Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 900 Classic lt bought new in 2014. Overall pretty happy with the bike. I,ve added my own add ons like luggage rack, amped speakers and led lights. Motor runs smooth and quiet but I think it should shift a bit smoother. I changed the oil at 1800 miles with Amsoil 10-40 full synthetic. Seemed to help a little but maybe I should take it in for warranty inspection. I know my 83 Nighthawk I just sold shifted much better. Anybody else have a shifting issue with their 900?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Some transmissions don't like the synthetic oil - beyond me to be able to explain why - do a google search you will see what I mean. I run dyno oil and never had a problem at 26,000 miles on my 09 LT

·
Registered
643 Posts
I had clunky shifting with my 900 custom last year around 4,000 miles. The clutch cable had stretched a little (normal part of break in). It looked Ok but in fact had about 1mm to much free play. A simple adjustment of the cable (there are 3 points where you can adjust) at the mid cable adjuster and problem solved. I also switched from Dino to synthetic oil on my 3rd oil change. Shifting is noticeable smoother with synthetic oil.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will try the adjustments..I have just over 3000 mi on bike. Wasn't real happy with 1-2 with 2-3 shifting.right from the start.Thought maybe hard shifting would ease with break in. Changed to full synth at 1800 miles. Only a small change.

·
Registered
729 Posts
1+ on adjusting the cable.
Motorcycle trans do not require much clutch disengauge time,if any for shifting.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I have the same issue, clunky shifting in my 14 classic lt. Where do you do the adjustments at?
At the lever
Mid cable
At the engine

Check owners manual for instructions. If you don't have the manual you can download from Kawi for free. Free play must not exceed what is stated in the manual. I had about 1mm too much free play and the clutch would not fully disengage the engine resulting in clunky shifting.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Make sure you lube the cables (all) at the proper time(s). The schedule in the the book is for IDEAL conditions. Dusty,wet,city driving, more often.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Some transmissions don't like the synthetic oil - beyond me to be able to explain why - do a google search you will see what I mean. I run dyno oil and never had a problem at 26,000 miles on my 09 LT
1+ on that
I have been Lucky, Dino or syn:)
With the Dino shifting gets a little stiff around 2K, with the syn no issues. I do change oil & filter around 3K anyway, it may be early but not that big of a deal for me.

·
Registered
46 Posts
My suggestion is to look at your footwear. Are you wearing a good stiff motorcycle boot. My last bike shifted like crap until I read about wearing a stiff boot. I got a pair of boots for $40 and that bike NEVER missed a shift again. I was blown away what a difference it made.

I also suggest you shift the bike "like a man". When I upshift, i make a point to do it swiftly and firmly which is made much easier by the above for-mentioned footwear. Good luck

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have an 07 that sometimes jumps out of first gear.
When you are in first gear, just put your foot on top of the shifter so it wont be allowed to pop up. It's only for 1st gear.

Also I noticed that my bike will slip out of 1st gear only when I am monkeying around with the neutral finder on a parked bike. So lets say I have it in gear, Im stopped so I just kick the gear up to N. Now I roll the bike out of the garage and start the bike. Next I kick it back down into 1st to pull out. These actions will sometimes pop it out of 1st gear.

So. to test this.

If I have the bike in 1st, never put it into N, I just hold the clutch and start it. Then I pull out, I never have 1st gear pop out.

So if I use the neutral finder feature of the bike (which I love) I just cover the shift in first to make sure it dont want pop out on me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for replies to all concerning rough shifting 1st to 2nd and 2nd to third on my 2013 classic LT. Adjusted the clutch cable at the handlebars before but this time also at midway point on cable. Noticeably smoother shifting now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts