Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I've got a safety question. I've listened to my front 90/90 Metzler tire rub against the fender while pushing it in a tight turn while parking in my garage for the last year. 5,000 miles with 3mm of tread depth still. Today I noticed the left side tire edge (sort of where the tire tread and sidewall merge) has worn down about 2mm or 3mm. Where the edge is forms sort of a '>' shape. The left side is leveled fairly flat now. The pictures don't seem to capture it, but I've added a picture from both sides for comparison. I'm beginning to wonder about having a sidewall blow-out. If you can gather anything from the photos, what do you think? Worry or don't worry?

Attachments

·
Banned
334 Posts
what do you think?
I think the owner's manual says the front tire is an 80/90, and not a 90/90.

I also think tires are the most important safety device on a motorcycle. Blow one out at 75 MPH and it might be the last ride you ever take.

·
Registered
658 Posts
In the OP's defense many on this site and others are safely running a 90/90-21 in the front and a 200/70-15 on the rear. That being said, I agree with the poster that said tires are one of the most important items on a bike. I would find out what is rubbing/causing the wear, and replace the tire.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
When I bought my ME 90/90 it was listed as a Grade 1 Upgrade - no modifications required. I decided to go for it because Metz doesn't make the correct size in a tubeless. Once I put it on I found that the bike handled much better in turns than with the 80/90 Dunny. The pics here are the 90/90 with about 12k miles on them; no scraping. What's causing the damage on Heretic's bike is the nut on the fender mounting screw. You can see in my pic that it's a tight fit, but if it's rubbing on only one side I suspect that something is bent, pushing the fender off to one side. It would only take a couple of millimeters.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Degreaser, technically you're correct. The 90/90 gets too close to the fender without modifications but the fact that Heretic is only seeing an issue on one side and Metz shows this tire as a no-mod upgrade, I still think something on his bike is out of whack. Also, I did not upgrade my rear tire so the slightly wider front tire keeps the front and rear closer to the same plane while leaning and that makes for a more stable turn.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
I went with the Night Dragons and the front started rubbing when I was at speed. I elongated the mounting holes to the fork tubes and positioned the fender evenly, front to back with the tire. No problem since. I also run the 200 on the rear for two reasons. One, to bring the revs down at highway speeds and two, it just looks cool.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Okay, I've got a safety question. I've listened to my front 90/90 Metzler tire rub against the fender while pushing it in a tight turn while parking in my garage for the last year. 5,000 miles with 3mm of tread depth still. Today I noticed the left side tire edge (sort of where the tire tread and sidewall merge) has worn down about 2mm or 3mm. Where the edge is forms sort of a '>' shape. The left side is leveled fairly flat now. The pictures don't seem to capture it, but I've added a picture from both sides for comparison. I'm beginning to wonder about having a sidewall blow-out. If you can gather anything from the photos, what do you think? Worry or don't worry?

this is my opinion if it was on my bike, there is alot of meat were the scuf is at and it's almost at the tread where you loose alot more rubber by normal wear, I would not even think abot it, I would run it till its worn out

·
Registered
112 Posts
I decided to go for it because Metz doesn't make the correct size in a tubeless.
Wow, I didn't know that. Now I'm even more glad I went for the Pirelli MT66 when I changed tyres last week.

Once I put it on I found that the bike handled much better in turns than with the 80/90 Dunny.
That doesn't prove that the size change made the difference unless you also compare with an 80/90 Metz, and/or a 90/90 Dunlop if there was one. The improvement could just be due to the fact that the Dunlops are junk.

·
Banned
334 Posts
They also show this:

---------------------

"Warning - By using this procedure you preliminary undertake and accept that Pirelli Tyre S.p.A. can not be considered responsible for any error or omission, nor can it be considered responsible for any damage subsequent to the choice of the suggested tire.

In particular, we wish to highlight that, because of specific regulations in the various countries or of possible amendments to technical or legal prescriptions, it is necessary that you, before fitting the suggested tires, make sure that the relevant fitting is allowed by the technical characteristics of the motorcycle, by the motorcycle manufacturer's indications and in compliance with the relevant homologations.

Accordingly, you shall carry out at your own responsibility whatever action is necessary in order to verify if any technical reason or prescription of law or of the motorcycle manufacturer prevent the fitting of the suggested tires.

Moreover, you fully discharge Metzeler from any liability whatsoever in relation to, or as a consequence of, claims by yourselves and/or any third party for damages subsequent to the fitting of the tires."

1 Lateral Measurement Tire to fender clearance: Minimum .25"
2 Radial Measurement Tire to under fender clearance: Minimum .50"

---------------------

The "motorcycle manufacturer's indications" (owners manual and/or service manual) say the correct size is 80/90, and one glance at that photo shows the 90/90 doesn't meet Metzler's own published spec for minimum clearance.

Metzler's web site recommends the 90/90 because they don't make a proper size tire for this application, and apparently they'd rather sell you the wrong tire instead of nothing at all. (And then they deny all responsibility if something goes wrong.)

Some people may be OK with that, but I wouldn't run those tires on my bike.

Joe

·
BOTM Winner, October/2012
291 Posts
been running the 90/90 Metz for the last year and no problems

·
Registered
112 Posts
The "motorcycle manufacturer's indications" (owners manual and/or service manual) say the correct size is 80/90, and one glance at that photo shows the 90/90 doesn't meet Metzler's own published spec for minimum clearance.

Metzler's web site recommends the 90/90 because they don't make a proper size tire for this application, and apparently they'd rather sell you the wrong tire instead of nothing at all. (And then they deny all responsibility if something goes wrong.)

Some people may be OK with that, but I wouldn't run those tires on my bike.

Joe
+1

I know there are plenty of people out there who have done it with no problems. There are also (if you read the relevant threads in forums on many sites, like I did before choosing my new tyres) plenty who complain of issues like this one, or of stones etc. sticking/scraping under the fender. The tyre-hugging look that you get with the 90/90 does suit the Custom's bar-hopping image, but in the real world these bikes do a lot more than bar-hop.

That blurb from Metzeler (Pirelli) really just says, "We wouldn't do this, and we don't want to spend our money making the right tyre for your bike, but we'll take your money anyway".

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Actually, a deeper search on Metz's site lists both tires as a "no-modification required upgrade", and many of my local tire shops actually recommend the same size tire AND will mount it with no waiver required. If you knew our local shops, they want a waiver on ANYTHING out of the ordinary, so that speaks volumes to me. There are several of us that have had blistering/swelling issues with the front 90/90 from Metz, though. With that in mind, and the rubbing, it's recommended to either: a) remove the fender and straighten the fender mounts a bit, and/or b) switch to a tire that doesn't rub.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I took my cycle down to the dealer and had one of their head mechanics look at the tire. He pretty much said the same thing Desert Angel said. I'm in agreement, but I wanted a more considered, expert opinion than my own. I ended up taking the front fender off, and examined the single piece bracket (oh, single piece!) that the fender bolts on to. One side just touched the tire, the other side had millimeters of room. I lightly :rolleyes: tapped the bracket until the tire was centered between the bracket's bolt holes. I had about two or three millimeters of space, at least, now between the tire and bracket on both sides. Sorry no photos. Also, make sure to sufficiently wrap the fork next to the bracket in protective material before lightly tapping the bracket. I just used a few layers of duct tape and discovered that some of my light taps were mis-aimed and nicked the fork chrome up some. :eek:

Why 90/90's/? I found the 80/90 tires too easily fell into road grooves and seams, like big ruts. The 90/90 tires make a big difference and don't do that.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I had no issues untill I hit a hard bump and that's when I realized the Metz 90/90 under this conditions rubs hard against the cheap plastic fender of the 900 custom.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a 09 9 custom, switched rear to a 230 avon 2in. lowered (rear) , recently switched original front dunny to new 90-90 shenko 777 , my front fender was way out of sinc. (from factory) I wallowed fender support holes, to raise it up, and twist it the right direction. When I was done, i ended up putting a flat washer rt. front, lft. rear between fender support and fork.I tested it yesterday (thurs) no rubbing.Took it up to 85.The front fender is perfectly centered. the frt. fender is so close to tire, i'm thinking maybe to paint frt. fender flat black, should make the fender invisible. Can,t decide, if i want to sand on that pretty (orange) fender. I got 10,000 mi. on bike, from new. Also , when i was out there tinkering, i took off upper frt. brake hose mount, cut off about 1-1/4" off it, bent a new loop on it, now the brake hose is hidden nicely, by the lft. fork tube. (cleans up the frt. a little) Just make sure to turn your steering all the way to the left, to get it in a good spot,(there is enough room) I'm sure you guys have already done this, thougt i'd mention it anyway.(it took the longest to find my bolt cutter) I also noticed, bike has a different feel, when turning, with 90-90.Havn't tested it on twisties yet. maybe today!GOD Bless.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I'll be getting a new front tire this weekend or early next week. I was considering the Metzler 90/90; however, after reading this thread I think I will stay with the 80/90 front and my Metzler 200 rear. Is there a preferred brand that I should consider (besides Dunlop) and what tread pattern do you guys run?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts