Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So far, I am aware of the following people having a 750. No doubt there are some that I've missed jotting down but here's the deal so far: (In no particular order) (Please let me know so I can add your name to the list if I've missed you)

1) Vn750Guy** --------------------------------Fredrickson, Washington (pic attached)
2) codyk93 -------------------------------------- ? , Virginia
3) Wayneridout --------------------------------- ? , ?
4) XenaBurnham ------------------------------- ? , ? (pic attached)
5) Nhsmoker ----------------------------------- ? , New Hampshire
6) JohnBob -------------------------------------South of Boston, Mass
7) duder762 ------------------------------------Sonoita , Arizona
8) LandyLou ------------------------------------"Western" , Washington (Another Vn750.com alumni if I'm not badly mistaken/perhaps close enough to me to ride together sometimes)
9) MathewWellington -------------------------- ? ?
10) jrweird1 ------------------------------------ ? ?
11) fastpakr ------------------------------------Roanoke , Virginia (added)
12) Sunday_cruiser----------------------------- ? ? (added) (pic attached)
13) Mmart--------------------------------------- ? Iowa (added) (pic attached)
14) ustazsifu------------------------------------ Malaysia

Attachments

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I had placed spaces between your names and your location but the forum software deleted those spaces. That's why there are question marks immediately after your screen names.

Edited: Somewhat corrected where the forum software deleted my original spacing. This is easier to read.

Additional: Aside from simply listing the total people with 750s that haunt this forum, hopefully, should people update with their locations, we can see if any other 750 driver is close enough to us perchance ride together. For example, as of the time I am typing this, codyk93 and fastpakr are both in Virginia while myself (Vn750Guy**) and LandyLou are in western Washington state.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Added fastpakr from Roanoke, Virginia

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where are you at, Xena?

Good pics.

·
Registered
699 Posts
So I'm curious,
I took a look at a 750 a few years back, but settled on a 500.
The test ride, for the little I rode it, was nice and it seemed to be good off the line.

Did they just not sell in big quantities or have they all hit the metal heap as scrap??

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Not sure on sales numbers... but the 750 is kind of a weird bike. Lots of people hated the styling, and it is an odd fit in terms of performance, technology, etc. On a relatively compact cruiser you get an integrated centerstand, shaft drive, a v-twin with an 8500RPM redline, and a complete instrument cluster including a fuel gauge. On the other hand, you're stuck with a finicky charging system that requires an engine pull for stator failure, factory assembly issues where the shaft drive splines were often left dry, and a few other smaller things. If you're willing to go through the effort, most of its flaws can be fixed and the bike is reliable for a long time. Many people weren't.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm also not sure about the numbers. But it did enjoy a 20 to 21 year production run, virtually unchanged. For the time period it was designed in, all of those things mentioned above, plus being water cooled, were really neat to have. Technology has surpassed it now, of course. I tend to look at that as a positive, though. It will never have fuel pump issues as there is no fuel pump. You don't need to worry about an obscure error code popping up on some screen since there is no ECU as in today's bike as well as no "screen" for the code to appear in.

The center stand is GREAT to have. As for the styling goes, yep, its clearly an early 80s design. It most definitely won't be confused with virtually 100% of today's bikes. Frankly, that's another positive to me since if I park mine in any group of bikes it'll always stand out.

It was discontinued in '06 so there's been lots of time for natural attrition of quite a few of them. Some people simply get fed up with stator changes and part out an otherwise good bike. Some are crapped out by accidents and some don't really get ridden much so they're low mileage. I believe Xena's has only @3K miles on it. That's LOW so it must have been a hanger queen as the USAF used to call a plane that spent too much time in a hangar instead of flying.

Its been years since I've seen another one on the road.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I love the look.
Today's new bikes are for the lost part all the same look and one I dont like it.
Just stuck on the 80 look I guess.

I do like the Honda CTX, and the Vulcan S.

AND who doesnt want a center stand, wish I had one!!

I didint know about the stator issue. Maybe good I didnt go that route.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't know if the 750 stator has a higher failure rate than any other particular type bike, but when it does crap out, it requires the motor to, if not come out entirely, then at least be tilted so as to replace it, just as fastpakr was saying.. The output of the stator isn't that much. More than enough for normal usage but not so much extra there for you to install additional electrical doo-dads. Unless……..

Drop the juice usage by changing old-style light bulbs with LED units and this'll free up power for GPS/phone charger/running lights or what have you.

Its a very good riding bike. Good handling. Lightweight. Sufficient power to get you into serious trouble.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is that a tool bag below the horns?

Like the highway pegs.

Your location?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not a toolbag, it's actually a light bar I tied into the high beam! The highway pegs are nice, built them out of some pipe and square tube last summer and I'm located right in the middle of Iowa

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Added you to the list!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I’m hoping to stay on the list for a bit. I’ve just lived through the dreaded stator failure. Not having a garage of my own I had to take it somewhere. Cost me 3 weeks of beautiful spring weather and more $$$ than I care to think about, but it still would’ve cost me more to buy another bike. I tell myself “the original stator lasted 14 yrs” if I get half of that out of this one I’ll be happy. I love this bike, but it’s my first bike and I know me and I know I’ll buy another one in a few years even if I keep it. The 750 has all the right stuff to be a classic. I’ve only seen one other since I got this one and I’m not sure it even runs.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I do know what you mean. I think I've only seen three since I bought this one off the showroom floor back in '06. They're rare. Which I like since it means they're a conversation piece.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yep, a lot were produced. Natural attrition, over all of those years has taken a toll, though. A lot probably bit the dirt in accidents, neglect, or things like stator failures caused owners to just scrap them out. Shame.

So I do like to read of older ones still on the road. Good basic design.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts