switch has it's pros and cons! The seat height on the Vulcan is LOWER than the Concours and the leg positioning is totally different! I LIKE THE CHANGE! And, riding to work on I-40 toward Knoxville where the speed "limit" is 70, the Vulcan just wants MORE! With my Concours it had more get-up-n-go but at 70 mph, let's just say it's not a cruiser. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the Concours and it was a tough decision between getting a new one or buying the Vulcan! And, as with any switch, there are things you like and things you are, well, disappointed with. Since I've never been into challenging curves and pushing the limits on the road, I am very happy with my Vulcan!! When I went into a dealer to look at the 900, I was told that I would be "disappointed" going from a 1000cc to the 900cc. I went from a Suzuki 800 to the Concours and was happy with the increased power, just as I am from the Concours to the Vulcan 1700!

·
Registered
702 Posts
I made the switch from a 900 classic to the 1700 classic.

Pros -- more power, smoother on the highway (6th gear is nice), better gauges, self-cancelling turn signals.

Cons -- as mentioned a little clunky in the lower gears, sits higher and more top heavy (760 lbs vs. 640 lbs) than the 900, trickier at low speed maneuvering, less choices in aftermarket accessories, not quite as fun to zip around town as the 900.

With all that being said, the fact that most of my riding is around town, I sometimes regret making the switch but with only 1200 miles on the bike I am going to stick with it for now.

If I did more highway/two-up riding, I would probably be happier with my decision.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I like your honesty, i too looked at the 1700, and as i'm not getting too much stronger as i get older, i felt the lighter weight 900 is more to my needs. Glad with my decision although ofcourse there are times i'd like that extra power, most of my riding in and around town, nearby country roads too. Good riding to you!!cheers...wally

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
It would be great if we could have them both :)

·
Registered
698 Posts
For what it's worth I went to a local retailer who is agent for both Suzuki & Kawa. He said that the Kawa is disappointing and that the Suz 1500 was a better bike. (I'm lusting after a Suz 109r but that's another story). You can't get a naked Suz 1500 here any more that's the equivalent of a Kawa 1700 Classic, but if you want shield & bags anyway then that might not be an issue.
I might have to upgrade soon because my riding mate is getting a brand new HD Fat Boy as a F'n BIRTHDAY PRESENT from his son! The bast*ard (only joking) doesn't know yet.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Went from a Zx-9R sport bike to my Vulcan 900 and for the most part am very happy with the power, but I would like a 6th gear for the highway. Thought about going to a 1700 in a couple years, but after reading some of the experiences here, I am going to stick with the 900.

Just need to find out how to adapt a 1700 transmission and bore out the cylinders to a 1200 ;)

·
Registered
34 Posts
All you guys looking at the 1700, been there done that. A V2K should on your need to look at list too. Ergos are very similar to the 900. Well isn't the 900 actually styled after the 2K?cheers, Peter

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
All you guys looking at the 1700, been there done that. A V2K should on your need to look at list too. Ergos are very similar to the 900. Well isn't the 900 actually styled after the 2K?cheers, Peter
Except that they don't make the 2000 anymore . . .

·
Registered
34 Posts
True, true, but that means you are looking for a good used one. Should be less expensive than new. If you must have new....then 1700 is the option in the kawi world.

·
Registered
357 Posts
or even a good used 1500/1600 fits the bill? take care of them and they will run for years.

it's like my truck '04 Tacoma, the dealers in the area always send flyers in the mail asking to buy back my truck :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts