Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I have an 88 Vulcan that I am looking to modify a bit, I would like to change the wheels possibly.
My question is this. Could I replace my 15 inch rear wheel with a 16 inch rear wheel and would I be able to use a 16 inch front wheel. I like the idea of having a same size fat tyre on the front .
I look forward to your responses

·
Registered
659 Posts
Hi @Mikegt hope your well :) were yu bin hiding LOL

Back wheel should not be a problem :) BUT the front is the yokes aint wide enough to fit a 16" wheel in the front :( you would have to change the hole front end out :( :) Then you have the problem with the air cleaners if you haven't done the ear shave a wider front end will hit the chrome pods unless you have the round 1s fitted to your bike

Steve

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Steve,
Unfortunately my project has taken a back seat due to helping others out.
Friends of our emigrated to Australia 5 years ago, I get a message oh mike do you think you could look at our bikes and get them sorted for selling, I of coarse said yes as I love to tinker. One 2001 Honda cbr 600 , drain fuel tank, clean fuel tank , new fork seals, new lubricants and battery oh and head bearings, then a Honda rvf400 again tank emptied and cleaned , strip and clean carbs, new lubricants and fork seals. Any way got them both running and mot’d and sold.
Then another mate with a royal Enfield bullet needed help, tank clean , carb clean etc etc but we can’t get that one to idle so we have decided to put it back to stock as he has put an Amal carb and upgraded exhaust on it and it runs like crap.

Anyway I digress .

That’s a shame about the front wheel , I’ll probably leave them as they are then. I’m basically wanting to go down the bobber route with it and I liked the idea of the fat fron tyre.
I’ve got a smart little electrical device which is like the motogadget m unit but a fraction of the price!. I’m looking forward to getting that far!.
I have cut the back off the frame and now looking at how to put a rear fender on and get a new solo seat sorted.
I’m really looking forward to getting back into this project of mine and any advice or ideas are more than welcomed.

·
Registered
659 Posts
LOL :) you could just get a set of yokes out of a later model :) then you will have to fab something up to mount your speedo :) All doable if you have the gear :) Going FAT front end on mine this back end but using a harley front wheel twin disc :) & using my front end in the 800 I have on the bench :)

Steve

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Problem as you say is the air filters, I haven’t done the ear shave as I’ve heard so many different views and opinions about it. If I got yokes off a newer biker would my forks fit ? I haven’t got to the dials yet, if I start changing the wheels then I’ll have to go aftermarket speedo that I can set up on wheel size etc etc.
Sounds like you’ve got bits lying round Steve ?? Any wheels ? Hehe

·
Registered
659 Posts
Hahahahahahah ye ALL/MOST of the bits LOL 12" center yokes I made years ago for my parts bike 88 :) front wheel of mate :) think you will find that all the 1500 fork legs are 41mm so a set of yokes out of lets say a nomad should fit :)

Steve

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So new wheels tyres and yokes , could be an expensive modification , I have to say though I do want to do something to get the wheels the same size and the front tyre to be fat

·
Registered
659 Posts
mist your last post coss i was replying to the 1 before LOL the 800 has a 21" front at the min out of a harley :( but i would have to make a spindle up for it :( have enough on sorting my front end out LOL so faster to put my front end in the 800 :) BUT there will be a set of wide yokes up for grabs later on when I get the back end sorted in the 800 :) sticking a solid rear wheel with disk brake in the 800 :)

Steve

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks like I need someone who is breaking the bike I need all the bits off. I really want to get on with it now, probably sooner than you will have those yokes available

·
Registered
659 Posts
Yu never know yu luck in a raffle :) LOL should be back on the back wheel this next week :) 1s I have it lined up were i wont it :) so if you could give me a month ish to sort the rest of my front end & get it in my bike then the yokes would be available out the 800 :)

Steve

1 - 11 of 11 Posts