Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '08 900 classic, spoked wheels and tube type tires. About 2 and a half months ago I had a flat tire, parked it at work in the morning went out on my lunch hour and it was flatter than Florida, managed to get it to a shop and picked it up later the same day, the service guy said they didn't find anything in the tire, but there was a hole in the tube. Ok so I figure whatever punctured the came out of the tire, or it was a pinch flat. Whatever. I've been checking tire pressures on a more regular basis, the other day I checked the rear tire, the one with the flat before, and the pressure was down to 6 psi! used my little emergency pump and put it at 38 psi, 2 days later checked it again, back down to 6 psi. I checked the tire I didn't see any offending objects stuck in it. For 2 months it was fine now I'm losing air way too fast. So my next thing to check is the valve stem core. I can't ever remember having an issue with one, but I figure it's cheap and fast to replace. Any other suggestions? I can't remove the tire myself. Could there be something about the wheel itself causing holes in the tubes? Is this the beginning of a love hate relationship with tube type tires?

I know the 900 custom came with tubeless rims and tires, anyone ever fit them to a 900 classic?

·
Registered
291 Posts
To check the valve stem/core use good soapy water with the tire aired up. Just watch for bubbles. No bubbles, no leaks there.

I've had 4 flats on my 500 (also spoke rims/tubes), and every time it required replacing the tube. Too many nails where I work...

I'm willing to bet there is something that has probably poked a new hole in the tube. If it held air for 2 months and then suddenly went low, that's a telltale of a new problem. By the sound of it, it's a very small hole, so may be patchable in a way. There is the tube type Slime, and also another product called Ride-on that are tube sealers just for this type of thing. It may work, it may not, but it's cheaper than another new tube. Just please, don't try fix a flat or similar! These aren't made for tubes and can make your problems worse very quickly!

If possible, pull the wheel off the bike, mark the location of everything (wheel to tire position), then dismount and remove the tube. Add air to the tube and locate the leak, then check the corresponding area of the tire for potential problems. While everything is apart, check your wheel band for proper placement and condition. If you have a question, replace it. Most are only a couple bucks...

This should get you started, hope all goes well!

BTW: Central Florida here, had to laugh at the "flatter than Florida" line!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To check the valve stem/core use good soapy water with the tire aired up. Just watch for bubbles. No bubbles, no leaks there.

I've had 4 flats on my 500 (also spoke rims/tubes), and every time it required replacing the tube. Too many nails where I work...

I'm willing to bet there is something that has probably poked a new hole in the tube. If it held air for 2 months and then suddenly went low, that's a telltale of a new problem. By the sound of it, it's a very small hole, so may be patchable in a way. There is the tube type Slime, and also another product called Ride-on that are tube sealers just for this type of thing. It may work, it may not, but it's cheaper than another new tube. Just please, don't try fix a flat or similar! These aren't made for tubes and can make your problems worse very quickly!

If possible, pull the wheel off the bike, mark the location of everything (wheel to tire position), then dismount and remove the tube. Add air to the tube and locate the leak, then check the corresponding area of the tire for potential problems. While everything is apart, check your wheel band for proper placement and condition. If you have a question, replace it. Most are only a couple bucks...

This should get you started, hope all goes well!

BTW: Central Florida here, had to laugh at the "flatter than Florida" line!
Thanks for the advice. I had the day off today but had errands to do, on the bike because it was a beautiful day. I checked the pressure in the tires this morning first thing and did the soapy water spray on the valve stem, no bubbles. The pressure didn't drop at all from yesterday. I ran my errands, looking at the tire at every stop, it looked normal. When I finished my running around I checked it again, it didn't drop at all. Weird. But anyway I bought a bottle of slime for tubes, just in case.

Glad you laughed at the "flatter than Florida" line, anyone who has spent any amount of time here knows its flat, especially south Florida where I live.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts