Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone removed the spacer from the bottom of the battery box and replace their ***12-BS with the taller and more powerful ***14-BS?

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
for what need .... 5 years on the stocker and mine is still running fine.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The difference is about 20 more cca"s. I have the original battery in my 07 and it is doing fine also. Just thinking having more cca's couldn't hurt, that's all......

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
20 CCA isn't going to make a bit of difference in the long haul. The bike doesn't need to use the minimal extra power, considering it probably takes less than 100 amps to start it anyway. The xx14-BS will offer a negligible increase in reserve capacity or amp hours. It will not hold its charge any longer when left to sit. The xx12-BS is guaranteed both to FIT and meet the specs for the bike. Not really any sense in getting creative, there, if you ask me.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
20 CCA isn't going to make a bit of difference in the long haul. The bike doesn't need to use the minimal extra power, considering it probably takes less than 100 amps to start it anyway. The xx14-BS will offer a negligible increase in reserve capacity or amp hours. It will not hold its charge any longer when left to sit. The xx12-BS is guaranteed both to FIT and meet the specs for the bike. Not really any sense in getting creative, there, if you ask me.
A valid argument.... My original 2007 battery seems to be doing fine.
I do see the 14-BS was the standard battery in the 800 and the battery box on the 9 is probably the 800's with the spacer added...

·
Registered
357 Posts
could be. the 9's are more efficient and improved upon over the 8 so maybe they realized a lesser battery was good enough for it? idk, just speculatin' here :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
How big is the spacer? I had to remove the tool kit and put a Gorilla alarm in its place. If there's still room for the tool kit after removing a spacer, I'd love to keep it back under the seat rather than in a saddlebag.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I'll have to second those notions. What will that 'more power' get you? The 12-BS has more than enough power to crank the engine. If left to sit and sulfate, the 14-BS will be ruined just as quickly. If kept on a tender or ridden frequently, either battery will deliver the same performance.

You use very little of your starter battery. They are not meant to be discharged or used for their capacity. You just 'skim a little off the top'. It's by design, because batteries designed to actually power things (like a cellphone battery or even a deep-cycle battery) would be ruined doing the kind of work a starter battery does; that is- never being discharged and having a very high power demand momentarily. In fact, lithium and nickel batteries require periodic discharge to stay working longer, but lead-acid batteries can be DAMAGED by being discharged!

Anyway, point is, I don't think you'll get anything. You shouldn't be using the capacity of the battery, it should always remain charged. The extra CCA won't benefit you, because the bikes electrical system is more than capable of starting it in any conditions with the CCA of the stock battery.

Just my $0.02. My 2006 Vulcan had the stock battery in it until the end of last year. Ridden year round, though more sporadically in the winter. Battery kept on a tender when not ridden for more than a few days. As long as they aren't allowed to drop below 12.4v they should last you a long long time!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts