Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 vulcan 900 classic Lt and don’t think the brakes are as good as I would like. Was wondering if it’s possible to add a second rotor and brakes on the front. Anybody got any ideas?

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
When was the last time the fluids were changed, and was a good, high boiling fluid used? Has the master cylinder been cleaned and all the rubber parts replaced in the MC and the calipers? Are the brake lines getting old and weak? Sometimes brake lines will last for many years, but old brake lines can get soft and expand under pressure, reducing the force applied to the pads. You might want to change out the brake lines, even going with steel braided lines. If the brakes have not been properly maintained, you might find that they work really well once these items have been addressed.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My 900 has Harley Forks and Duel Disks, there a picture on the Pic forum above page 190, it certainly make a difference to brake repeatability, I can brake hard without any fade, ridding in a country with no speed limits I don't do 65Mph cruising. I'm not sure it make a huge difference to stopping distance if your brakes are in good condition, my experience it that the limit on stopping distance I front end grip.
As some one who races alight weight (lotus7) car I'm also concerned that the un-sprung weight is increased, and this effects handling, I don't push the 900 enough to get to the handling limit, but from the car I do know its an issue to think about.
Its not cheap to do, mine was done by the first Owner.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Agree with Berw. The main problem is finding a dual disk hub and right side fork that will accept a caliper. The only practical way to do this is to swap the front end from another bike that has dual disks and 41 mm forks. Expensive and might require some custom machine work. As Berw said, who's bike was modified this way, it could effect handling.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Serviced front brake just over a year ago and it is better. I’m sure changing the brake lines would be a big help. Just bought new rear pads but haven’t changed out yet. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply’s. Changing bikes seems to be the cheapest and most sensible way but that’s not happening any time soon so just have to live with it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The limiting factor on braking should be the front wheel grip, can you lock the front wheel in the dry? If yes then extra disk will make no difference, if no service the brakes.
The guy who changed my bike, (who was a mate), just didn't like the single brake, he was changing from a Vn750 which had 2 disk. he had Harley forks fitted when bike was 6 weeks old.
I have to be carful in the wet, I can lock the front end very easy.
I'm an ex sport bike man, changed to the Vulcan with old age, if your unhappy with the brake sit or lean further forward. so you load the front wheel.
What duel brakes will do is stop fad if you are braking repeatedly from high speed, which I do a lot, as I live in a country with no speed limit,
My bike also has steel brake pipes.
My bike has had to much money spent on it for me to change it now. I know I that the cost of adding the duel brake conversion did not transfer into a higher price when I bought the bike, so I didn't pay for the conversion.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I installed new SS lines and SBS brake pads on both front and back. Rebuilt Caliper and Master. Big improvement over stock.
Sometimes pads get glazed, sand the pads with 220 grit. Helps if your on a budget.

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Locking the front wheel would be my fear with dual front brakes, especially on a bike no heavier than a 900.

Reactions: Tourer

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
First of all the vulcan 900 classic LT is not that light at well over 600 lbs alone. With myself (210 lbs) and my wife (130lbs) now your close to 1000 lbs without any luggage. Definatly not lite. There are a lot of 900cc and larger bikes that are several hundred pounds lighter and with a lot more horsepower that have dual front brakes. I really don’t see the weight being the issue. Riding skill,yes, weight, no. The vulcan 900 brakes are adequate at best but I personally don’t like to settle for adequate when my life depends on it. Plus I just think it looks better with two brakes. 😂

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
I consider the VN900 to be a medium weight bike. I consider a bike like a Voyager to be a heavy bike (nearly 900 lbs curb weight). I had a Honda Sabre 1100. Like the 900s it was over 600 lbs curb weight and I consider it to be a medium weight bike. I weighed 260 lbs back then and I also loaded it up with cargo and pulled a trailer with a gross weight of 375 - 400 lbs. Yes, the Sabre may have had better brakes than the 900. All I'm suggesting is that replacing the brake lines or even upgrading them to braided steel lines may provide the stopping power you feel you need. Especially since you say you can't afford to buy a new bike now, and converting to dual brakes would be quite a bit more expensive than new lines would be. It's your bike. Do what you think is best.

·
Registered
2020 VN900D Classic LT
139 Posts
There are lighter bikes with dual front disks.. The Kawasaki H2 is 476 Lbs and it has duals. (Of course the fact that it can go 186 MPH might make the dual disks something to appreciate). :)

On the 900, I think anti-skid would be a better option than dual disks..

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
There are lighter bikes with dual front disks.. The Kawasaki H2 is 476 Lbs and it has duals. (Of course the fact that it can go 186 MPH might make the dual disks something to appreciate). :)

On the 900, I think anti-skid would be a better option than dual disks..
The H2 brakes are also radial not axial which allows for better and more precise control.

·
Registered
84 Posts
My 900 has Harley Forks and Duel Disks, there a picture on the Pic forum above page 190, it certainly make a difference to brake repeatability, I can brake hard without any fade, ridding in a country with no speed limits I don't do 65Mph cruising. I'm not sure it make a huge difference to stopping distance if your brakes are in good condition, my experience it that the limit on stopping distance I front end grip.
As some one who races alight weight (lotus7) car I'm also concerned that the un-sprung weight is increased, and this effects handling, I don't push the 900 enough to get to the handling limit, but from the car I do know its an issue to think about.
Its not cheap to do, mine was done by the first Owner.
WTF? Is English your first language?

·
Registered
84 Posts
C'mon. Y'all are telling me you can't lock up the front with the stock front brake? I rode the thing for 12 years and never had a problem stopping it within the limits of the bike and weather.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
WTF? Is English your first language?
I can't speak for Berw, but there are quite a few people on this forum whose first language isn't English. And a whole bunch more who's first language is Texting. That said, I'd love to see those dueling discs. Sounds like a good time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts