Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All: I have a new 900 Classic with Dunlop 404s and am less than positive about how they track on rain grooved interstate highways. I have a Ninja 650with Bridgestones and a Triumph with Metzlers that do fine. Any suggestions for great replacements. I've heard good comments about Pirelli Route 66s and Metzlers. Your comments are appreciated.
Steve
Denver

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have the route 66's and can verify that they were a huge improvement over the stockers. Both choices are good and will probably come down to personal preference and price.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Try 34 psi front and see if that helps the handling. I thought the Dunlops were junk too, but never tried higher pressure.

I replaced them at 8k with Pirelli 66's. All of the tracking problems disappeared with this tire. The field seems to be split between Metzlers 880 and Pirelli 66.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I'd guess you'd do fine with either the Pirellis or the Metz's. I got the Metzelers because I wanted whitewalls. Love em.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tires

Thanks everybody. I decided on the Metzlers and will have them installed this weekend. Will let you know what I think. BTW, I tried Dynabeads with the Dunlops and thought the improvement was marginal but some folks swear by them.
Steve

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Just so you know: unless you ride pretty aggresively, you might not notice a big difference between the Dunlops and the Metz's. I didn't. The biggest diiference was on un even surfaces like those roads with the grooves ground into them. Those were much better.

Also, as someone else pointed out to me, you'll be comparing brand new Metz's to old worn out Dunlops. Don't get me wrong, you'll like them. And when I get new tires it'll probably be the Metzelers again.

PS. Check the pressure when you get them. Some dealers like to under inflate tires.
http://www.us.metzelermoto.com/web/products/tire_pressures/default.page

·
Registered
39 Posts
With the stock tires, the dealer actually recommened I run a higher PSI...in the 40-42 range. I have to admit, the bike felt better and handled better. The dealer also says the tires will last longer...not sure bout that part but I do know that it handles a lot better with a higher PSI

1 - 7 of 7 Posts