Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, Need ya'lls opinion. I'm going on a 8,000 mile 2 1/2 week motorcycle trip this summer. We leave Florida and ride out to SD, MT, WY, Ut, CO and back. If we all leave Florida on fresh motorcycle specific full synthetic are we safe doing the entire trip on the same oil or should be plan for a service at the half way point?

Thanks in advance,
Craig

·
Registered
51 Posts
I know others will say go ahead and run it you can do 10K+ on synthetic. Last year we did a run out to CO for a M&G on the same bike and I got the oil changed in Denver before coming back. Stopped in at a Kaw dealer (that was painful for me since I do all my own work) told them we where on the road and needed an oil change, took us in right away.

My thought is that we where running 2 up towing a trailer going through desert and some very hot temperatures so why not get it changed. Small inconvenience and cost for some piece of mind.

Leaving soon (on another M&G in NM) down the East coast, across the Gulf coast over to NM, Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Bad lands, Michigan, Canada and back to Massachusetts (around 7k in 24 days). Will get the oil changed somewhere out there.

Have a GREAT trip and be careful. Bad Lands and Crazy Horse are worth seeing.
Trevor

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Trevor, Thanks for sharing your experience. We are spending three nights camping in Custer and the Badlands and Crazy Horse are on my list among many other SD destinations.

Craig

·
Registered
51 Posts
It may seem like an extra expense but I recommend doing the tour up onto Crazy Horse about $120 I think but it is something that not everyone gets to experience. When I went I was the only one and got a great tour from the guide.

How many people can say they looked right up Crazy Horses nose? But then how many people want to say that?

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Hey guys, Need ya'lls opinion. I'm going on a 8,000 mile 2 1/2 week motorcycle trip this summer. We leave Florida and ride out to SD, MT, WY, Ut, CO and back.
lets see.. 2.5 weeks =17-18 daze? 8000 miles/18 = 450 miles day, every day, back to back to back to back....... I would hafta say by about day 3 you should reconsider this itinerary.. I know some daze you will do more, some less.. but 18 daze of non stop sitting in the saddle.. all day.. every day.. doesn't sound like either a vacation or actually having time to stop and see and do anything.. besides ride?
but hey that's just me. you do what you gotta do. its yor ride and dime. enjoy it while you can. ponchout

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First two days and final two days are long days but in between they aren't bad days at all. we do 9 nights in hotels and 9 nights camping. We camp at Custer(three nights), Glacier(two Nights), Yellowstone(Two Nights) and Rocky Mountain National Park (Two nights).

Yes in an ideal would I'd like 5 weeks or longer but I'm a working stiff so 2.5 weeks is all I get and my group is accustomed to touring vacations. first two days are 700 milers. I've done this before on a sport bike and done 1100 mile saddle sore on a Goldwing so I'm comfortable doing this on the Voyager.

Craig

lets see.. 2.5 weeks =17-18 daze? 8000 miles/18 = 450 miles day, every day, back to back to back to back....... I would hafta say by about day 3 you should reconsider this itinerary.. I know some daze you will do more, some less.. but 18 daze of non stop sitting in the saddle.. all day.. every day.. doesn't sound like either a vacation or actually having time to stop and see and do anything.. besides ride?
but hey that's just me. you do what you gotta do. its yor ride and dime. enjoy it while you can. ponchout

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ponch, two years ago we toured much of the Canadian maritimes and it was AWESOME! That trip looked EPIC! Someday when I have the time. This year we head the the northern western states. Next Spring or fall we're gonna do the desert southwest.

Craig

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
takes 10 minutes to change the oil and filter. Bring the tools, pick up oil and filter at Advance Auto, an aluminum basting pan and change the oil in their parking lot. They'll even lend you a torque wrench.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts