Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone here. i am new to this forum. and i hope everyone is doing well. thank you in advance for any info or feedback.
i recently purchased a 2008 vulcan 500. the previous owner had little info about the bike. she was a lil rough around the edges but engine sounds great though. On my test ride i only got here into 5th gear.
however i was under the impression that it was a 6 speed gearbox. and that all vulcan 500s within a certain year range came w a 6 speed gearbox. somehow, i only have 5 gears. i was thinking neutral counted as a gear? but that seems silly.
has anyone heard of an issue that would create an inability to shift into the 6th gear? or even a model of 2008 vulcan 500 that comes standard with a 5 speed? in all my researching, i have only found info to the contrary.

I wanted to take a longer trip but dont feel comfortable at higher speeds as the RPMs are very high at around 60 +. having that 6th gear would be a game changer and extend the life of my bike considerably.

a bit about the bike, she now has 15K miles. ( i got her at 14.4K) and the clutch feels like it could almost be time to have it redone. i have some issues clicking down into first gear when at a stop. Beyond that. i am in love with the bike. and everything about the way it rides. Thanks again and have a fantastic day evryone.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Yep there should be 6 gears.
Havent read any info that would keep you from accessing sixth.
And no neutral is not a gear, since you get to neutral from shifting out of all gears.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, Thanks for the info. that is what i thought. im wondering if perhaps the previous owner replaced the clutch with a different set of gears? i will call my mechanic and ask them what they think as well. hopefully it is an easy fix and can be sorted when i do the regular maintenance. thanks so much!

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Yep. There are most definitely 6 gears. Make sure that the shifter pedal has sufficient range to fully engage the shifter pawl. It could also be a bent or broken shifter fork. Repair would require a complete engine teardown. If you have the capability lift the rear tire and spin it then shift through the gears.(engine not running and clutch pulled in.)

The clutch shouldn’t be giving any trouble unless it was severely abused. I got over 120k miles from my original clutch plates and feel that I could have gone much longer. (The issue ended up being a stiff clutch cable and not the plates.)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much bill. Im going to look at that. my bike was dropped once and the shifter pedal was bent and required me to manually rebend it to the place i thought it should be. im going to look at it again.
thanks for your time and knowledge! Dan

·
Registered
8 Posts
My 2007 had only 8,000 km when I got it: practically new ! I found the shifting difficult, and could not figure out where the 6th gear resided because I never felt that I was in it at all. I also found it rather tedious to keep shifting up and finding nothing. And then the other day I was on the highway doing 100 km/h and felt that the bike was looking for another gear. So, I shifted up and lo and behold, it felt like a weight had lifted off the bike and it was easier to accelerate: no labouring sound , smoothed right out.
I don't think the PO ever had the bike over 80 km/h. He also owned a Yamaha Majesty 400 and used it more than the Vulcan. I put on 2,000 km in the 2 months of ownership: it is getting a delayed break-in and getting limber !!! A pleasant bike to ride now, I am also getting to know it better.

Jay.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts