Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering moving from the standard 80/90 Dunlop junk tire to the 90/90 Metzeler 880; the diameter is of course larger. Has anyone had any problem mounting the larger tire with a stock 900 (2008) Custom fender? Any big issues or things to watch out for changing the tires at home?

Also, when the tires are changed, is it necessary to change the valve stems (especially the rear 90 degree valve stem)? Thanks.

·
BOTM Winner, December 2013
1,172 Posts
the metzler will fit no problems...no rubbing other than the lil moulding nibs for the first few miles.....but the first few times you pick up a pebble and it runs through it will sound bad... but its ok it wont hurt anything...

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Won't something like catching a pebble damage the fender (aside from the noise)? Is it necessary to change the valve stems, just the valve inserts, or nothing at all?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Nope the stems will be fine, at least it was on our VN900 with our Reaper front fender. The tire handles much better at speeds.
LM

·
Registered
711 Posts
The only issue I had with my 90/90 metz was when hitting a large bump on the road the rubbed and melted a little bit of the tire on the fender and also the fender melted a bit on contact with the tire. This only happened once and it was a large bump. Would I go back to 80/90 probably not.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I've had the Metzler 90/90 on mine for 2 years now with no serious problem. I do get the little zing now an then if I'm on gravel, but that's all. I'm considering grinding out the fender mounts a little to lift the fender and 1/8" or so, but I'm not sure I'm even going to bother. I do need to replace the rear stem though, that stupid 90 degree rubber mount won't hold pressure any more.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
No issues with rubbing, I have however changed to the Avon Roadrider 90/90 up front, it fits as well and so far much better feel on the road. I had some problems with 2 metz so I changed brands {you can search my threads to see what happened, Metzler blistering}
I also had problems with 2 of the Metz in a row. The 1st was a tread blister with about 60% of the tread life still remaining, the 2nd was a sidewall blister after only 200-300 miles.

·
Registered
430 Posts
i am also considering going to the 90/90 front but i've read on here that depending on which tire you get, you have to adjust the brackets or it'll rub. i dont remember if the avon 90/90 or the Metz 90/90 fits better because of its radius... not sure but that might be something to look into

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
From what I've heard the Avon Roadrider is slightly small in diameter, so the rubbing issue is reduced. I suppose we could just adjust the fender height, or get a new one.

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
fender is fine, you may need to adjust the bracket.
I CnC cut out a few sets out of 316 brushed stainless that raise the front guard 1/4" higher.

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I wouldn't mind adding a bit of space between my stock fender and a 90/90 tire. What's the easiest way to gain 1/4" or so? Drill out the bolt holes, or something else?

·
BOTM Winner, December 2013
1,172 Posts
the metz fits 100% for sure.. i know i run one .. no mods at all... it was the avon cobra 90/90-21 that was too big and needs fender bracket mods.

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'd like to retain as much room as possible between the fender and the tire to avoid any pebble-scraping or other such issues. Does anyone know which offers more room (slight though it may be) - the Metzeler or the Avon Roadrider?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts