- Before you do any laborious work, does the tank actually hold a full load of fuel?
- If it doesn't then you will be better off getting a used tank and have it painted. Plain black or black metal flake paint job won't be very expensive. Only white would be cheaper.
- If it does, then I have used the rust removing media available at Harbor Freight Tools. These little abrasive, green, pyramid shaped things do a fantastic job and their shape makes it easy to get 'em all out.
- How you choose to tumble them or shake them about is up to you.
- Don't forget to run some mechanics wire through the drain and vent tubes initially. Then some pipe cleaners or straw brushes.