Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my previous 'life' I wrenched in recreational boating while doing all the maintenance on my '97 Vulcan 500LTD. This is a small project I was asked to help out with and I wanted to share it with you.

My employer has been in the process of restoring a '71 Harley Davidson Sprint 350SS. The project has been going on about three years now and was almost ready when I got brought on board.

When the bike was purchased as a 'basket case' (i.e. in many boxes) the speedometer showed 5,300 original miles. All painted parts were striped then painted HD Orange/Black. Logos were added where required. The wheels were cleaned and polished then respoked with new rubber installed. The seat was recovered as well. The engine builder had done a top-end job on it and cleaned up the outside of the cases but did not have enough time to get it installed in the frame. His painter, who reassembled most of the bike, finally got it running for a while but it stopped running and they couldn't get it restarted.

After several months of waiting he asked me if I would take a look at it. I accepted the challenge and took it home to begin troubleshooting it. The condenser seemed original so it got replaced as did the spark plug. It fired up almost immediately. To get it going smoother I inspected the carburetor. No problems here but it was worth a look.

Now that it was running I discovered that the generator wasn't charging. I am not familiar with generators (yet) so I dive into the service manual. Everything looks good except that the armature has some damage on the laminations that don't look good. It looks like it may have made contact with the field windings. Fortunately the armature checks good on a 'growler' with no shorts-to-ground. Replacing the regulator didn't help either. Finally, almost by accident, I replaced the blown dash indicator light bulb and it started charging!! WooHoo!!

Oh, did I mention that this is a 6V system? And kick start only? I have a new appreciation for an electric starter.

Anyway I delivered it to him on Monday and he was like a kid in a candy store. We unloaded it from my truck and he rode it around the parking lot. Then into the store and down the hallway to his wife's office to show it off.

Today it was put on display on a pedestal in the showroom of his lock and key business. See the attached pic. He may add a placard with information about it. And it will come down a couple of times a year for local bike shows.

Enjoy.

Attachments

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
aeromachi... eye'talian hardleys

bb, I remember seeing 2stroke hardley smokers being offered in the early 70s. Reading up on this those Sprints were made by Aeromachi-Italy for hardley. 1965-1974. pushrod single 25hp thumpers. seems hardley sold a bunch as they were better movers than thier vtwins did in those midevil dark ages.. 70s.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I had one of these (a '69 model) while in the Army (Ft. Bliss/El Paso, TX) back in '72/'73. A single 4 stroke jug!
Actually, it was kind of cool, but the stock seat was like sitting on a board and she did vibrate a lot.

J

·
0 Posts
Nice job on an interesting and fairly rare bike these days.

I owned a 1967 Sprint 'H' for a time around 1970, it looked like this example (not my bike in photo). Mine was in a neglected state when I bought it, but ran reasonably well. I love the looks of these 'big tank' Sprint 250's...

At the time, I thought it was a reasonably powerful bike suitable for extended highway travel, but this was a period when my last bike before the Sprint was an 8hp Honda S90. Nowdays, its' amazing to think that my 'big' Sprint motorcycle had no more, or perhaps even less hp than a modern Vespa GTS300 scooter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts