Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 2012 vulcan 900 classic LT seems like it needs another gear. It's a 5 speed, but it wants to get into 5th gear at about 40mph. When I go faster, it just revs higher and higher and it seems like it needs another gear to shift into. Is this normal? Is there anything I can do? Maybe an adjustment or something?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Nope. It's a 900 CC motorcycle. The only way it can go fast is to rev fast.

·
BOTM Winner, June 2014, Premium Member
365 Posts
Many of us have installed aftermarket overdrive pulleys to reduce the higher revs at highway speeds. I have been happy with both Baron's overdrive pulleys. I find myself not trying the grab a sixth gear with the overdrive pulley.

·
Registered
11,754 Posts
Just want to be clear...are you saying that the engine revs up but the bike is not really going any faster?

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Just want to be clear...are you saying that the engine revs up but the bike is not really going any faster?
I didn't get that from his post at all. It sounds like he's just noticing that the 900 revs high at speed.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Yep higher revs is normal for this bike. Around 4500 for highway speeds whereas the big cruisers are probs around 3500. An overdrive gear would be welcome however as there's still plenty of pick-up in 5th.

·
Registered
11,754 Posts
I didn't get that from his post at all. It sounds like he's just noticing that the 900 revs high at speed.
Was not clear, at all, to me. It is never a bad thing to make sure we are on the same page. Sometimes it is the smallest of details in a post that can be a BIG clue, and they cannot be overlooked. Making assumptions on what the poster is trying to say can be a mistake.

That is why I asked.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Many of us have installed aftermarket overdrive pulleys to reduce the higher revs at highway speeds. I have been happy with both Baron's overdrive pulleys. I find myself not trying the grab a sixth gear with the overdrive pulley.
Is there really that big a difference ? 2extra teeth doesn't seem like that big a difference. Does it rob much power from the lower end ?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Your in 5th gear at 40 mph? Really? You are lugging the poor engine to death. These bikes like to run can't ride em like a Harley. I usually don't hit 5th till 70-75 then let her settle in.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Your in 5th gear at 40 mph? Really? You are lugging the poor engine to death. These bikes like to run can't ride em like a Harley. I usually don't hit 5th till 70-75 then let her settle in.
According to the owner's manual, you're supposed to shift into 5th at 31 MPH.

·
BOTM Winner, June 2014, Premium Member
365 Posts
Is there really that big a difference ? 2extra teeth doesn't seem like that big a difference. Does it rob much power from the lower end ?
It all depends on what you want. For me, 90% of my Riding is on the interstate at 75-80 mph. The pulleys bought down the revs and made cruising at highway speeds more comfortable. I did not notice any power loss at the lower end.

If you don't do much riding at 75-80 mph, I don't think the investment in the overdrive pulleys are worth it.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I been looking for 6th gear since the day I bought it. I have also been searching for 6th gear on my 2005 VTX 1300 for 10years. It's not the bike, it's us.

Btw Kawasakis are built to rev high.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I agree that the 900 could use a sixth gear, but most people saying that are saying it because they run 70mph+ for long times. How low do you want the RPM? Idle?

The engine is limited to 7200 RPM. Running 50mph in fourth gear is around 2300 RPM (from GearingCommander.com), a little less than a third of max RPM. You aren't going to hurt these engines by revving them up. It's what they do.

Go out the next time you ride and hit 50mph in second gear. It will do it, and it will probably make you smile. I always do.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts