Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a 900 classic set up for touring? I kinda just thinking out loud, but I'm considering setting the 900 up for touring. Why? Especially when I have a bigger(well, once it gets back from getting fixed:p)bike? One reason is that I can't bring myself to do that to my meanstreak, to me it's more of a hotrod and putting a shield and bags, etc on it just aint right. I know the 900 is perfectly capable, ours has done several long rides and it's not a problem. If you have a 900 and use it for touring, what is your set up? What do have that you would consider essential? So far on my list is a shield of some sort, after several rides with a shield on the 900 I'm really starting to like it, just wish it was taller. Lowers are on the list, along with a seat, good comfy backrest for my wife, bag brackets(already got saddlebags), luggage rack(already got a sissybar bag), crash bars, crash bar chaps, highway pegs, cruise control of some sort and possibly GPS. I'd really to put a batwing on it and make it a bagger:D I think 900 classic's look kickass like that.

·
Registered
128 Posts
i agree with you the meanstreak is more of a hot rod type i have a o9 900se i love the bike for just cruising around i dont think a 900 has enough motor to use it for touring .maybe some one can chime in that has a 900 set up for touring.but thats just me .

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the 900 has enough power(actually more than enough)for the type of touring my wife and I will be doing, mainly backroads where speed limits rarely(if ever)get above 65mph and I avoid the superslab, we're in no hurry, just cruising. Now if we were to be doing alot of miles on the 'slab, running 80 and up most of the time, a bigger bike would definitely handle it better. Unfortunately, with the way things are economically, there's no way I'll be able to get a new bike for at least 3 years, so I'm thinking that decking out the 9 for 2-up laid back touring and making my MS purely a hotrod would be the best option.

·
Registered
128 Posts
yeah true i notice where you live i live around houston texas area ill ride now and then on freeway 70 to 75 mph and ill almost get run over ill go back roads and im fine. hope you heal up fast .got a call couple of hours ago a fellow that used to work with us just got hit on his 900 vulcan.a young man ran a stop sign hit my buddy on his rear wheel could not keep the bike up he went down . lucky he had full coverage helmet on he broke 4 ribs .some road rash hes sore but ok he usually wears a half hemet but it was cool this morning so he put full coverage on . alot of damage to the helmet. he also works for kawasaki dealership .ill keep yall updated

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dude, that sux! Let your friend know we're thinking about him.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I tour mostly on the back roads, but I also frequently hit the interstates. I routinely hit 66 to get me west quickly. My 900 handles it well, at 70-75 it settles into a nice little groove..

·
Registered
117 Posts
VN900 Classic For Touring

Does anyone have a 900 classic set up for touring? I kinda just thinking out loud, but I'm considering setting the 900 up for touring. Why? Especially when I have a bigger(well, once it gets back from getting fixed:p)bike? One reason is that I can't bring myself to do that to my meanstreak, to me it's more of a hotrod and putting a shield and bags, etc on it just aint right. I know the 900 is perfectly capable, ours has done several long rides and it's not a problem. If you have a 900 and use it for touring, what is your set up? What do have that you would consider essential? So far on my list is a shield of some sort, after several rides with a shield on the 900 I'm really starting to like it, just wish it was taller. Lowers are on the list, along with a seat, good comfy backrest for my wife, bag brackets(already got saddlebags), luggage rack(already got a sissybar bag), crash bars, crash bar chaps, highway pegs, cruise control of some sort and possibly GPS. I'd really to put a batwing on it and make it a bagger:D I think 900 classic's look kickass like that.
My wife and I ride a lot local, evenings, short drives and almost monthly take a 2-400 mile ride with one or two night stay over. We have set up our 900 classic for long hauls starting in '08 with a trip to Yellowstone, 10 days of gear and clothing for warm and cold weather, personals, tents, bed rolls, and 60# gear in T-Bag. We now have a trunk replacing the luggage rack and T-Bag and larger hard leather side boxes. Have a look at my entry for BOTM and links to photobucket for older and newer pics of bike. Recently took an 800 mile trip to North Shore Lake Superior with friends, fully loaded and pulling a trailer with 2 coolers of food and drink, 2 suit cases, leathers, rain gear, and yes, the BUNN coffee maker for use in the cabin. Fully loaded, 2 up, pulling a trailer and cruising the freeway north at 70mph was not a problem for the 900. I had considered the modification to the front pulley to give it longer legs, but the way we drive and load, 70 is fast enough and the low end power curve is just right for loads, 2 up and pulling a trailer. The 900 is perhaps one of the most versatile bikes and is very amenable to upgrades and add-ons to make it a very comfortable cruiser/tour bike. Passenger floorboards are must for passenger to eliminate lower leg stress and tension on long rides, my wife loves them. Also the first upgrade I made for long hauls was a different seat, chose the KAW Gel seat, no complaints from her the entire trip to Yellowstone and back. Mustangs are considerably more $ but surely a step above the Gel seat. Decent sized boxes and luggage rack with "T" or a hard box makes the trip so much nicer. Since we have the room we travel heavy taking more than we need, oh well. I do inflate both tires to 40 psi, with the front now needing replacement at 16,800 miles and the rear with 9,000 miles on it. All pics can be seen on photobucket site except trailer, I'll post here (total cost of trailer-$250)!

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Slick set up Waterboy! How do you like the trunk and how does your wife like it as a backrest? I'm going back and forth between trunk or sissybar with t-bag, although after my crash my t-bag isn't in very good shape:p

·
Registered
117 Posts
Slick set up Waterboy! How do you like the trunk and how does your wife like it as a backrest? I'm going back and forth between trunk or sissybar with t-bag, although after my crash my t-bag isn't in very good shape:p
She loves it, way more comfortable and keeps her centered with bike compared to backrest and makes controlling bike easier for me-safer in the long run. Access to needed items is quick, we can put 3 days worth of clothes in trunk plus rain gear is handy,personals and extra footwear and leathers in side boxes. I've got new side plates lasered so I can lower it 2" to improve fit for her and lower center of gravity, but I still miss my nice luggage rack but I can switch em out with just 4 bolts.

·
Registered
397 Posts
That's a really cool set up, Waterboy. What exactly kind of trunk did you use, and does the passenger wrap-around seat back come with it? My wife would just love such a thing on there. I'd like to eventually find something like that for next summer, if it were something I could put on and off without too much hassle. She doesn't ride with me during the late season like today, but in the truly warm months, if I could bolt on that seat rest for her, it would be something we could use.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Tour Pak Luggage Trunk For 900

That's a really cool set up, Waterboy. What exactly kind of trunk did you use, and does the passenger wrap-around seat back come with it? My wife would just love such a thing on there. I'd like to eventually find something like that for next summer, if it were something I could put on and off without too much hassle. She doesn't ride with me during the late season like today, but in the truly warm months, if I could bolt on that seat rest for her, it would be something we could use.
It's a used Harley Davidson King Tour Pak I got bare bones for $200, added the backrest pad new for $129 and trunk rack for $99; used set ups like this can run up to $600! I wanted an old voyager trunk for nostalgic reasons, couldn't find any at the time. This one is wired for running and brake lights, mounted securely to removable plate. I can switch it out and have my rack back on in 15 min with removal of 4 bolts. Would you like some closeup pics?

·
Registered
397 Posts
It's a used Harley Davidson King Tour Pak... Would you like some closeup pics?
Cool idea. I don't think it's a project I'm going to start anytime soon to be honest... so I don't need close-ups right away—but, if you happen to have some pics already taken and on your photobucket page I would sure take a look at them. Otherwise I might take a rain-check on those pics if and when I decide to try this mod next year (gotta get those lowers put on there first!).

I almost couldn't believe how much you two were able to tote along to Yellowstone like that. Speaks well of the strength of the 900 mill to handle that load on a road trip, even up into the mtns. And you even had room for the BUNN coffee maker. That's my kind of travellin'! :D

·
Registered
137 Posts
Not that's what I'm talking about

We got the Vulcan to do just that. Tour. I have plans...boy do I have plans....Change seat, then pass. floorbards...then trunk...etc..Waterboy, you have just beat me to the punch. And I love your trailer.

T

·
Registered
117 Posts
Motorcycle Trailer For Cruizin'

We got the Vulcan to do just that. Tour. I have plans...boy do I have plans....Change seat, then pass. floorbards...then trunk...etc..Waterboy, you have just beat me to the punch. And I love your trailer.
T
Thanks "T", the original trailer was a "Sears" with a much larger body, I got it for $200 and after buying a used but great condition car-top carrier, cut the frame down to fit. Not fancy but very affordable and roomy for first effort, I needed the frame anyway to build on to make my own custom trailer. Thought the shape of the old style "tear-drop" camper would look good with storage in top half, hinged, and in bottom. Thought about making a tent like sleeper when open, with all my spare time right!! Take Care

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hey KsVn900,

I just ran to Sturgis from Indianapolis, IN this year on my 900 classic and it was great. My buddy I went with has a Honda VTX 1300 and the 900 kept up without a strain. The best part was, I got better mileage then him so I never had to worry about getting low on gas. Granted, we were both only 1-up, but it was a perfect bike regardless. The only gear I got for the trip were a windshield, highway bar and pegs, a Mustang seat, and saddlebags. The rest got jammed into waterproof bags on bungee'd behind me. The gear actually made for a nice backrest. Regardless, I don't think you will have any issues going touring on the 900. My bike was stripped down compared to Waterboy's and I loved it the whole way.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2008 900 set up for touring. Mustang seat with back rest, hard bags, truck, engine guard, passenger floorboards, and extra pretty dress up stuff. It does very well but I'm looking to up grade so if you know any one looking for one send them my way, thanks Donovan

·
Registered
6 Posts
I use my 900 Classic LT for touring. Already has windshield and saddle bags. Only additions so far are crash bar, pegs, lower and louder horn. I don't carry anyone and the bag I use on trips sits on the back seat attached to the sissy bar-it makes a nice backrest. The stock LT seat works good for me. With the pegs and bag behind my back I can shift around on a regular basis and stay comfortable. Rode about 2000 miles last May over 10 days-Florida to North Carolina and lots of mountain riding-never saw under 45 mpg, closer to 50 as a rule. Speed was never a problem, rode back roads all the way-no interstate-but could still easily cruise 70-75 if I wanted to.

·
Registered
137 Posts
My bike's transformation has begun. Just got my Mustang seat (WONDERFUL) and passenger floorboards ($41 off ebay..look new). Now the luggage rack and trunk....will see how things go.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Waterboy's trunk

That's a really cool set up, Waterboy. What exactly kind of trunk did you use, and does the passenger wrap-around seat back come with it?
I'd like to know as well, Waterboy. That is a VERY nice arrangement and I'd like to do the same with my LT, if possible. I'd feel safer with my grandkids on the back if there were something more than just the sissy bar back rest.

Thanks!

bc

1 - 20 of 25 Posts