Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wonndering if anyone else is running a 90/90r21 on their 900 Custom. I put mine on last night and it rubs. It rubbed really bad on where the plastic fender bolts to the metal bracket. I ground down the nut piece and it barely clears now but it still drags a little on the plastic fender. I have rode it about 40 miles and at slow speeds you can hear it.

Does anyone know how to modify the fender bracket to get it not to rub or any other tricks to fix it.

Thanks

·
Registered
941 Posts
I have a Classic so I can't go out and look at mine. But looking at the pics on Kawi site. Are you talking about the bolts inside or the bolts that attach to the forks?

If it is the bolts in the fender, I would get some metal to raise the fender up higher. Like a small piece of flat cut aluminum that would extend the fender attaching to the forks.

I know my drawing sucks. Hopefully that would work.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like the idea. I am thinking something like that but actually cutting the bracket and adding a piece into it? Or maybe a whole different fender if there is anything custom out there that isn't crazy on price.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I don't mean to cut it. I wouldn't do that, cuz of resale value. I mean extend it so the fender sits higher. You could always run without a fender, custom chopper style. But then you might have to worry bout rocks getting kicked up and chipping the gas tank paint.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The reason for thinking of cutting is it only needs to move up about 1/4". If I cut it and reweld it will be taken back to the point of looking factory. If it gets jacked up I will just order a new oem one. Just looking for any and all options, because I don't want to cut. Thanks for the ideas.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I've been running a 90/90 Metzler on my custom. I've considered modifying the brackets by grinding out the holes were it mounts to the forks; making ovals out of them. I haven't actually taken the fender off to check out the possibilities. My Metzler doesn't actually touch the fender. Occasionally I get little gravel that zings through, but no rubber contact. Also, as the tire started to wear the issue went away. The Avon must have a different profile.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I put a Metzler MH 90/21 frount tire on my Custom and the finder was real close on the frount to the tire. I took the finder off and used a rat tail file and elongated the frount holes to let the finder come up some for more clearance. I now have about 1/4 inch clearance on the top and 1/8 inch on each side of tire. After about 150 miles of rideing on alot of twisty roads i can not see any rub areas.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
From what I am finding on other forums the avon has a different, more rounded shape and it doesn't work with out modification where the Metz does. Wished I would have found that info first. I have come up with a way I think to make it work, I will tell you what it is if it works. But thanks for the info I have received so far.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Good luck with the mods. Some have just added in a home made bracket to move the fender up and change the heads on the mounting bolts to some thing with a lower profile. But ya, the Avon 90/90 requires mods, the 80/90 is a direct fit.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a Classic so I can't go out and look at mine. But looking at the pics on Kawi site. Are you talking about the bolts inside or the bolts that attach to the forks?

If it is the bolts in the fender, I would get some metal to raise the fender up higher. Like a small piece of flat cut aluminum that would extend the fender attaching to the forks.

I know my drawing sucks. Hopefully that would work.
Took your advice and raised the fender. It's not perfect but it works doesn't look to bad.

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Dang!! I wish I had seen this when you first posted it... I have that exact tire on my Custom. I too, got the rubbing on the fender. I made a bracket out of flat steel and raised my fender by 3/4". Painted it black, and re-installed. I had pictures, but I can't find them now....

Nope, I'll have to re-take the pics if anyone needs/ wants them. The brackets are about 1/8" wider than the stock mounts, and tall enough to move the center of the holes up 3/4". I rounded the edges of everything. After test fitting, I removed and painted Gloss Black to match the Fender mount. I used a short (about 3/4")1/4-20 SAE bolt and lock-tite'd the nut for the bracket to the fender mount. Then all I have to do is re-attch the fender into the stock locations. Makes for easy fender removal on future tire changes.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I ended up with mine about 1 1/8" higher than stock, I think it might be a little high but it works for now. Also the brackets can be removed at a later date when I replace tire next time it will be with the 80/80 and I can just move the fender back down.

Thanks again for everyones input

·
Registered
941 Posts
Yup thats is exactly what I meant. I just can't draw.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts