Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to post in my project log today and realized that I never started one, just had an in depth introduction post :D So here’s the scoop on the 88 bagger project:

Original post:
Hey Vulcanados!

I’m here in Washington state, and two Vulcans in the garage. 06 VN750 bobber and a 95 EightyEight. 750 is running good for the most part. Just not a lot of room to haul stuff along, hence the 88 bagger project. The 88 is needing some help (new to me, now I gotta start fixing stuff):

1)Signals are out. Front running lights still work, but nothing on all four turn signals and no signal light on the dash. PO was trying to convince me it was just the dash lightbulb that was out, but I’m not convinced. Fuse looked good. Relay out maybe?
2) Found out after I rode her home that the front right fork seal is leaking. Not sure if the PO cleaned it up when I came to look at it or if I just missed it when checking everything out. Never done fork seals before, but I guess it’s time to learn.

“Poor Man’s Street Glide”
Fun stuff planned (or maybe hoped for is more accurate ;):
-Swap out the heritage saddlebags for hard bags and match paint.
-Swap out the seat for a gunfighter style (been trying to figure out compatible seats. I’m sure there are a bunch of threads on here about it, maybe off a mean streak if I can find one)
-Hardest thing would be the batwing fairing. Not sure if the Memphis shades one I see online would work with the windshield mounts that came with the bike. Also seen a few HD ones on Craigslist for a decent price, but they look challenging to mount without HD hardware.
-Forward controls. I’m 6’ 2”, and a little leg room would be nice. Struggling to find a better option than fabricating my own.

I’m brand new to the 88. I’ve had two VN 750s, so I’m getting pretty familiar with everything, but totally in the dark with the 1500. Any advice would be appreciated!

-Landy

Thanks to everyone who has helped out with my various questions as I’m getting up to speed with the 88!

So the flasher relay was disconnected. Plugged it in and got partial functionality back. Replaced it and got three out of four working perfectly. My front left signal is always lit up (steady, not flashing), I need to track that problem down sometime soon.

After riding her around, the fork seal isn’t leaking too bad. I still want to get to it this winter.

I did get a gunfighter seat off craigslist for $50. It’s off a VTX1300. I’m still in the process of working out all the fitment issues.

Got some reasonably priced hard bags off Amazon, although I’m running into some fitment problems with the rear caliper. @magicgrotto has a good idea that I hope to get to this winter. Thinner rear caliper and custom bracket to increase clearance. There is a motorcycle junk yard not too far from here. I’m hoping I can trade him some of the Vn750 and 1500a parts that I’ve removed or replaced in these two builds for a new rear caliper when the time comes.

Worked on getting the suspension in order. Got the adjustments all working again, but the dampeners were pretty shot even on the stiffest setting. I ordered some new shocks on eBay that have arrived and were promptly installed.

And a new kickstand spring off amazon (no more kickstand tinkling against the pavement on hard lefts). Took about 3 minutes to install :D

I have a benefit run I’m participating in on Dec 1, so I gotta keep her in good working order until after then. I also need to reinstall my rear turn signals (I had them off since my plan is to install some lights in the hard bags once their installed), and put my windshield back on. I anticipate Dec 1 in Western Washington to be wet 😉

She’s getting road worthy again after all my tinkering.

And then there’s this:

Found a Harley fairing on Craigslist for $65. Always loved the look of batwings. In all honesty I’ll probably get around to fitting that before I get to the bags. I got a cheap windshield off amazon and a reasonably priced Harley OEM headlight and bracket off eBay; both in route. I’ll probably need to replace or relocate the speedo to get the fairing to fit. My plan is to use the windshield mounting hardware and fabricate some support brackets for the fairing.

And I need to figure out what to do about paint. Bags and fairing don’t match, and will need to be painted. Teal is not my favorite color, and I’m reluctant to spend time and money making more things teal, but repainting the whole bike is a bit daunting right now.

Thanks for reading, comments welcome.

-Landy

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quite like the look of the batwing & the colour :) breaks it up so why not do the bags the same colour ???

Steve

Teal, Navy, Gold, and Orange is a bit extreme for me I’ll figure it out.

On a bit of a sad note, I took her out yesterday for the first time with the new suspension, seat, and kickstand spring. Suspension and seat were great, but I am still dragging my kickstand on left turns even when it’s tucked all the way up. It was a little wet, so I wasn’t even riding hard. Anyone else have this problem? Any fixes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
659 Posts
Hi @LandyLou Hope your well :)
Looks normal to me :) the only thing I can see from your pics is that the dome nut looks to have a gap at the rear of the stand ?? are you certain it's tight enough & not flopping about ??

Steve

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
FYI and to take some ideas.

That’s awesome! Exactly what I’m going for. What inner fairing is that? I couldn’t find any that didn’t have the sound system holes pre cut.
Also, how did you rig up the bags? Looks like you have some kind of spacer in there...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
As you'pre probably discovering, aftermarket accessories for these BUBFs ar hard to come by but thank God for the internet. You have to do alot of fabricating but it will look great when its done. I love seeing these older bikes still on the road.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts