Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can be from any year that fits '89, but I am specifically looking for the SPECIAL EDITION tank, which is the tank WITHOUT the chrome instrument cluster or fuel float. My current tank has been repaired and repaired and repaired again and I need to replace it but I'm finding it impossible to find the SE tank on eBay or other similar sites.

Thanks in advance guys.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Be like trying to pull Hens teeth OR find Rocking horse crap ! so wots up with your tank ?
Tell me about it. I desperately need a tank that will fit. My tank is shot. Its been repaired more times than I can count. Pinholes, big holes, rust rot, you name it. I've tried interior sealants (ethanol gas eats right through it), cold welds, specially formulated bullshit sealer. What held it the longest was simple fiberglass resin. But it wont hold fuel anymore, it used to just weep now it drips. It soaked my battery after a 2 mile ride.

Its got more holes than a 12-legged hooker man. I even tried taking it to some buddies to weld, a welding shop, etc. They wont go near it, even after I cleaned it out. I dont blame em tho.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I know you don't wont to But i think your going to have to go down the standed tank route ! you don't have to put the chrome shroud on !

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know you don't wont to But i think your going to have to go down the standed tank route ! you don't have to put the chrome shroud on !
Yeah I hear ya, and I'm open to that now. I'm finding it hard to locate a used tank within my budget on ebay that isnt as fucked as my current one!

·
Registered
659 Posts
Look up Bores Cycle They have 1 in $95.00 ! Don't know how much to ship to you ! Seller info yz12910rv , don't know if it's any help ! worth a try !

Steve

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did you get sorted ??
I bought the tank and it just arrived yesterday. Thank you for helping me find that vendor. Now there is some flaking in the tank and rust but overall its in decent shape. Any recommendations for cleaning the flakes out? I cant tell if previous owner tried sealing or what they are, it doesnt look like kreme or redkote, just silver flakes.. almost like it was original.

Picked up some acid, but I figured Id ask some guys here for tips before moving forward.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
659 Posts
Hi 8ofspades glad you got sorted !

Nuts & bolts & a bit of fuel & shake it all about ! give a GOOD flush with fuel & you should be back on the road !

Steve

1 - 15 of 15 Posts