Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 98 Vulcan 750 with two more problems that are nagging me (yes, just got it back from the shop for the new stator, regulator *and* rectifier; thanks for asking).

1) The rear differential is leaking. Not puddles after parking, but more than a drop or two. The shop quoted $40 in parts (seals and o-rings) and $300 in labor. Is this a really difficult job, or requires special tools that make it a 'shop-only' job? Or is this something that your average handyman can tackle and expect a good outcome?

2) Can't get a good idle to save my life. No combination of choke and idle-speed adjustment screw will result in a smooth, stable idle. It's always dying or racing (like nearly 3G's racing). The shop also noticed it and said they couldn't find any vacuum leaks, and 'blew out the bowls' (although I'm not sure what that would do to help the situation). They also indicated that they didn't think a full carb rebuild would likely fix the problem.

Ideas on either? :confused:

·
Registered
941 Posts
First off the 750 is a great bike. I have one along with my 900. I am trying to sell the 750 but not much for bites. Second, you might be better to ask that question on a 750 site not a 900.

If I knew which seals you are needing on the rear diff I could tell you how easy it would be. I have a feeling it isn't that hard, just time consuming. And thats what they are charging for. It would be a 3-4 hour job, so $300 bucks sounds about right. You prob need to lube your splines while you are at it. Go to www.vn750.com they will have all your answers.

The idle issue. This bike is a pita as far as getting it to idle properly. The carbs are supposed to be constant velocity carbs, so they self balance. Blowing out the bowls isn't a bad thing, sometimes you will get build up in there. Have you run the bike with Seafoam yet? Also when you go onto to vn750.com check out the info on the adjustment screws that are on the sides of the carbs. You have to drill out these lead caps to get at them, but they will help things. I can't remember what they were called though. Also when are you adjusting the idle screw? Cuz you are only supposed to do that when the engine is completely warmed up.

If you post that post over there you will get some answers and much better ones then I put up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply and suggestions.

Yep, warmed up when messing with idle adjust, the shop last blew out the bowls, and been running Seafoam last couple of fill ups.

Thanks again, I;ll try vn750 and see what I get there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts