Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, I'm new to the forum and new to the motorcycle world. I'm 52 years old and have never owned a motorcycle in my life. I have ridden them as a kid but that is it. I am looking at the Vulcan 900 Classic LT and would like any advice from you experienced riders about this as a starter bike. I'm looking to make some trips one day but just want to destress on the weekends. Thanks for the help.

Larry from Tennessee.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hey Guys, I'm new to the forum and new to the motorcycle world. I'm 52 years old and have never owned a motorcycle in my life. I have ridden them as a kid but that is it. I am looking at the Vulcan 900 Classic LT and would like any advice from you experienced riders about this as a starter bike. I'm looking to make some trips one day but just want to destress on the weekends. Thanks for the help.

Larry from Tennessee.

It's a perfect starter bike that you will not grow out of in 6 months.

Great choice!

·
Registered
264 Posts
I would stress taking the Motor Cycle Safety Course, if you can try some bike rides at the local dealers this spring, but I don't think it would be too much as long as you took it easy to start, till you got your legs under you. of course this is taking into consideration, that you are large (size/strength) enough to handle the bike.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I am 56 and bought a 900 Classic LT last year. I had a bike when I was in my 20s, but had not ridden since. The 900 is a great bike, you will be pleased with.

To refresh my skills, I took an MSF safety class and they sure taught this old dog some new tricks. Well worth the time and minimal cost. An added advantage is that the class administered the test needed to get my license.

The 900 felt pretty big at first. but as you ride and get accustomed this passes. You are correct, this is a great way to unwind..

and, don't be this guy :

http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/kawasaki-cruisers/125507-sad-day.html

·
Registered
76 Posts
Started riding at 55. Had not been on a bike since small dirt bikes as a teenager. Took the MSF which was harder than expected and learned a lot. At 6'2" 220lbs I had more trouble with small size than anything else as the class was using Honda 250's but still good. I took the extra step of riding a used 250 Virago around town for several months before moving up. It was smaller than I wanted but a neighbor had it for basically what I could resell it for after some use. Made several mistakes that might have laid down a bigger bike but a long inseam can correct a lot of low speed errors on a 250. I now have a 900LT and the bike really felt big when I first got it. Me personally I think the Vulcan would have been too large to start on. The Vulcan 500 would have been about perfect but would have outgrown it eventually.

Bought my current Vulcan from Sloan's up your way. They are a good shop to deal with.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I don't think the 900 is necessarily too large a bike to start out with, and like Hendog said, you won't grow out of it in six months. Having said that, it is a bigger bike than most folks start out with simply because many start riding as kids and can't afford a bigger bike at first.

I would also strongly suggest taking a motorcycle safety course for multiple reasons. The two main ones being they will give you a small bike to take the course on thereby giving you a little experience before jumping on the 900 on the road, and it's an excellent safety course. Pay attention to what they tell you. Cars really don't see you on a bike and if you're not defensive, you're dead.

Welcome to the motorcycling experience. Once it's in your blood, you're a biker for life. Enjoy, you've picked an outstanding motorcycle.

·
Registered
98 Posts
63 and just starting riding again after decades of absence. Bought 900 classic LT a couple years ago. No problem. Sometimes wish I had bigger bike but always come back with the thought that this is ideal size easy and fast to maneuver, looks like the bigger ones, priced right and great gas mileage. My normal rides are 200-300 per trip. You'll love it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Larry,
I'm 26, 5' 10" and a huge 165lbs and I just purchased my Vulcan 900. I've never owned a road bike before. I did spend some time riding dirt bikes and maybe that helped with my learning curve. I don't feel this bike is too big for me but I would suggest taking it easy and like others have mentioned an MSF course would be a good start.

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts

Larry from Tennessee.
Welcome to the motorcycle world Larry! As a more "seasoned" rider( been legally riding since 1971) I strongly suggest the advice of others be followed. A MSF course, if nothing else to make you aware of the things you already take for granted. I know hundreds of people who did either a beginners or advanced course and only one of those people say they do not feel the better rider or cage driver for it. It will also make you more aware of little things while in your car/truck driving along on familiar ground.

·
Registered
15 Posts

Larry from Tennessee.
I'm 58 and 5'10 280. And I have had one for 2.5 years after not riding for about 20 years. It has plenty of power, even for me, with some to spare. I ride on the freeways at 75 all the time, and it handles perfectly in twisties (for a cruiser). I can't seem to stay off it, and I'm about ready for something bigger, which is normal, I guess. The 900 is the perfect size bike for all around use, although it might be a touch heavy for you at first, but you'll get used to it. I strongly agree with others about the state motorcycle safety classes. It could save your life someday.

(by the way, I live in the Pacific Northwest and have a daughter in Murfreesboro. Didn't think anyone knew what a Murfreesboro was! :)

·
Registered
451 Posts
When at the age of 56, I bought my first road bike after a 30 year hiatus from dirt bikes, I bought a 2006 C50. I wound up adding saddle bags and windshield, and an overdrive final drive, but the engine vibration and wind buffeting was still quite unpleasant at freeway speeds. In other words, I'd outgrown the bike. I'd been thinking I might like to do weekend tours, and would need to add a sissy bar and luggage rack to lash luggage to.

Last summer fate delivered a 2007 VN900LT with 3K on it, that already had highway bars and luggage rack added.

There is absolutely no comparison between the C50 and the VN900. More torque, less engine busy-ness, and the big windshield did a much better job with the wind buffeting. Since then I've added pull-back risers, 'cause I got short arms, Iso-grips, just 'cause I like 'em, and OEM lowers, just because.

Since I bought the C50 in '06, Suzuki's raised the price, so it doesn't have the price advantage it did in '06.

Buy the 900LT. Physically, it's the same size and weight as a C50, but a much more comfortable road bike, that handles nicely in town.

You won't be sorry. Shop hard, including eBay. Last year's models are cheap cheap cheap.

·
Registered
9 Posts
great beginners bike

i'm 30 and the vulcan custom it's my first bike. is easy to handle, great looking, and i think it has enough power, you're going to have a lot of fun with it

·
Registered
424 Posts
Welcome, you have just made a very expensive choice, but you will never stop smiling.

Please, Please, do the MSF course, ASAP do not pass go, and do not make excuses, the penality could be a very bad day.

OMG there are a lot of C. O. B. B. 's on this site, (if you don't know, ask privately),

57 here 5' 10" 150 wet, had my license since i was 14, (do the math), and started back up in 2006.

The VN900 is the perfect bike for me IMHO, lite, ninble, powerful enough to be a blast, and the perfect "bang for the buck".

Remember "You will never see a Motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist office unless the DOC rides it"

·
Registered
146 Posts
53 yo female. I have a 09 Vulcan 900 classic (first bike). I knew it was right for me the minute I sat on it. It is not too heavy and handles great. In Georgia, the MSF course is $250.00. It was worth every penny! You'll love the 900! I love my bike!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Great first bike

45 yr old. 6' 218 lbs. New to motorcycling last year. Took the safety course and went shopping for my first bike. Found a 2006 vulcan classic and knew that was the bike. Felt big at first but took my time and now I know I made the right choice. Can go on the freeway, ride two up or just cruise around town. I think for me, it was a great first bike that I will have for a long time

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm 5' 10" and 168 pounds. My first bike was a 1950 BSA 500 Twin about 55 years ago. In the late 70's I had a Honda 750 which seemed really big and heavy at first but you grow into it. I sold it aafter a few years because of too many close calls from careless drivers. I bought a Kawa 1995 750 four years ago and really enjoyed it but never really did any lengthy traveling. Last year I decided I wanted to ride more and took the training course offered in Michigan. My thoughts were to learn how to lay the bike down if necessary. After spending a ten hour day with the instructor, I not only learned so much that I didn't really know, he said after 30 years of riding he never saw laying the bike down as the most prudent action. I really want to urge you to take the safety course! Us old dogs really can learn new tricks. As far as the 900 goes, it is a little bigger and heavier than the last bike but it only took about five miles to grow into it. I had to drive it home 150 miles when I bought it. It handles better than the 750 which I thought was very good. The big tank is a real plus. It is not a rocket but it will go faster than anyone should regularly go. Good luck and don't forget the safety course.

·
Registered
15 Posts
vulcan 900 classic lt

It may be time for me to get something bigger, maybe a 1700 Nomad or Voyager. I have a 2007 900 Classic LT I may be selling. It's got under 18,000 miles on it, it's an 07. It's the red and titanium color, has a newer gel seat, engine guard, Light bar, etc. Looks almost new, is very sharp. I get tons of compliments even two 1/2 years old. What should I ask for it? What are people paying for used vulcan classic lts? It's a lot of miles but it's really hard to stay off these things!- Has anyone been in the same spot? Happy with the nomad or voyager?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm 60 years old, 6'0" 230 lbs. Rode off road up til my late 40's with my kids.Took the MSC and bought a new 900 Classic LT last April. Love the bike. Has everything I wanted to start with for extras except a light bar and crash bar which I've added. Seat could be more comfortable for long rides. That is next.
Plenty big to start with if you are strong enough to maneuver it from a stop/backing up etc. Has good balance and is fairly nimble on the road. My son is getting a 1999 1500 Drifter and he is starting out like us. I will ride the drifter and let him use my 900 until he gets on road experience.

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
I started with a 800 used Intruder and then went to a 750 Honda. I just finally made the step up to the 900 Classic, and wish I had done so after the Intruder. It is a tad bigger than the 750, but for Hwy riding, which is just about everywhere I need to go, it can't be beat. I usually get 180 miles before the red light comes on, so the rides down into Arkansas on the backroads don't scare me anymore about running out of gas. Getting about 48 to 51 miles to the gallon on average, and couln't be more pleased with my purchase. Found a used Kow (2008) with only 2300 miles from a divorce, for $4900, so I feel that I got a pretty good deal, and a great upgrade from the Honda, (although the Honda Spirit was a great bike for backroad riding............IMHO

1 - 20 of 21 Posts