Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at getting the 9" Klock Werks Windshield and just wanted some reviews from those who have one. I'm not so much worried on how much wind buffering I get but how much my wife will get. I have the 14" Kawi shield on now and just wanted to know if she would at least somewhat of the same protection from the wind.

Right now I have my custom 12" ape hangers that were made for my bike out be powder coated and wanted the get a different windshield that would more meet the image of the bike.
Thanks!!!

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
I'm looking at getting the 9" Klock Werks Windshield and just wanted some reviews from those who have one. I'm not so much worried on how much wind buffering I get but how much my wife will get. I have the 14" Kawi shield on now and just wanted to know if she would at least somewhat of the same protection from the wind.

Right now I have my custom 12" ape hangers that were made for my bike out be powder coated and wanted the get a different windshield that would more meet the image of the bike.
Thanks!!!
Do you mean the klockwerks curved shield? if so, no it does not even come close to the wind protection of the 14", not even. and the buffeting is very noticeable.

This is exactly what I did on my skoot. the shield looks bad azz but that 14" is the bomb for wind protection. IMO don't spend the $$$.

RACNRAY

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ray, I guess bad azz and wind protection isn't sold together but I still might go with bad azz, any wind protection is better than not having any protection at all.

Does anyone have any info on the 10" windvest?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Diehard.... I have a 10 inch windvest on my Voyager and wont think of changing it. I am 5'11" and it is perfect for me, I wear a half helmet with a visor and get no buffeting what so ever, i have ridden in the rain with no problem, and very seldom feel anything hit the top of my helmet, and every so often feel a pebble but never a bug to the face. I see them coming at me and brace for impact but with the recurve they go right over my head. The extra air movement I feel is great compared to the 18" stock shield, and to my surprise the wife on the back loves it too, she get more air and no buffeting either. with the temps topping the 100's now the air extra air is very welcomed.
The other issue i was concerned about was hearing the Tunes, but I don't turn it up any more than I did with the stock shield, even at 80 I can still hear tunes set at 12 just fine.
Compared to stock it totally changed the look of the bike as well.
I am a very happy and content Windvest owner.......:):D

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Diehard.... I have a 10 inch windvest on my Voyager and wont think of changing it. I am 5'11" and it is perfect for me, I wear a half helmet with a visor and get no buffeting what so ever, i have ridden in the rain with no problem, and very seldom feel anything hit the top of my helmet, and every so often feel a pebble but never a bug to the face. I see them coming at me and brace for impact but with the recurve they go right over my head. The extra air movement I feel is great compared to the 18" stock shield, and to my surprise the wife on the back loves it too, she get more air and no buffeting either. with the temps topping the 100's now the air extra air is very welcomed.
The other issue i was concerned about was hearing the Tunes, but I don't turn it up any more than I did with the stock shield, even at 80 I can still hear tunes set at 12 just fine.
Compared to stock it totally changed the look of the bike as well.
I am a very happy and content Windvest owner.......:):D
Thanks for the input but I've already ordered the Klockwerks shield. I wouldn't think or should I say Hope 9" vs 10" wouldn't be much different even tho the KW does have a more curved edges, but I will find out hopefully by Thursday.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
This is what I had to do to keep me from throwing the Klockwerks in the garbage, I installed the stock shield and drilled holes in it to raise the klockwerks shield.

Still does not even come close to the protection I felt with the 12" kawi shield, but gives the skoot the bagger look and not the tourer look.

RACNRAY

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looking at the picture closer Ray am i seeing two sets of screws? Looks like you bolted the Klockwerks shield on top of the stock shield.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Looking at the picture closer Ray am i seeing two sets of screws? Looks like you bolted the Klockwerks shield on top of the stock shield.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
YES....that is what I said above the pic...

"This is what I had to do to keep me from throwing the Klockwerks in the garbage, I installed the stock shield and drilled holes in it to raise the klockwerks shield."

RACNRAY

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
This is what I had to do to keep me from throwing the Klockwerks in the garbage, I installed the stock shield and drilled holes in it to raise the klockwerks shield.

Still does not even come close to the protection I felt with the 12" kawi shield, but gives the skoot the bagger look and not the tourer look.

RACNRAY
Since you had the 12" shield, am curious about passenger issues, if any with it.I still have the stock shield on my Voyager, but new 12" is due in tomorrow. Wanting more airflow in the summer, am currently looking through stock shield about 4" below the top. Am sure will be fine for me, but hping it works out for my full time passenger. Any input?

·
Registered
10 Posts

RACNRAY
Thanks Ray I have the KW shield on order and will do the same thing as you did by bolting to the OEM. My question is what bolts did you use to join the shields together?

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
I used some large button head allen screws with locknuts on the inside.

RACNRAY

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have a BRAND NEW Klockworks FLIP windshield for sale. Not tall enough for me....had ordered it for the bike when I bought it, dealership put it on, worst ride home EVER !!!! Couldn't wait to get the original one back on the bike, interested.....email me at [email protected]

THANKS

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've got the KW 9" and will admit it dose look bad azz and follows the lines of the bike great ,I found it to work fo me at 80mph an I'm 5'7" ,but my lady who's 5'2"was getting bad buffering on back w/stock seats, So i tried the Baggersheild 8/12" flip sheild and we both like it and is a breeze to use, it use's three 1/2" rubber swell nuts to hold theupper half

·
Registered
13 Posts
diehard rider, what kind of custom 12" ape hangers did you get? who made them for you? price?

I have a 2014 ABS Vaquero and the Roaring Toyz "kit" is not compatible with the ABS model; and I have been patiently waiting for Mr. Myers to start building bars again...

Thank You

·
Registered
547 Posts
I've got the KW 9" and will admit it dose look bad azz and follows the lines of the bike great ,I found it to work fo me at 80mph an I'm 5'7" ,but my lady who's 5'2"was getting bad buffering on back w/stock seats, So i tried the Baggersheild 8/12" flip sheild and we both like it and is a breeze to use, it use's three 1/2" rubber swell nuts to hold theupper half
Have a bagger shield that someone can have for $50 plus shipping. Might need some new hardware as I had the nuts work loose 500 miles from home and the only tool I had avaialbe was a leather man. Few scratches on the hardware.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry Jester but I never got the bars...I wrecked my bike July 3rd. Lol...at a 130mph and the rolled end for end about 8 times there was nothing left to install bars on. I'll tell you this tho the fairing was completely ripped off but my Klock Werks shield was intact and nothing wrong with it. Strong shield!

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have a BRAND NEW Klockworks FLIP windshield for sale. Not tall enough for me....had ordered it for the bike when I bought it, dealership put it on, worst ride home EVER !!!! Couldn't wait to get the original one back on the bike, interested.....email me at [email protected]

THANKS
Here is an update......ordered a 16" Kawasaki windshield from my local dealer, got it installed and.......WOW !!!!! What a big difference. NO buffeting, or sunglasses trying to lift off my face and I can now actually hear the radio. So....a GREAT purchase for me.

So I still have the KLOCKWERKS FLIP windshield for sale as well as the 12" Kawasaki windshield. PM or email me for details. I am a MOTIVATED seller, not going to give them away, but want to get them GONE !!!!!!

Thanks Everyone :dont-know:

T

·
0 Posts
I just got the Klock Werks windshield. It looks sleek and cool, but is way too short. I'm 6'0" and the wind hits me below the nose.

I am going to head to the hardware store this morning to get screws and washers for RacNRay's mod.... WHY CAN'T THEY MAKE A TALLER VERSION??????

1 - 20 of 22 Posts