Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.
I've just bought 2000 kawasaki vulcan 800 classic as a project bike. Was replacing last thing, fuel tank cap (didn't have the key). So once I was able to open it and I saw that tank inside is all rusty and dusty. Bike was standing in storage for some time. So my question is can I somehow clean inside? My neighbor told me that there is epoxy coating that you can apply inside once it's clean.
Or what would you guys advise me to do about it?

Used tanks available around $400 and only 2 I could find in my color. I would prefer not to spend that much. And will leave it as last resort.
Rest of the bike in good shape just some rusty spots on the chrome.

Thank you in advance.
Stan.
Ingredient Fluid Liquid Cuisine Dish

· Registered
1,252 Posts
I used evapo rust and soaked the tank for about 3 days changing positions every 8 to 12 hours or so with a hand full of nuts in the tank as an agitator.
vinegar and water flush after and air dry.
Not a fan of the coatings they will eventually begin to break down and turn into a nasty slurry in the tank.
look for something that doesn't remove the rust so much as convert it into something else that wont rust basically makes its own coating that wont break down.

· Registered
335 Posts
Evaporust is the only thing I use anymore. It's the best method. If there is flaky rust then throw a jug of copper BB's into the tank, wrap it in a comforter and stick it in the dryer. Make sure the tank can't move. If you have to, put some pillows around it to keep it still. Turn off the heat and turn on the dryer for a few hours. After that, Evaporust it and you'll be golden.

I use tape to seal the tank, then put it in a garbage bag, then wrap it in the comforter. I used to use ball chain until I had it get hung up on a vent tube and had to fight to get it out. Now the BB's do the trick and if you forget one or two, they can't get passed the petcock to get into and block a fuel line.

· Registered
843 Posts
Hi Moro,
  • Before you do any laborious work, does the tank actually hold a full load of fuel?
  • If it doesn't then you will be better off getting a used tank and have it painted. Plain black or black metal flake paint job won't be very expensive. Only white would be cheaper.
  • If it does, then I have used the rust removing media available at Harbor Freight Tools. These little abrasive, green, pyramid shaped things do a fantastic job and their shape makes it easy to get 'em all out.
  • How you choose to tumble them or shake them about is up to you.
  • Don't forget to run some mechanics wire through the drain and vent tubes initially. Then some pipe cleaners or straw brushes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts