Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All stock 2016 Vaquero. Marbled pair valve. Set PCV to Dynjet 005 stock Vaquero map and added addition fuel (+20 to +30) to zero and #2 throttle column between 1,500 and 2,250 rpm trying to reduce decal popping which happens most when letting off in 3rd and it hits under 2,000 rpm. Not perfect but MUCH better. Question: will the adding of extra fuel help in using 87 octane. The stock map from Dynojet adds additional across all ranges as well. Wasn't sure if this would allow for lowering octane level or should I still use the 90 recommended by Mfg. Some use 87 some use 93, I'm confused. Does the PCV change this? Thanks!!!

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
I would say adding a PCV would not change what octane to use.
I use 87 with my PCV and have been for years.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
2012 Voyager, drilled baffles, stock intake, and a Gman controller. Have ran 87 since the 1st service was done, added the controller about 4 months later. Have only heard the valves twice and both time, I was letting the clutch out too quick and not giving enough gas. Bike now has about 53k miles. I dont ride it too hard. You can try a tank or 2, and decide yourself. If it pings, go back up in octane.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I would say adding a PCV would not change what octane to use.
I use 87 with my PCV and have been for years.
Yup, I've been using 87 also.....no issues. All the PCV does is add or subtract fuel, it has no effect on fuel octane requirements that I'm aware of......but I'm no expert :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! I'll try 87 for a while and see how she does. Just trying to help reduce the decel popping. Seems to pop more using 93 octane

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
Thanks! I'll try 87 for a while and see how she does. Just trying to help reduce the decel popping. Seems to pop more using 93 octane
Now there are other factors that can cause popping.
Like loose exhaust pipes at the head. Or a leak behind the throttle body to the port. There's a gasket for that.

And of course too lean of fuel.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Octane rating doesn't cause popping, Just like David says, a leak on your exhaust, or on the intake itself will cause it. When you decel it will still suck in air from the outside from anywhere there is a leak. Try using a cigarette or something that makes significant smoke and hold it by each head pipe where it bolts on with the engine running. If there is a leak you will see it. The Thunder Manufacturing gasket is a good idea also. Tuning is the only way to get rid of popping once all air leaks are eliminated. I've eliminated most of mine but what is left I'm used to it :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got rid of most of it. I did put on the TB gasket and washers behind the exhaust bolts. Did not do a smoke test. That's not a bad idea. I'll try and see how she looks. Added quit a bit of fuel, up to +30 round the 2,000 rpm mark, still playing with it. May take it to a dyno to see what they can do, or just have to live with what is left. Just don't want to screw things up by making to many guess changes on the PCV.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Got rid of most of it. I did put on the TB gasket and washers behind the exhaust bolts. Did not do a smoke test. That's not a bad idea. I'll try and see how she looks. Added quit a bit of fuel, up to +30 round the 2,000 rpm mark, still playing with it. May take it to a dyno to see what they can do, or just have to live with what is left. Just don't want to screw things up by making to many guess changes on the PCV.
Sell the PCV and get your ecu flashed from Ivan. It will get rid of all the bad habits kawasaki put in the tune and you will have zero backfiring. Downside is you have to run 91oct or higher because he bumps up the timing on the lower end amongst other things. The bike will run great and cooler as well. Well worth doing. Just check all the reviews of people the have done it, not a bad word about it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts