Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever try it. Yes i know our units are one peice pipes but I can cure that easily and weld pretty good. and the huge heat shields we have can hide the pipe to muffler joint. The reason I ask is I can get a set for nothing great shape still have the crossover tube like our do. I know it's more work than just debaffling but since the PO of my bike drilled holes all over my pipes I have them welded up already so they aren't pristine by any means.
I just wonder what they'd sound like. And besides my time the rest would be free.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So after further investigation I found out why i didn't like the sound of my bike. The P O not only drilled holes all over. when I went to look closer for garage night with the guys tonight I found two phillips head screws inside the exhaust. The PO put a 2ft piece of 1/2 Galv. pipe inside the pipe. I had to cut the front muffler off the pipe and drive it out. The rear pipe came out with some wiggling and pliers. I didn't put the sporty mufflers up to the header pipe and I would have to come up with a spacer as the sporty mufflers have a bigger ID than the header pipe. I ran the bike after pulling the rear pipe out and the sound was 100% different and better. So to me it wasn't worth the effort to put on the sporty's. But it would not be hard at all to seperate and put any slip on mufflers in place that a guy wanted. Would just have to figure out mounting on the rear of the mufflers.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Interesting!

I actually think these bikes sound great with the factory pipes debaffled, but with the goats bladder (cat converter) still in tact. Right amount of volume, and very throaty kind of 'muscle car' sound. There are a handful of pipes I like better, but most of the aftermarket pipes, to me, only mimic or are worse than the sound of the debaffled pipes (that's me though). That said, I think it sounds awful when they do the "Stage" debaffling where they punch a hole, drill holes, etc. I removed my baffles completely, and it sounds GREAT.

The reason I say that is, if you get everything pulled out of there, but still don't like the looks because of the previous owner, don't discount the idea of getting a cheap/free set of pipes like pop up on this forum every once in a while. Take the baffles all the way out, and enjoy!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts