Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading some old reviews and articles on the 900 custom and found it was used in women's cruiser comparison.I got that same junk when i owned a 1200 sportster.perhaps 900 cc's and 600 pounds is for girls, but my bike seems manly enough for me.Sure its no big twin, but it certainly isnt a bike better suited for ladies than men.Those references irritate me.

·
Registered
702 Posts
When the wife is at work, I sometimes use her 900 vs my V2K to go run the mountain twisties, as it's MUCH lighter to toss around. While a lot of women DO choose the VN 900, I have NO problem being seen on it, except for that pink license plate frame with the name "Barbara." So far, no guys have tried hitting on me. Yet.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I've owned a BUNCH of "girls" bikes, to me, they're just more fun to ride. I don't let my ego get the best of me and ride what I want to ride.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Girl's bike???. There is no such thing. There are only bikes. We had a lady follower on the forum with a V2K. Does that mean we all have girl's bikes? But hey I am also raising a daughter that likes to wear her princess dresses in her sandbox while playing with her tonka toys. :D

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
Don't care for sexism, just shows the stupidity of the author. My daughter's favorite firearm is the 45 ACP I carry on my hip. I told her when I die, she can have it ... maybe. If you want to start a fight, just tell her she needs to carry a "girlie gun" and get ready for an a$$-whoopin. She also likes driving my Ford F-250. Come to think of it, she likes pretty much all my toys ... I might have to watch what that special "seasoning" is she is putting in my food. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A point or two I would like to make: what defines girls bike and man's bike.Mt most recent bikes were 96 goldwing,harley ultra and just before this bike a valkyrie.Those are man's bikes i suppose.it seems that if a bike has a big motor, and is very large or very large and powerful, ts a man's bike.or perhaps beyond a certain amount of cc's, say anything over 1100 is a man's bike,etc.it seems only cruiser guys have this mentality or hangup.I personally don't have it.Last year i saw a girl that couldnt have weighed over 125 riding a harley ultra. And she was cute too,feminine looking, no burley woman with a crewcut.

So itbothers me when a major magazine calls the 900 class of bikes women's cruisers.That part i havent figured out.I think I am afraid if I ride what is considered a "woman's " bike someone might think I am some sort of girlie man. I guess you make of it what you wish.I wonder when they will have a guy's bikes comparison test.I think when bagger v twins are tested one must assume those are men's bikes.I ride the vulcan because i like it, it looks great, runs great, and being 64 i was tired of riding all those behemoth bikes.I think my blacked out vulcan is too cool for someone my age, but its MY bike.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't care for sexism, just shows the stupidity of the author. My daughter's favorite firearm is the 45 ACP I carry on my hip. I told her when I die, she can have it ... maybe. If you want to start a fight, just tell her she needs to carry a "girlie gun" and get ready for an a$$-whoopin. She also likes driving my Ford F-250. Come to think of it, she likes pretty much all my toys ... I might have to watch what that special "seasoning" is she is putting in my food. :rolleyes:
Your daughter is very cool indeed,if you dont mind me saying so.I mean no offense.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
First; I want to say that the 900 is a great bike, whether you're a guy or a girl.
Next, I view women as equals! Different but equal.

That being said.
Women are different!
They are chemically different which affects their thought patterns and reactions to emotional stimulus.
They are physically different (MANY THANKS BE TO GOD :D). Women have longer legs, shorter arms and lower muscle mass.
Women are mechanically different. Their bodies don't metabolize alcohol as quickly as men and their muscles don't utilize oxygen as quickly as men.

By no means does that mean men are better.
If one subscribes to the belief that men are superior because they larger and stronger; then it must follow, that every man that is bigger and stronger than themself is superior to them.

With that, I think we do a disservice to our sons and daughters by forcing a one size fits all mandate between the sexes.

I always like hearing the people that get worked up when they hear someone say that a man makes a better firefighter agree whole heavyhearted with the idea of a man being a better fashion designer.

Why is it sexist to say a man is better at a strength related activity but it's PC to say a man is better at a gender bending activity.:confused:

:)Can you tell I have a son?:)

Anyway; I don't think the 900 is a girls bike.
But, I don't see anything wrong with designing a "Womens bike" or a "Girls gun".
I don't believe we should restrict access to anyone, but providing an option isn't a bad thing.

Scott

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
First; I want to say that the 900 is a great bike, whether you're a guy or a girl.
Next, I view women as equals! Different but equal.

That being said.
Women are different!
They are chemically different which affects their thought patterns and reactions to emotional stimulus.
They are physically different (MANY THANKS BE TO GOD :D). Women have longer legs, shorter arms and lower muscle mass.
Women are mechanically different. Their bodies don't metabolize alcohol as quickly as men and their muscles don't utilize oxygen as quickly as men.

By no means does that mean men are better.
If one subscribes to the belief that men are superior because they larger and stronger; then it must follow, that every man that is bigger and stronger than themself is superior to them.

With that, I think we do a disservice to our sons and daughters by forcing a one size fits all mandate between the sexes.

I always like hearing the people that get worked up when they hear someone say that a man makes a better firefighter agree whole heavyhearted with the idea of a man being a better fashion designer.

Why is it sexist to say a man is better at a strength related activity but it's PC to say a man is better at a gender bending activity.:confused:

:)Can you tell I have a son?:)

Anyway; I don't think the 900 is a girls bike.
But, I don't see anything wrong with designing a "Womens bike" or a "Girls gun".
I don't believe we should restrict access to anyone, but providing an option isn't a bad thing.

Scott
You nailed it. That is how I feel. Just could not get it in to the words I wanted. It's not a question of a Man's bike or a lady's bike but how the bike fits the person's needs.

·
Registered
372 Posts
So the author(s) of the article(s) had a bad childhood with a mother diagnosed or not diagnosed with borderline personality disorder. So now as a good sociopath he puts his opinion out there to make up for his mother's and his upbringing's faults. If my Vulcan 900 Classic is a girl's bike, what exactly would be a man's bike? When the girls swoon as I ride by on my bike I always assumed it was a combination of me and my manly bike they were swooning over. Now I find out they were just swooning over my bike.

My .243 might be a girl's rifle, but it has certainly been convincing to each deer and the buffalo it has killed in one shot.

Actually, journalism being what it is these days, maybe the illiterate fool was only trying to say a 900 is a good bike for girls. I can't comment, I have not let my daughter ride mine yet, although I have been thinking she should try it out.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Perhaps those who contend strenuously that a bike like a Sportster or a 900 Vulcan is a girl's bike have doubts about their own masculinity.

My wife has owned a Yamaha VStar 1100 Custom, Honda Nighthawk 750, BMW R1150RT, Honda ST1300, and a GL1800 Gold Wing. I certainly wouldn't categorize any of those as being a "girl's bike." She now rides a 900 Classic LT because her rheumatoid arthritis made dealing with the weight of the Gold Wing too difficult for her. And she ain't no girlie rider, either.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Yikes! You must be reading an article that was printed before the womens movment lmao.

You have to feel sorry for guys like that cause they are so small minded. if he is married I feel sorry for his wife

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
Your daughter is very cool indeed,if you dont mind me saying so.I mean no offense.
Not at all! She was raised an Army brat, taught that she had to fend for herself, that she can do anything she sets her mind to, and to never be dependent on anyone other than family. I'm a PROUD pappa!

·
Registered
270 Posts
those that call the 900 a girls bike is just like those that have a 4x4 with big mud tires and never gets dirty...they must be a little short on their MANHOOD

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Scott nailed it, there are differences, and exceptions to the rule!

A taller/stronger woman who wants to ride a full size bike, isn't likely going to search for 'girl bikes' are they?

As it turns out- my wife is a girl! And she's smaller than most men. At 5 foot even, 100 lbs, she needs a smaller, lighter, shorter bike. The 900 is too big for her though, she went with the 750 Shadow Aero.

Point is everyone is different. But I'm not offended if someone thinks the 900 is a good bike for girls... 'cuz it's a good bike for ME and that's why I bought it. But women ARE built differently and tend to be thinner and shorter than men. Not always, but tend to be. So sometimes women (like my wife) appreciate a womans perspective on things like that.

On the 'girl guns' that were mentioned. Most women wear tighter fitting clothes than most men. Often when I see reviews for guns mentioned as good 'girl guns' it's not because they are small and dainty, but because they are thin and light and easier to conceal under tighter clothing (like a single stack 9mm vs a large dual stack .45) My wife, for example, can't exactly wear a baggy sweatshirt to work. And given her stature she would be really strange looking (perhaps even unprofessional looking) in baggier clothes. Is that injustice? I dunno maybe, but it's just the way it is.

Sometimes I think we get silly waving the generalization/discrimination flag. If SWVA_08V2K said he though the V2K was a better bike than the 900, well what about an older gentleman like my neighbor who rides a VN900. He's been riding for 40 years but has severe arthritis. A V2K would leave him miserable in pain due to his arthritis in his hips and knees (he has trouble after a long day even on the 900). So would he be able to say "The V2K is NOT a better bike for experienced riders and you're discriminating against arthitics for saying that!"

I don't think so. The author of the article knows her audience. The kind of women who are looking for and reading articles on 'womens bikes' assume they really mean 'bikes for people with less riding experience, a smaller frame, and less muscle than the average american male motorcycle rider'. It's just that that's a mouthful. Some of the women I ride with who are much bigger and stronger than my wife, and have been riding much longer, would just scroll past an article for a 'womans motorcycle' because they don't have those same needs.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
That's it Romans. When my wife was bike shopping when she wanted to learn to ride she looked up those "Girl's Motorcycle" articles. I interjected and told her she should quit looking at that stuff and looking at things like low seat height and short reach is pointless (She is 5'10" and spends a few hours every other day at the gym). Find something that fits YOU and not what someone else says should fit you.

She can hop on the V2K and ride it and be ok, but she won't take it far because she is afraid if she drops it she will never get it back up.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Double minded, I know what you'er saying about the Ultra. Know a lady here who rides an Ultra Glide Ultra with all the extras. 5'3"?, maybe 120lbs, and cute as hell! Rides with the best of them. So I guess all of us on the 800s are really girly since we have 100cc less and aroung 150lbs lighter. The are easy to toss aroung though!

1 - 20 of 171 Posts