Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, just purchased an 88 VN1500. According to previous owner , bike has been sitting for a few years - now won't start. I checked and there is no spark. I have a manual and tested both coil packs with a multi meter and they are both within the specified range. It is cranking over well.

Would i be correct in suspecting the igniter is bad? I see the manual has a procedure on how to test it, but i need a kawasaki specific meter for this, which is no longer made.

On a side note, i removed the carb, it appears clean however i did notice the pilot screw was only out about 3/4 of a turn. Is this enough?

Any suggestions on how to proceed from here would be great.

Ryan

·
Registered
1 Posts
That actually might be it. I never thought about the ignition switches. I just assumed it was related to the carb because of the recent work I had done on it. Thanks for the tip! I have a vacation coming up soon so maybe I'll take it apart then.

·
Registered
2006 Nomad 1600
84 Posts
Good morning.

When I do bikes that old I take time to go through all the electrical connectors. Yes I know it is a pain in the butt but has to be done. Chasing electric gremlins can be hard, so might as well just go around and check all the connectors and fuses.

Removed the spark plug boots from the plug line. Looks at the end of the line and see if there is a good copper looking connection? I normally take off about 1/8" to exposure new clean copper wire.

Using dielectric grease on all the connectors will help to water proof them and also stop future corrosion from happening.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts