Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned an 800 classic and 900 custom.Thinking about buying a 750.I have heard their motors are very complex, have more cams,moving parts,more complicated.I expect repair or maintainance might be more expensive or difficult.Input appreciated.

·
BOTM Winner, April 2015
766 Posts
Back when they were still being made I was looking into them but heard the same stories as you noted and that's what kept me away.
A rider i knew loved them and didn't mind removing the engine to replace the stator.
A mechanic friend just flat out turns them away.

That being said i still like the 80's look to them.
Get another vn800 man.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Back when they were still being made I was looking into them but heard the same stories as you noted and that's what kept me away.
A rider i knew loved them and didn't mind removing the engine to replace the stator.
A mechanic friend just flat out turns them away.

That being said i still like the 80's look to them.
Get another vn800 man.
I agree.I found a 99 800 for a good price.That is where I am leaning.

·
BOTM Winner, April 2015
766 Posts
What was the reason for letting go of the previous vn800?

They are very affordable and are mechanicly sound with no stator problems like the vn750 and vn900.
About the only drawback is the mechanical rear brakes and the soft suspension for 2 up riding.
Pretty easy to work on if need be.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What was the reason for letting go of the previous vn800?

They are very affordable and are mechanicly sound with no stator problems like the vn750 and vn900.
About the only drawback is the mechanical rear brakes and the soft suspension for 2 up riding.
Pretty easy to work on if need be.
That was way back when it was new in 2001.I rode it 10,000 miles in 2001.I started trying bigger bikes.Goldwings,royal stars,valkyries,ultra classic, then the vulcan 900 custom.I sold the 900 to be able to buy my wife a car.it was a good bike.But after 40 yrs of bikes, owning over 20, I can say the best riding and the most enjoyable bike i ever owned was the 800 classic.

·
BOTM Winner, April 2015
766 Posts
Wow, that's a great line-up of bikes. Big bikes too.
I think the lightness and agility of the vn800 plays a big factor in comparison right? Especially if it's a commute bike or weekend warrior and the occasional out of town trip.

I've had all kinds of bikes myself thru the years and all were great at what they were designed to do.
Every now and then I think of a Virago 750 I once had. Similar style as the vn750.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, that's a great line-up of bikes. Big bikes too.
I think the lightness and agility of the vn800 plays a big factor in comparison right? Especially if it's a commute bike or weekend warrior and the occasional out of town trip.

I've had all kinds of bikes myself thru the years and all were great at what they were designed to do.
Every now and then I think of a Virago 750 I once had. Similar style as the vn750.

The threee you own now is very impressive.I have read a lot about te cx 500 lately.There is a silverwing available I saw recently for about 2500 I think it was.I rode the 800 vulcan as much as 300 miles oneway.basically if the seat is good,mustang in my case, the hp is adequate, about 48 rwhp, and the ergos are right id doesnt matter so much about displacement.most of the time displacement adds weight but not power.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts